Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ncbrian

Lofty Ideas - Downtown Building Tour

10 posts in this topic

In collabration with the Piedmont Craftsmen guild, a group of downtown enthusiants are having their second annual Lofty Ideas tour this Saturday. This tour will visit homes in the downtown area including Goler Heights, Nissen Apartments, the research park, restaurant row and the West End.

There are two tours: the afternoon tour from 11am-4pm which costs $15 and the evening tour from 5:30-8:00pm which costs $35 but will include hors'd'oeuvres and beverages.

It looks like fun and quite informative for someone contemplating downtown living in Winston but is not quite sure yet.

In collabration with the Piedmont Craftsmen guild, a group of downtown enthusiants are having their second annual Lofty Ideas tour this Saturday. This tour will visit homes in the downtown area including Goler Heights, Nissen Apartments, the research park, restaurant row and the West End.

There are two tours: the afternoon tour from 11am-4pm which costs $15 and the evening tour from 5:30-8:00pm which costs $35 but will include hors'd'oeuvres and beverages.

It looks like fun and quite informative for someone contemplating downtown living in Winston but is not quite sure yet.

Thanks for the post. I will definately have to check this out.

I went on the Lofty Ideas tour in downtown Winston-Salem today. The tour included The Gallery Lofts, Piedmont Leaf Lofts, Albert Hall, TarBranch, Nissen Building. The Gallery Lofts has a model open now and I was impressed with the high end design and layout. These units will probably sell fast now that they have a model. TarBranch Ct. was nice also, and I loved the views from the Nissen building. To bad their not selling the Nissen building as condos. I did not care for Piedmont Leaf Lofts. I don't think Rehab builders did a very good job on this building. It was dark, and too industrial for my taste. There seem to be alot of people doing the tour. I had ticket number 1031 for the daytime tour and there is also a stary night tour beginning at 5:30 to 9:00.

Did anyone else go on the Loft Tour? I would really like to hear more opinions about the different projects and if anyone has an photos to share of the interiors of some of these projects that would be greatly appreciated.

just looking at some of the interior shots on the net...im not a fan of piedmont leaf lofts either. has work started on The Gallery yet?

Did anyone else go on the Loft Tour? I would really like to hear more opinions about the different projects and if anyone has an photos to share of the interiors of some of these projects that would be greatly appreciated.

I know there were over 1000 people on the day tour and I am not sure about he night tour, but there was a constant flow of people all day. The Gallery has an open model that you can tour 7 days a week. Just stop by there and ask to see the model. Nissen Apts also has a model on the 14 floor. Don't waste your time on Piedmont Leaf Lofts. I wonder if the people who bought these regret their decision now. If all lofts looked like PLL, I would definitely change my mind about loft living.

just lookng at some of the interiror shots on the net...im not a fan of piedmont leaf lofts either. has work started on The Gallery yet?

No work has started on The Gallery yet, but they do have a open model now. I have to admit that I was impressed with The Gallery model, and it takes a lot to impress me. They have to pre-sale a certain percentage before rennovation can begin. They said they had pre-sold 10 percent of 77 lofts on Saturday, so I assume they have sold 8 to 10 lofts, but these people had faith to purchase without seeing a model. I think that now they have a model The Gallery Lofts should sale out pretty quickly. After seeing the Piedmont Leaf Lofts, I would not purchase anything downtown without seeing a model first.

There was a Scott Sexton column today in the Winston Journal that focused on the issue of why is that the developers of the new condos and such are pricing the units out of reach of the young adult markets. Apparently, empty nesters are the ones doing most of the purchasing. That is not necessarily a bad thing as this demographic tends to have a lot of disposable income which will help support much of the arts and restaurant businesses downtown. However, if Winston-Salem wants to retain the young adult demographic that it is losing to Charlotte and Atlanta, it is going to need to have better priced accomodations downtown. I agree with Sexton's assessment that a much better mix of units need to be available. Considering that the Burke St area has a a bit of mindshare among the college crowd, perhaps some developers can consider some infill development with lower price apartment units in that area while leaving the higher price units at the other end of the Fourth St.

There was a Scott Sexton column today in the Winston Journal that focused on the issue of why is that the developers of the new condos and such are pricing the units out of reach of the young adult markets. Apparently, empty nesters are the ones doing most of the purchasing. That is not necessarily a bad thing as this demographic tends to have a lot of disposable income which will help support much of the arts and restaurant businesses downtown. However, if Winston-Salem wants to retain the young adult demographic that it is losing to Charlotte and Atlanta, it is going to need to have better priced accomodations downtown. I agree with Sexton's assessment that a much better mix of units need to be available. Considering that the Burke St area has a a bit of mindshare among the college crowd, perhaps some developers can consider some infill development with lower price apartment units in that area while leaving the higher price units at the other end of the Fourth St.

I agree 100%. I don't know why they are pricing these condos so high in Winston. Greensboro seems to have better prices with an average around 200,000 compared to 1,000,000 in WS. Without a younger demographich downtown will remain DEAD. They should at least build some reasonably priced apartments or something downtown for younger folks who cannot afford condos and townhomes.

LTPostcardImage08.jpg

Piedmont Craftsmen Lofty Ideas Tour 2008

Lofty Ideas Tour 2008 returns on Saturday, April 12th with residences in Piedmont Leaf Lofts, Tar Branch Towers, Traders Row and the West End Village along with others open for the public.

Day Dream Tour - 11:00am - 4pm ($15)

Starry Night Tour & Reception - 5:30pm - 8pm ($35)

http://www.piedmontcraftsmen.org/special-events.htm