Louisiana Weather

richyb83

WOW Brian!!! That is insane! I saw the radar up in N.La but had no idea how bad it was, thanks for the update! I saw some Shreveport footage this afternoon on The Weather Channel of the streets. I was about to ask how things are up there?? Crazy just how powerful moving water is!

We are getting heavy rain now...training effect. The heavy rain extends in a very large area from Hammond to Lafayette. Had some Tornado Warnings earlier in Livingston; now in St.Tammany. Golf-ball sized hail in WBR. Suspended flights at the BR Airport.

A Flash Flood Warning was just announced for BR. Water in some homes already in Denham Springs. Supposed to last another couple hours. To be continued.....will go check my rain gauge in backyard when this is over.

Radar Nate posted from May 3rd looks alot like that again, now!

Edited by richyb83

CHECK THIS OUT! :scared: This was the front page of the Advocate in this mornings paper. No Tornadoes; however a funnel cloud was sighted in Satsuma(Livingston Parish) Schools closed in Livingston, and northern EBR with power outages due to high winds of 60-70mph; and even one report of 90!!! A few roofs were ripped off of businesses and churches. Golf-ball-sized Hail too.

I got 3.75" of rain yesterday and an additional 2.25" this morning for a total of 6 inches; still nothing like Shreveport. Quite an impressive Spring storm! A good water table reserve for the long hot dry Summer months??

areastorms051508cc6.jpg

CHECK THIS OUT! :scared: This was the front page of the Advocate in this mornings paper. No Tornadoes; however a funnel cloud was sighted in Satsuma(Livingston Parish) Schools closed in Livingston, and northern EBR with power outages due to high winds of 60-70mph; and even one report of 90!!! A few roofs were ripped off of businesses and churches. Golf-ball-sized Hail too.

I got 3.75" of rain yesterday and an additional 2.25" this morning for a total of 6 inches; still nothing like Shreveport. Quite an impressive Spring storm! A good water table reserve for the long hot dry Summer months??

areastorms051508cc6.jpg

My goodness that's scary-looking.

And by the way, 6" of rain is still a lot. That's a little more than half what we got... so that's still a LOT. My street flooded again during the night last night but it looks like it's cleared up a lot. Still cloudy, but not threatening. Haven't checked the forecast yet, so I hope we're out of the woods. I drove through my old neighborhood on my way home yesterday. The bayous in that neighborhood are always a good indicator of rainfall for me, because I spent so much time on them... from when they are totally dry to when they are so full they are flooding the homes above them. And I must say, yesterday they were about as high as I've ever seen them. I thought I was prepared for that but I wasn't... and by the time I looked at them they had to have receeded a little bit, because many hours had passed without any rain before I saw them.

I remember back in April of 1991 we had a similar flood. My friends and I went down to one of those bayous and we saw the biggest turtle we had ever seen, perched up on a pile of logs. I swear I've never even seen a turtle in a zoo that large. We threw rocks at it to see if it was alive but it never moved. When we went back down there a few hours later to show some more friends, it was gone.

Looks like SBC was spared any more rainfall, that's good. BR actually got a little more rain today(less than 1/2").

Saw where a possible tornado hammered the middle of Lafayette yesterday morning.

Cool story Brian; I wish I could have seen that turtle. It's always fascinating to hear the crickets and frogs come alive at night after the big rains; talk about loud. I saw hundreds of dead little worms along the curb of the street that drowned.

I know what your talking about. We got the little bayou's around here too and they can get high very fast! It's never easy to see homes flooded, esp. in your old neighborhood.

Looks like SBC was spared any more rainfall, that's good. BR actually got a little more rain today(less than 1/2").

Saw where a possible tornado hammered the middle of Lafayette yesterday morning.

Cool story Brian; I wish I could have seen that turtle. It's always fascinating to hear the crickets and frogs come alive at night after the big rains; talk about loud. I saw hundreds of dead little worms along the curb of the street that drowned.

I know what your talking about. We got the little bayou's around here too and they can get high very fast! It's never easy to see homes flooded, esp. in your old neighborhood.

