Nashville 'Hoods: Elliston-West End

Lexy

The first in a series of neighborhood tours of Nashville is Elliston-West End. Elliston is a historical hood that sets inside the greater West End neighborhood. It is only a few blocks by a few blocks in size for the most part. Probably one of the smallest neighborhoods in the city as a whole, but definatly one of the more interesting. Very hip, energetic, young, and liberal (thank god)...the Elliston neighborhood sits directly in the middle of the Medical District of West End. Business' flourish along Elliston Place and Church Street, the main arteries. Baptist Hospital is directly beside Elliston and Vanderbilt University is only one block away as well.

Housing stock is pretty impressive for the most part, but urban renewal took a toll on the area. Some structures were saved though, which is always a good thing.

Here we go....

New mixed-use construction.

58813826.aelliston1.jpg

Exit/In. The single best place to find local and national live music in the city. This is a locals hangout.

58813840.aelliston2.jpg

The End. Another great place to see live bands.

58813858.aelliston3.jpg

Clothing store.

58813877.aelliston4.jpg

Music shop and the only real soda fountain left int he city. This place is historical.

58813946.aelliston5.jpg

Corporate money sucking off the hospital.

58814052.aelliston6.jpg

Part of the district.

58814096.aelliston7.jpg

Good sushi bar.

58814139.aelliston8.jpg

Back the other direction.

58814149.aelliston9.jpg

Some housing stock.

58814168.aelliston10.jpg

58814178.aelliston11.jpg

58814201.aelliston12.jpg

58814213.aelliston13.jpg

Random.

58814222.aelliston14.jpg

58814250.aelliston15.jpg

58814272.aelliston16.jpg

58814279.aelliston17.jpg

58814285.aelliston18.jpg

Skyline from Elliston.

58814311.aelliston19.jpg

Best coffee shop in town. Cafe CoCo.

58814403.aelliston20.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...Probably one of the smallest neighborhoods in the city as a whole, but definatly one of the more interesting. Very hip, energetic, young, and liberal (thank god)

Oh, snap ! There goes the neighborhood. :blink:

Where all the hip, energetic, young, and Conservative neighborhoods ? I want one for muh ! :cry:

(Nice pics as always, dude). :thumbsup:

Oh, snap ! There goes the neighborhood. :blink:

Where all the hip, energetic, young, and Conservative neighborhoods ? I want one for muh ! :cry:

(Nice pics as always, dude). :thumbsup:

I've already done Franklin last year. LMAO!!!

Seriously....I am getting there. Nashville is a big city ya know. LOL!

Thanks for the pics, Lexy. I lived in this 'hood for about 4 years, and I really miss it. You have a picture of my former apartment building posted [the one with "The West End" above the door.] There's so much to like about the area.

Did you like the apartments? I ask cause one is open on the ground floor and I mentioned it to Casey last night. She said they were expensive though.

Lexy,

Great pics, as always. I can't wait till you give the treatment to my old stompin' grounds in 12South. They have their home tour this weekend (Saturday). I'll post a link in a new thread in case anyone is interested.

Did I ever share my Nashville urban neighborhood maps with you?

Did you like the apartments? I ask cause one is open on the ground floor and I mentioned it to Casey last night. She said they were expensive though.

I reeeeally liked my apartment. In that buliding, all the units are the same plan, but each has a different character based on previous tenants. The owner will let you make improvements, but he won't reimburse you. Not sure what rents are now, but I only paid $525/mo. including water. Cosmetically, the buildings are in poor shape and in need of maintenance. There was a leak from the bathtub in the apt above mine, and it caused my entire bathroom ceiling to collapse one night! I had warned the landlord that it would happen, and he didn't do anything about it until after the fact. Anyway, the buildings have a lot of character nonetheless. Overall, it was a pleasant and affordable place to live and I recommend it.

Archived