MetroCenter

ATLBrain

It's kind of a love-hate that I have with Metrocenter since it's so suburban in nature. However, it probably keeps some companies close to town (as opposed to going to Williamson). I haven't checked out the area in years, but I've heard there has been steady development there in recent years. It looks like the state government has discovered MC as an alternative to DT.

Does anybody have any info on the new state office building in Metrocenter?

How about any pictures? Is there any hope of building an urban presence there?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have warm fuzzies where MetroCenter is concerned. As a young 'un in the '70s, I attended one of the first ground-breakings for the buildings that would rise there. After seeing the finished products, I developed a nice healthy disgust of suburban-style office parks, one that remains as visceral today as if seeing a lovely female runway swimsuit model with 5 O'Clock shadow and a prominent pelvic bulge. :blink:

I use the MetroCenter greenway regularly [this evening was especially nice], and I think it's too bad the area isn't more densely developed. The lake around which the failed Fountain Square sits is actually really cool. Someone should revamp that entire area and add some condos on the water, then maybe re-introduce retail. I like the idea of cutting a canal from the lake to the Cumberland and making it a marina.

I've stated the same thing on this site before. Why are people here so upset with Williamson county taking all the campus-style offices, when metrocenter was designed for the exact same thing! If Metro wanted 'metrocenter' to be successful, they need to compete with the tax breaks that Williamson county offers. I think Metrocenter is a very nice area of town as I've been through there many times. But Nashville can't just back and say "we're Nashville, people will just come here because they have to." No, they'll come to the area and then move to Williamson county.

I grew up in North Nashville walking distance from Fountain Square and Metro center.

When the Mall opened up everything seemed to be going well, however when they closed the doors

things seemed to fall apart. First Service merchandise closed there distribution center, which

took a few jobs away then Nortel or Northern Telecom left. What happened to it, I dont know :huh:

They need to do something with that dead weight mall and create space for an office tower or something.

One good thing about Metro center though is the Titans Practice Facilities :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey

The area across the street from the Cadillac/Hummer dealership is cleared off and leveled. They are planning to put something over in that area. Does anybody know what it is?

First if the area you are talking about is behind Crest Hummer, then it is The Parc @ Metro Center apartments.

If the area you are talking about is behind the Arbys down Vantage way on the left (on French Lick)then that is a new State office building.

There was a permit issued for 230 Athens way for the Department of labor building. I think this is in addition to the one on French Lick. It is going to be 240,000 square feet. Thats all I can find out at this time. I think William will get some more info.

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to give you guys an update for Metro Center.

Almost Completed and under construction:

The Preserve @ Metro apartments

A new Star Bucks @ Metro Center and Dominican Dr

The Parc @ Metro apartments

The Tennessee Bankers new HQ and Training Center

New four story State office building on French Landing

Planned

New HQ for Big Brothers adn Sisters of MD TN

New Lexis of Metro Center dealership

This is not to mention the recently completed:

Mother house expansion adn renovation

Watkins college of Art dorms

Tenn-Care HQ

There are probably a few more I have missed.

If the Neuhoff project ever gets off the ground and more projects are started in German town and Salem town, then this area will be tied in nicely to DT. I do not look at Metro Center as a detractor for the CBD but as a plus. There is still a lot of potential here.

Metro has plans to tie in all the green way space into one and that would include the Metro Center Greenway to the river walk DT. It will be a very walkable are in the near future.

Metrocenter saddens me. There should be no development like that so close to the urban center of such a large city. From the perspective of building a coherent and fully connected urban community environment, the place is a disaster and an eyesore. This is just my opinion of course, but it is on some really prime land and I hope somebody does something with it soon.

Just wanted to give you guys an update for Metro Center.

Almost Completed and under construction:

The Preserve @ Metro apartments

A new Star Bucks @ Metro Center and Dominican Dr

The Parc @ Metro apartments

The Tennessee Bankers new HQ and Training Center

New four story State office building on French Landing

Planned

New HQ for Big Brothers adn Sisters of MD TN

New Lexis of Metro Center dealership

This is not to mention the recently completed:

Mother house expansion adn renovation

Watkins college of Art dorms

Tenn-Care HQ

There are probably a few more I have missed.

If the Neuhoff project ever gets off the ground and more projects are started in German town and Salem town, then this area will be tied in nicely to DT. I do not look at Metro Center as a detractor for the CBD but as a plus. There is still a lot of potential here.

Metro has plans to tie in all the green way space into one and that would include the Metro Center Greenway to the river walk DT. It will be a very walkable are in the near future.

Just curious...where has it been announced in regards to a Lexus of Metrocenter dealership?

Bna, what would you rather have there? 5 years ago, I might agree that metrocenter was 'sad.' But now, with 5% vacancy, seems like a need has been filled.

I want Metrocenter to stay there. I just want it to be reworked so it at least functions like the urban neighborhood that it should be. Would you disagree with that? I'm not saying I want the entire thing bulldozed. I just want the existing structures and businesses to be kept and worked into a new urban community. Rework the street grid. Add in some parks. Rework the parking, and add in some new urban residential and retail options. That kind of thing. As I said before, in my opinion there should be no room for such a blatantly private and auto-centric development so close to the public urban and community center of the entire city.

Just curious...where has it been announced in regards to a Lexus of Metrocenter dealership?

This weeks NBJ. The zoning was approve last month or August one. I remember seeing it on the zoning docket.

One thing to consider about Metro Center is that it was a land fill before it was used as an office park. At the time I think it was a good development for Nashville. One thing that could happen there which would be good would be a few mid rise apartment adn condo buildings. Its not going anywhere and there is nothing that can be done about it now.

I personally think metrocenter is great the way it is. It's an office park, not a community, so why add apartments and parks, etc..? I think it's a well planned, attractive office park with great mid-rise towers.

Maybe this falls under 'the grass is always greener on the other side' syndrome? In La Vergne, we have a TON of residential living and industrial offices, but very little retail. In Metrocenter, there are plenty of offices but no residential living. We all just want what we don't have?

I personally think metrocenter is great the way it is. It's an office park, not a community, so why add apartments and parks, etc..? I think it's a well planned, attractive office park with great mid-rise towers.

Maybe this falls under 'the grass is always greener on the other side' syndrome? In La Vergne, we have a TON of residential living and industrial offices, but very little retail. In Metrocenter, there are plenty of offices but no residential living. We all just want what we don't have?

Rocky Top, A reason to add housing is that it makes it more vibrant. If you have peole that live there, it does not become a ghost town at night. That makes it feel safer after the offices close at 5:00. Having customers that use services in the evening as well as the day makes it more likely to achieve the economies of scale to have a successful business. ex: You want to open a restaurant and you can depend on dinner as well as lunch traffic you stand a better chance of success. Cleaners, other services. Having additional services located close to work makes it easier to handle errands during lunch. All and all it creates a better more livable area.

Archived