The future of Falls Park?

StrangeCock

I think we can all agree that the area's transformation over the last three years has been nothing short of a miracle. The place is beautiful and people are flocking downtown in record numbers. Therein lies the problem.

At lunch today there were hordes of people, mostly families and kids, romping around all over the place. The upper part of the falls is particularly popular, with kids running from one side of the river to the other. Looks like fun. But what happens when the first kid steps on a piece of glass, or God forbid, go over the edge of the watefall? With the number of people that were out today, it's bound to happen at some point.

Then the lawyers would come in and the lawsuits would start flying. And the city would have to swoop in and shut the place down (restrict access to certain areas) to prevent further lawsuits. No more fun. I hate to bring the forum down, but in today's litigious society...it's only a matter of time. Sad. The city needs to put up some sort of legal signage that basically says, whatever happens here is YOUR repsonsibility...not the city's.

Even more disgusting today was a family of rednecks near the new Riverwalk section. The father and his two kids were all tossing rocks at a poor duck out in the water. The two girls sucked at it, but the father had pretty good aim and was obviously trying to nail the duck! It was sickening.

We all love the park...but with anything that becomes this popular, you're going to have problems. Thoughts?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually there is a sign...i can't remember the exact verbage but it does say that it is dangerous to climb on the rocks....I also think that it is pretty sad that parents no longer feel that they are responsible for there childs actions, if a kid gets hurt 9 times out of 10 the parent should be held responsible, it amazes me how much people do not attend to their children and their behavior whether it be climbing on rocks or screaming and running around a retaurant (i hate having my nice meal ruined by somebodies screaming kid)...if you can't control them don't have them.... :angry:

I was at Falls Park, yesterday afternoon, Easter Sunday. I figured that there would be a mob there, and there was.

There were a lot of folks real close to the edge of the falls, dangerously so, including some young kids, and folks who should know better.

There is a sign that climbing on the rocks is not allowed. I expect that should clear the city of legal responsibility, though you never know.

The best thing that can happen is for Cleveland Park West to open, a more inviting Linky stone park, even the rejuvenated Conestee facility in Mauldin, taking pressure off of Falls Park.

Otherwise, I expect the city to have slowly increasing measures to slow the mob down. I'm expecting more 'keep off grass' signs. With the lack of rain we had, the slopes of the Park will be stripped of grass soon, causing an ugly mess. I'm expecting the popluarity of the park even affecting the upcoming Shakespeare season, with park crowds encroaching on or not being respectful of the play.

I do expect a slow release of restrictions from the city to control the park's popularity.

Otherwise, I expect the city to have slowly increasing measures to slow the mob down. I'm expecting more 'keep off grass' signs. With the lack of rain we had, the slopes of the Park will be stripped of grass soon, causing an ugly mess. I'm expecting the popluarity of the park even affecting the upcoming Shakespeare season, with park crowds encroaching on or not being respectful of the play.

Falls Park has automatic sprinkler systems, so too little rain isn't why the grass is dying, it is because of too much foot traffic. See the problem is that the city used Fescue or Kentucky Blue Grass throughout most of the park which can't handle foot traffic well instead of Bermuda which can handle foot traffic well.

At one time, there were police patrols which kept people out of the dangerous parts of the falls, too. I didn't see any of this during this past weekend. Granted, the river was running low and the rocks were more enticing; however, it's no less dangerous. My daughter saw the other kids out there and wanted to join them and made it rather difficult for me to tell her, "no." I won out though. I didn't give in. :D

Falls Park has automatic sprinkler systems, so too little rain isn't why the grass is dying, it is because of too much foot traffic. See the problem is that the city used Fescue or Kentucky Blue Grass throughout most of the park which can't handle foot traffic well instead of Bermuda which can handle foot traffic well.

The correct type of grass appears to have been used in the correct parts of the park. The long blade grasses (Fescue, Kentucky Bluegrass, etc.) don't withstand sunshine and heat as well as the Bermuda. If you look at the park closely, you'll find that the Main Garden and Pond Garden are covered with Bermuda. The taller blades are used in shaded areas (under the bridge, around the old mill ruins, etc.).

The type of grass isn't the problem as much as the foot traffic in general. I agree. The traffic that Falls Park is seeing is all the more reason to expand the park system along the Reedy River and to properly connect Falls Park with Cleveland Park and to provide more attractions for people in Cleveland Park, too).