Funny you should mention that!! lol Growing up in the city I honestly never experienced all these crazy sounds after a big rain. Even the bayous in my neighborhood were "urban" bayous (glorified drainage ditches with some wildlife.) But out here in Haughton, after a big rain, man the frogs are SOOOOO loud!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Brian; that's exactly what they are "glorified drainage ditches" :lol: Deep wide trenches with a stream of water in the middle you can actually jump in some places. Lively Bayou in back of the park was the name of the one we used to trek back in the day as little kids. Saw some of the biggest snakes of my life. One even had a small fish in his mouth.

This was last week's Severe T-Storm(same as pic posted above) that the worst missed us to the north. About 15-30 minutes later around 4:00p.m it got as dark as I can remember.

51608001gv9.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

It always trips me out how the calendar says "1st Day of Summer" is either on June 20th or 21st with the Solstice. That maybe true for places like Minnesota to Maine, but around here in the "sub-tropics" it's been Summer for over a month! Here in BR we've had at least 15 or more(lost count) conscecutive days of 90+ degree weather.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday was the Hottest Day so far this Summer in Baton Rouge with a high temp. of 98! Monroe hit 102!!! Shreveport was 99 and New Orleans reached 97!

Just a little cooler today with tropical storm breezes from Dolly. It was only 93 in BR and 97 in Monroe :rolleyes:

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

1st Freeze of the Season at BR Metro Airport with a low temp of 32. It was more like 35 where I live. Been a nice, cool Fall around here. We had a cold spell in late October; November we have had several mornings in the 30's.

BR had only recieved 1/4" inch of rainfall between Sept 15th til last week; it had been really DRY!

If the jet stream continues to dip down this way most of the Winter(Dec-Feb); is a little snowfall possible for the 10-12 corridor??

• 3 weeks later...

Some intense weather earlier this afternoon with a couple tornados in the Alexandria area with reports of wind damage. Tornado watch still in effect thru 11:00pm. The squall-line will be entering the rest of SE LA tonight.

Dramatic temp changes continue! High today was a windy 77 in BR! It was still 74; in Dallas it's in the mid 30's. Tommorrow the temps will be falling thru the day; even a slight chance of sleet/or light snow am thursday morning??? :w00t:

Some intense weather earlier this afternoon with a couple tornados in the Alexandria area with reports of wind damage. Tornado watch still in effect thru 11:00pm. The squall-line will be entering the rest of SE LA tonight.

Dramatic temp changes continue! High today was a windy 77 in BR! It was still 74; in Dallas it's in the mid 30's. Tommorrow the temps will be falling thru the day; even a slight chance of sleet/or light snow am thursday morning??? :w00t:

Yeah even up here it was ugly. Haughton got blanketed with golf ball-sized hail, and then a suspected tornado hit just east of there at the Bossier/Webster Parish line and did damage in and around Dixie Inn.

We have ice just west of us today, and they are forecasting some sleet today and "snow showers" for tonight, but as usual I do have my doubts. The air is always SO dry around here during the Winter time but SOOO humid during the Summer.

One day last week I was going to lunch and there were snow flurries in the air. That was cool to see, but it lasted literally only a few minutes.

Yeah I just saw the damage in Dixie Inn. This has been one potent system; it hammered MS, AL and the FL Panhandle too.

Does Shreveport average 1 or 2 snows per year?? I sure wish BR did! It sure does get frustrating how the dry-air sneaks in! BTW it will be 70 by Sunday; typical BR.

Looks like the SBC area is right on the edge of the precip. Very interesting set-up now! A cold-pocket associated with an Upper-level low (cool spin) is in the Houston area with SNOW! It's now 32 in Houston with SNOW!! What's unusual is it's 39 in Dallas!

It's 42 in BR now; low temp supposed to be in mid-30's in earlymorning?? There is supposed to be enough moisture! The upper-level low near Houston is headed in this direction!(south La) + we are on "back-side" of Gulf-low that just went inland Alabama. Normally I'm the same way not to expect snow; but this might be a little different?? Could the ingredients be right? I don't expect any accumulation if it does snow.

usse4regradarplususenpt1.jpg

Edited by richyb83

Yeah I just saw the damage in Dixie Inn. This has been one potent system; it hammered MS, AL and the FL Panhandle too.

