The future of Falls Park?

StrangeCock

I noticed while looking through my photos from last night, in a few of them, there was a man standing out on one of the big rocks in the middle of the left side of the falls holding a toddler/baby in his arms. It's things such as this which make me question people's common sense sometimes. :blink:

• 1 month later...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I meet with someone from the city's park staff (about a different issue) and learned a few things about our park system.

The city now has 450 beatification sites in the city (with is up from 75 20 years ago).

Unofficially Fall's park is experiencing 10 time the visitors than expected.

The City has way more request for advent's (wedding, photo shots etc.) for fall's park than the park can handle.

The people of Greenville are loving Fall's park to death and the city is trying to come up with a plan to disburse advents to other parts of the park system.

Was advised that the Rock Quarry garden is no longer a secret and has become a very popular for wedding and events also. The city has become so busy that the park staff is starting to do more night time project. If you go for early morning walk the park staff are very busy through out Greenville.

The staff is very pushed for time but very proud of their parks.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

I meet with someone from the city's park staff (about a different issue) and learned a few things about our park system.

The city now has 450 beatification sites in the city (with is up from 75 20 years ago).

Unofficially Fall's park is experiencing 10 time the visitors than expected.

The City has way more request for advent's (wedding, photo shots etc.) for fall's park than the park can handle.

The people of Greenville are loving Fall's park to death and the city is trying to come up with a plan to disburse advents to other parts of the park system.

Was advised that the Rock Quarry garden is no longer a secret and has become a very popular for wedding and events also. The city has become so busy that the park staff is starting to do more night time project. If you go for early morning walk the park staff are very busy through out Greenville.

The staff is very pushed for time but very proud of their parks.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

I can attest to this being true. I have been seeing them out working quite early. It is all paying off tremendously. I really like hearing that the traffic is "10-times" more than expected, because when Falls Park was being built, it was envisioned as a regional, national, and even international treasure. I would say it has easily reached that status, at least on a small level. Literally EVERY time I walk through Falls Park, I meet new people visiting for the first time. Many are from other places in the nation, but many are also from other nations around the globe. While I would agree that the Rock Quarry Garden has become popular to many local residents, I wonder how well known it is among visitors? It is still a great little secret, IMO. The same can be said of the Fernwood Nature Trail, a real gem in the heart of the city. :shades:

• 2 months later...

DSCF1571.jpg

I know this is a very strange view of the Reedy river but I am amazed at how clear the water has become.

IMO the water is much clearer than in the past. After a storm the river is still very muddy but seems to clear up quicker.

No sure what has caused this but sure glad to see it. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Jim Bourey says the City plans to add extra security guard sureillance to enforce the new ban, which he plans to introduce to the council very soon. (view here) I agree with charlie swords completely. WHERE are the parents these days? Why should everyone suffer as a result of the ignorance of a few parents? There is a great letter to the editor printed in the current edition of the Greenville Journal which asks this same question, but in regard to the performance in schools.

i assumed that since they referred to her as a "young girl" and stated that her name and age were unavailable that she was under 18.

and i think its going to be hard, even with extra security, to keep all those people out of there on a hot summer afternoon...especially on the weekend.

I really just don't see how this could be considered the cities fault in any way. Its a public park, and no one forces people to play in the water.

It's no different than if I go rock climbing up in the mountains and fall. I'm taking the risk, But then again, obviously its the state's fault for having rocks in their park for me to climb.

I view this situation as exactly the same one most public pools face. You notice the sign on the fence that says, "No lifeguard on duty. Enter at your own risk." To me that means have fun and be careful, which is exactly what I have enjoyed about Falls Park and its attraction to the countless families of the Upstate. To hinder this attraction in any way will be a major blow to Greenville's local and regional "tourism," in my opinion. :unsure:

The Greenville News states that it was a 12 year old girl. They don't know her current condition. I hope she is well and is able to learn from the experience. The main point of the article, though, is about Jim Bourey bringing the prohibition to the city council. IMO, the threat of fines will do little to stop people from taking chances. Of course, that may be the point. Maybe this is just CYA.

Archived