Louisiana Weather

richyb83

I'm guessing the SBC area's ice storm never panned out?? That's a good thing!

Warm front moved back thru here!!! BR is now at 79!!! Waaay too warm!!! And in SBC it's 47!!!

79!? holy crap! lol Yeah my Weather Bug on my computer says it's currently 46 degrees. This is why I'm sick! lol

Nope, no ice storm, thankfully. Though some snowflakes would have been nice, at the very least.

• 1 month later...

A Year of Weather "Extremes" in 2008' for Louisiana; including the Capitol Region!!! In 08' alone I witnessed my WORST Hail Storm(April 22nd); WORST Hurricane "Gustav" (Sept 1st); only 10 days later Hurricane Ike! and just 3 months later on Dec 10th probably the MOST Snowfall.....wedged in between the driest Fall in BR in over 75 years!

HOW will 09' be?? It's already been too warm with flowers and plants blooming; only to have 28 degree lows last week; we have already experienced a Severe T-Storm on Jan 3rd...finishing off(what Gustav started) the tree in my backyard

This NASTY Thunder-Storm in the middle of May over the Mississippi River in BR.

areastorms051508tu6.jpg

Hurricane Gustav (this is only the tropical storm force wind)

storm018hr6.jpg

And just 3 months and 10 days later RARE December snowstorm

snowday013tq7.jpg

Tornadoes in SE LA/NOLA last January;Record High temps in Feb and Arpril; There was snow in Northern La in early March! Record low in BR on 14th of April.....102 in Monroe in July...Monsson-like rains in SBC in January and again in May.

Edited by richyb83

More extreme weather...Baton Rouge record High Temp for the date...81(broken from 1957) !!! And a Winter Weather Advisory for SBC til Noon tommorrow! But the front will bring cooler weather for south Louisiana by morning!

81 degrees!? I thought it was warm here in the mid-70s yesterday morning! What a difference a couple hours can make, though. I left my office yesterday at 9:45am to take my wife to the hospital for a procedure. It was soo nice and warm outside. Even at 1:30pm it was still in the mid-70s. But by 3:00pm, it was already in the 40s! It had dropped about 30 degrees in a couple of hours. Never did get that ice, though. But I got pictures from friends and coworkers in NW Arkansas showing the mess they got up there. My boss' home in the NW Arkansas area is still without power, but lucky for him, he's down here visiting this week.

WOW! That's some serious ice up in NWA all the way up to Ohio!!!! The way it was snapping tree branches all over the place almost made it look like a hurricane passed thru.

That's a dramatic temp drop yall got in SBC!! Did not realize it warmed up that fast up there...Nothing like that here! What was impressive too was it was still 76 in Alexandria and only 43 in SBC!! What was the High there today??? I saw ONLY 32 this afternoon in SBC! We are on our way to the mid-30's later tonight...I enjoy what little Winter weather we get here..

WOW! That's some serious ice up in NWA all the way up to Ohio!!!! The way it was snapping tree branches all over the place almost made it look like a hurricane passed thru.

That's a dramatic temp drop yall got in SBC!! Did not realize it warmed up that fast up there...Nothing like that here! What was impressive too was it was still 76 in Alexandria and only 43 in SBC!! What was the High there today??? I saw ONLY 32 this afternoon in SBC! We are on our way to the mid-30's later tonight...I enjoy what little Winter weather we get here..

I honestly don't know what today's high was, but I know I could see my breath all day. It seems to have never warmed up though I think it probably got into the 40s.