Does Shreveport average 1 or 2 snows per year?? I sure wish BR did! It sure does get frustrating how the dry-air sneaks in! BTW it will be 70 by Sunday; typical BR.

Looks like the SBC area is right on the edge of the precip. Very interesting set-up now! A cold-pocket associated with an Upper-level low (cool spin) is in the Houston area with SNOW! It's now 32 in Houston with SNOW!! What's unusual is it's 39 in Dallas!

It's 42 in BR now; low temp supposed to be in mid-30's in earlymorning?? There is supposed to be enough moisture! The upper-level low near Houston is headed in this direction!(south La) + we are on "back-side" of Gulf-low that just went inland Alabama. Normally I'm the same way not to expect snow; but this might be a little different?? Could the ingredients be right? I don't expect any accumulation if it does snow.

Dude the Weather Channel said just now that someone from Houston on toward Mississippi could end up with 1 foot of snow by tomorrow. HOLY CRAP! Of course the snow accumulation line is south of us, but not by much. But it goes right through Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Man I'm gonna be so jealous if there's a foot of snow in central or south Louisiana and we get nothing! lol Usually it stays north of us, so I usually don't have to worry about it snowing south of here if it's not snowing here. This is odd.

By the way, when I was in Dallas Saturday, it was COLD AS HECK in downtown between all those buildings. We stood out there for hours waiting for the parade and it was freeeezing. But by afternoon, it was extremely warm and comfortable. Gotta love this weather in the south!

:P Talk about RARE !!! When I got up this morning I was suprised to see the snow already accumulating!!! Probably a Top 5 All-Time Snow event in BR dating back since 1895!!! :shok::wacko: Most significant snowfall since 1988. I got about 3" at the house; could not believe how heavy the snow was falling; and BIG flakes. The largest snow's have always been in Jan or Feb...so in December made it that much more RARE!

This snow was a reward for Gustav(Sept 1st) jack-hammering us just over 3 months ago! 2008 dramatic weather year when you also include colossal hail-storm back on April 22nd

snowday004op1.jpg

snowday005yo6.jpg

snowday006ex6.jpg

snowday013qd5.jpg

*The highest snowfall total I heard was in Amite 8"; Bogalusa 6? ; Zachary(northern EBR) each had 5 1/2" of snow! Even NOLA got an inch!

Edited by richyb83

:P Talk about RARE !!! When I got up this morning I was suprised to see the snow already accumulating!!! Probably a Top 5 All-Time Snow event in BR dating back since 1895!!! :shok::wacko: Most significant snowfall since 1988. I got about 3" at the house; could not believe how heavy the snow was falling; and BIG flakes. The largest snow's have always been in Jan or Feb...so in December made it that much more RARE!

[snipped photos]

*The highest snowfall total I heard was in Amite 8"; Bogalusa and Zachary(northern EBR) each had 5" of snow! Even NOLA got an inch!

Absolutely amazing. And nice subdivision you live in there, Richy. :) Is that a city trash can or recycle bin? Our trash services are contracted out by the city, but the company owns the cans as well. They're ugly brown things with the company logo on them. I like those trash cans you guys have there. I know that sounds dumb, but I notice details like that. Now only if we can get them to expand the recycling out here where I live. No fair you can only participate in curbside recycling if you live inside the Shreveport city limits.

Sorry to get off the topic. Back to the snow... fricking awesome! Reminds me of my visits to Illinois over the past few years. Very unlike Louisiana.

Thanks Brian. We like our subdivision; we just wish there was a little pocket park; you have to go the other neighborhoods across busy roads to get to the parks. That's a trash bin; they pick-up twice a week; recycling comes here once a week. We live outside the city limits by only 1/2 mile or less. Your area should hopefully get them soon? Isn't Haughton still growing??

The snow was hard to believe; if felt (that word people use) surreal; kind of like the day after Gustav on the flip-side.

