Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

plus2

Toyota Assembly Plant

17 posts in this topic

probably somewhere in Guilford Co. It would be nice if they are considering a site in Forsyth as well, but i doubt it. this sounds like a GSO project so far. The Triad cant handle another "Dell" situation.

this would be good for Greensboro!

This indeed would be good for Greensboro. This would bring to Triad back as the manufacturing center of the Southeast.

This indeed would be good for Greensboro. This would bring to Triad back as the manufacturing center of the Southeast.

Umm, that's a very optimistic statement when the furniture industry is fiddling like Nero while Vegas rips the market away from High Pt.

I say stop looking back at manufacturing as the way to go forward, and start looking forward at intellectual capital jobs, like tech and biotech jobs. Moreover, start looking at the area in more progressive tones, rather than outdated notions.

I think the Triad need to RUN from manufacturing as fast as we can. We need to develop our finance, biotech, service, medical, and education sectors as fast as we can! While we will never completely shake manufacturing, we will not be able to compete with low wages in other countries to maintain a stable manufacturing base in our area. While, I do say Toyota would be a nice feather in our cap, that by no means would stop the bleeding we are feeling in manufacturing.

Look at what's happening with furniture and textiles. Just wait till the motor companies in China and India start exporting cars here that we can buy for less than $10K. Once they get their quality on par, not only will the US big 3 have more to worry about, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Hyundai will have headaches as well!

I just found this news out. This would be great for Greensboro and the Triad. Guilford County already has connections with the automotive industry. VolVo Trucks of North America is headqurted in Greensboro. Dana Corp in eastern Guilford County makes axles for Ford pick up trucks and a textile company in Greensboro makes fabrics for car interiors. Certainly FedEx is a big reason Toyota is look at the Greensboro area and thats a clear advantage over the competition. Greensboro's competition is Roanoke, Chattanooga and Northeast Arkansas.

This is a big deal for the Triad in raising its image. First we got FedEx, then Dell and now maybe Toyota. I have a difficult time seeing Toyota pick Roanoke. There is no interstate access there and the logistics just doesnt exist there. That leaves Chattanooga and Northern Arkansas. like Dell, Toyota would attract many suppliers to the area so this is a big boon for the Triad.

"It's a very good fit. We have a transportation, shipping logistics cluster in this area. So we have an array of trucking firms and auto parts manufacturers and so on."

It has come out in this article and others that Toyota has approached some people in Davidson county to buy their land to build their next vehicle assembly plant. If this happens, it will be the first mainline auto manufacturing plant in NC. (school buses and trucks are manufactured in the Piedmont)

Toyota has to like that NC is not a Union state if nothing else. What is the timeframe for training/expertise on assembly jobs like these? Would they locate due to the many furniture industry people out of work or is this high skilled labor only?

very interesting. If it happens it will be another big score for the Triad and the State.

That couple will get some serious money from Toyota. I wish I owned that land.

Is this the same project that was also scouting potential sites in Roanoke and Chattanooga as well?

Reading in one article on this, one MAJOR thing against the NC site is that it's not ready to build on. This has a good chance of knocking the Davidson Co. site out of contention. However, Toyota has further N.American expansion plans, so if we could get a group to purchase the land and prep it, it would make our site much more appealing.

(still hoping for the long shot since we've made the cut to the final five!!)

It appears that poor air-quality in Davidson Co (as determined by the EPA) was one of the major factors against its selection for Toyota's next manufacturing plant. Davidson Co. has been fighting the EPA on this, as well as blaming surrounding cities (read=Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem) for their pollution problems.

Fox8 WGHP Article about Davidon's County's loss of chance for Toyota Plant