I'm not so sure this "Urban Wilderness" area is going to properly connect the two parks as well as they could be connected. I'd also personally like to see the Greenville Zoo expand as much as possible down into Cleveland Park more, as long as the animals would be kept safe from the dangers of flooding. It just doesn't seem to me that the City of Greenville does enough to encourage visitors to go to the Zoo. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's the impression I get.

It is funny that just the other day I thought how great it is that we can be free to ENJOY the park and falls without worrying about someone kicking us out for having fun. Let the kids play and let the parents manage their own children responsibly. This is why I love Falls Park so much; watching everyone having fun in their own way is infectious. As for the foot traffic, that is what we want. A public park is best when it is being simultaneously enjoyed by lots of people. This is the reason I am in love with Falls Park and Main Street. Now if the City could find a way to attract more foot traffic up river toward Linky Stone Park, that would be great. I suppose RiverPlace will certainly help in that regard. :shades:

It is funny that just the other day I thought how great it is that we can be free to ENJOY the park and falls without worrying about someone kicking us out for having fun. Let the kids play and let the parents manage their own children responsibly. This is why I love Falls Park so much; watching everyone having fun in their own way is infectious.

Sorry if my original rant came off as kind of elitist. That's the last thing I want. I love the park for all the same reasons you've mentioned. I just fear for the day when one small mishap leads to the end of fun for everyone.

Sorry if my original rant came off as kind of elitist. That's the last thing I want. I love the park for all the same reasons you've mentioned. I just fear for the day when one small mishap leads to the end of fun for everyone.

If that day arrives, I will think far less of this city. I grew up in an era when kids were encouraged to have fun in their own way and not be bound by rediculous rules, other than those of their parents. :rolleyes:

This subject is tough. It's very much like the state of our national parks....they are so popular that visitors are doing major damage.

The fact that the city is posting keep off grass signs and restrictions is positive in that it will keep the park what it is, a lush green park. Hopefully the restrictions will be relaxed once spring has passed, and hopefully Falls Park won't tun into the barren desert that our nations capital calls "The Mall".

I do think it's every citizen of Greenville's responsibility to take care of the park....I'm a dog owner and I poopy scoop. Some may say it's not my business, but I politely spoke up to a woman recently in the park who had finished her lunch and was dumping the chicken bones on the ground.

When I moved to DC, one of the first things I noticed (and was surprised to see) was how unhealthy the grass was on the National Mall. I always thought it was well-kept and pretty and green, but much of it is dirt where the grass has died. I think the problem there is that there is so much foot traffic, rather than neglect by DC. Hopefully that will not happen in Falls Park, especially since the landscaping is so pretty and well-done.

That is pathetic that someone would dump chicken bones on the ground! What did that woman expect would happen to them?!? It is highly unlikely that a garbage can was too far out of her way.

I don't think we have to worry about too much foot traffic on the grass in Falls Park - pending the future expansion of the Reedy River Corridor to the north and south of downtown. Once 160 acres of relatively open green space is available to the west/north, the pressure will be lessened considerably. Plus, Artisphere and Fall for Greenville happen once a year each. As I said earlier, I love hoards of people ranging in broad age variation enjoying the park, the river, and the falls. It makes our city a far better place to live. :wub:

• 1 month later...

That photograph is right on. Not to rain on the parade or be a drag....but rocks on waterfalls can get slippery, particularly if there's algae growing, and most people wouldn't be springing out of bed the day after they took a spill down the falls. I was fortunate to survive such a fall with nothing but a well-bruised tailbone. But I couldn't walk for days the bruising was so deep. And I'm pretty sure I lived only because I had a 50 lb. pack. I forget where I saw the picture recently of people playing around on the falls and I thought that was crazy. What's the over/under on the number of days until the first ICU/CCU stay resulting from an accident at or near the falls? I'm thinking about 60 days.

As I was taking this photo, there were young people bounding from rock to rock out in the middle of the falls. This is what prompted me to take this photo, actually. Keep in mind, this was around 10:30pm (after the posted hours for the park). At least the city seems to have their liability covered by having these signs posted. They obviously realize it's a matter of time before somebody does something stupid.

I can definitely relate to the bruised tailbone, but it was from falling while playing basketball on a clay court in my brother's back yard in Lake Wylie. I wouldn't want to risk a fall on the rocks in Falls Park. -_-

Archived