Southron, I guess it was FINALLY our turn :dontknow: Usually BR is the one that gets left out of the wintry precip. On Christmas Day in 04' New Orleans got an inch of snow and we got nothing; most of the time it's missing us to the north. This time the upper-level low went a little further south than 1st projected into the northern Gulf; it was the perfect set-up; it seemed to fizzle some that evening as it approached Alabama.

Edited by richyb83

Thanks Brian. We like our subdivision; we just wish there was a little pocket park; you have to go the other neighborhoods across busy roads to get to the parks. That's a trash bin; they pick-up twice a week; recycling comes here once a week. We live outside the city limits by only 1/2 mile or less. Your area should hopefully get them soon? Isn't Haughton still growing??

The snow was hard to believe; if felt (that word people use) surreal; kind of like the day after Gustav on the flip-side.

No, Haughton has stagnated. No new subdivisions are being built anywhere in Shreveport-Bossier, to my knowledge, besides Villaggio, which actually started construction before the economy tanked.

And if the Big 3 don't get help soon, Shreveport-Bossier is likely to see a repeat of the 80s economic bust. If our GM plant closes, there will be THOUSANDS of people jobless at once. Not only from GM, but from all their support companies and suppliers, which employ thousands more people on top of GM's number. Add that to the fact that oil and gas exploration is slowing down big-time, despite the Haynesville Shale discovery. It's simply not financially feasible for these companies to be drilling at the capacity they should be, with the price of oil being so low right now. I mean, it's good for the consumer but not for the employees of the drilling companies. I paid $1.35/gallon tonight in south Bossier. That's nuts!

I wish we had a little pocket park as well. The neighborhood I grew up in as a kid was a bad neighborhood, but we had two major parks with ballfields AND a nice little pocket park in the middle. Where I live now, the nearest park is over 5 miles away. No kidding.

Got only an inch of snow in Slidell, but it snowed 6" over in western St. Tammay Parish near Folsom. I thought we might get 1 or 2" of snow in the area. Never thought it would be 6 to 8" in a few spots. It snowed alot harder than I expected for a longer period of time. I have pics, but still need to download them. Will post when I get that done. Not nearly as impressive as in BTR.

Thanks Southron! No, I don't think we got very much of anything in 93'. But I remember that was one potent system; how much did yall get??

MORE WHACKY WEATHER!!!!! Dramatic difference in the temps.... it's 74 in BR! Only 41 in SBC; 81 in Brownsville TX, 30 in Dallas; 14-Amarillo!!! 18 in OKC. Siberian wind chills in No Datoka -40's - -50's. Ice Storm possible for Arkansas and NW MS!! The Artic Front will turn stationary near the BR area tommorrow...then returns north as a warm front. High 80 in BR Wed!

I'm not diggin this balmy weather this week after last weeks snow-storm.

Edited by richyb83

Thanks Southron! No, I don't think we got very much of anything in 93'. But I remember that was one potent system; how much did yall get??

MORE WHACKY WEATHER!!!!! Dramatic difference in the temps.... it's 74 in BR! Only 41 in SBC; 81 in Brownsville TX, 30 in Dallas; 14-Amarillo!!! 18 in OKC. Siberian wind chills in No Datoka -40's - -50's. Ice Storm possible for Arkansas and NW MS!! The Artic Front will turn stationary near the BR area tommorrow...then returns north as a warm front. High 80 in BR Wed!

I'm not diggin this balmy weather this week after last weeks snow-storm.

Ugh and we're expecting ice overnight and into the morning. Looks like there's a good chance I'll be going in late to work. I don't need that after having taken part of today off sick. I'd much rather have a few inches of snow like you guys got if it's going to screw up road travel! :)

Yeah Brian, that ice is nasty stuff; those elevated roads can get tricky! I'm starting to hear the term "black ice" more too; not 100% sure what that is.

It's fascinating to see how dramatic the difference is in temps just a few hours away! Last night is was 52 in St.Louis and 10 in KC!

I'm hearing that for this December "date" this frigid air-mass up in Big Sky country is some of the coldest since 1901!!! The jet stream is just crazy! It can decide if you have a "very cold" Winter or a "mild" Winter; which BR gets too many of.