The future of Falls Park?

StrangeCock

The city wasted no time putting up new signs around the falls stating that climbing on the rocks and sliding on the falls is strictly prohibited. It's almost as if they already had the signs fabricated and waiting for just such an accident. I didn't have the camera this evening, so I have no photos to share. You can't miss them though, if you go down by the river. They're big and green and have the city script 'g' logo on them.

Also, someone made some very large signs out of plywood and bright green paint saying "DO NOT SWIM!!! CONTAMINATED WATER!!!" I'm not sure what that's all about, but the signs are quite unprofessional.

Being downtown was odd this evening. There were HUGE crowds of people up along Main Street everywhere, yet walking down into falls park, what had in the recent past been the epicenter of activity downtown, there were hardly any people. The river was empty (even above the falls between Main Street and the falls). There were a few people up on the liberty bridge enjoying the view. There were one or two people down below the falls on the rocks. That was it. So it seems, at least for now, that the signage is working.

I have to wonder...has the city ever thought of dredging out the pool at the bottom of the sliding rocks and perhaps even pouring something like a soft play surface to make that catch pool a little more safe? Then, station someone like a lifeguard at the base of the falls and allow sliding between certain hours (say noon and sundown on Saturday and Sunday only) as long as the slider understands that it is at their own risk? Perhaps even sell tickets which act as a contract which waives liability? Just a thought. I guess it's a moot point now.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure the Reedy has seen worse than sewer. Or it has seen the equivilent. It didn't get a name for being smelly in the past for nothing.

I must admit that sliding on the rocks does look incredibly fun. I wonder if the city can make it safe? :rolleyes:

How is the grass doing this year? Is the popularity still causing a problem for it?

^ Will you guys bail me out of jail? I have no plans to stop playing on the rocks.

I'm sick and tired of the general public trying to dummyproof the world. If parents don't want their children hurt, then dang it, they should be parents, exercise some control and keep their kids off the rocks. It really is quite simple.

^ :lol:

I was talking with someone in the legal profession today, and he doesn't think the city can enforce this "no playing on the rocks" as this is a river (which rivers are public) and it wasn't a man-made structure built by the city. :dontknow: I have a feeling we may see another "can we smoke or not" scenario.

If people would take responsibility for themselves, their children, their pets, etc., then we wouldn't have to even consider government intervention. But unfortunately some people don't understand that concept (or worse, they don't care). The sad thing is that we all want freedom, yet some people ruin that freedom for everyone. So what is the solution?

If people would take responsibility for themselves, their children, their pets, etc., then we wouldn't have to even consider government intervention. But unfortunately some people don't understand that concept (or worse, they don't care). The sad thing is that we all want freedom, yet some people ruin that freedom for everyone. So what is the solution?

Archived