We got a nice little surprise this morning: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/200...ONTPAGECAROUSEL

We were supposed to just have some freezing fog making the morning commute a little treacherous, but we actually ended up with a light dusting of snow. When I left my house I thought it was just frost on the ground, but I later realized it was actually snow. I had to get off I-20 (as I've had to do EVERY day this week) due to traffic backups, and as I drove toward downtown the snow was coming down at a nice rate. It was so nice to see! I-20 wasn't moving in either direction through Shreveport or Bossier due to accidents. The freezing fog did ice over the bridges, and the sand trucks couldn't make it up there due to all the accidents. What a mess! Literally every day this week I have had to get off I-20 and go around due to accidents tying traffic up. On Tuesday I got caught up in the middle of a police chase. A convicted murderer from Bossier had broken out of prison, stolen an SUV down in Morgan City, and was on his way to his mother's house in Bossier when the police finally caught him. I was driving along and probably 20 Shreveport police cars flew past me as they chased that SUV into Bossier. The snow has just been another thing in an already crazy week. I'm still glad we dodged the big ice storm the other day.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

WOW Brian!!! That's a crazy week for sure!! That's cool yall got that dusting of snow and not any ice storm!! The sound of ice fog sounds whack!! At least yall in SBC have adequate highways/by-passes/ that make things a little less painless! The police chase sounds intense!! These are some crazy dayze!!!

WOW Brian!!! That's a crazy week for sure!! That's cool yall got that dusting of snow and not any ice storm!! The sound of ice fog sounds whack!! At least yall in SBC have adequate highways/by-passes/ that make things a little less painless! The police chase sounds intense!! These are some crazy dayze!!!

Oh believe me it was still a pain. When traffic is stopped on I-20 and I have to get off, I'm too far past the I-220 bypass to go that way. I then have to take Old Minden Road and get back on I-20 down at the Red River bridge. It adds about 10-15 minutes to my drive but it beats sitting for an hour. There really is no better way to go, because all the bridges from Bossier into Shreveport are backed up at that hour. There's really no good way around it unless you happen to be in Haughton or on the north side of the city when you hear about traffic backups. If I would listen to the radio more often I could probably avoid most of the problems by taking I-220 from Haughton. But I-220 backs up really badly as well. And I know to you guys in gridlocked Baton Rouge my traffic worries are probably nothing since they only tend to happen around rush hour, but I still wish there was another freeway. For instance if they would finish the loop on the south and east sides I could bypass Shreveport and Bossier proper altogether and just go from Haughton straight into southeast Shreveport. THAT would be nice. :)

But the snow was quite nice. And the police chase was interesting but scary. I've been caught up in the middle of 3 police chases over the past 5 years and it's equally scary each time.

By the way Richy, get this... official word from the National Weather Service is, what we saw coming down from the sky wasn't actually "snow". It was the frozen fog I mentioned. I thought the frozen fog was just what froze to the surface, not what was falling, but I was wrong. Which makes sense, because the only thing showing on the radar at the time was fog and because it was heaviest over downtown Shreveport, which is also where the fog is always the most dense! How crazy is that!? lol

Dude that's insane!!! Wish I could have seen that!!! SBC was due to get some Wintry precip!

A developing Surface low-pressure system coming out of the western Gulf Monday morning could give us some heavy rains; WBRZ just mentioned a very slight chance of a flake or two on the backside of the low late Monday night?? Even if that doesn't happen; the very mention of snow(or sleet) gets me stoked! I'm sure SBC's chances are a little better than BR's depending on the track of the low?

NWS is forecasting Low's in the mid-20's in BR Tuesday morning!!!

This low coming out of the NW Gulf is going to be a MAJOR weather player next week along the East Coast too!!

Edited by richyb83

And I know to you guys in gridlocked Baton Rouge my traffic worries are probably nothing since they only tend to happen around rush hour, but I still wish there was another freeway. For instance if they would finish the loop on the south and east sides I could bypass Shreveport and Bossier proper altogether and just go from Haughton straight into southeast Shreveport. THAT would be nice. :)

Pardon the AD/HD :lol: Meant to reply to this too...

Sounds cool; but I'm guess Barksdale may be too much a barrier for a south-east freeway?? Could they go all the way around??

WAFB said that slight snow chance for late Monday? Forget about it! Oh well...

Chicago never reached :o 40 degrees in the month of January for 09'; that hasn't happened since 1985!

Pardon the AD/HD :lol: Meant to reply to this too...

Sounds cool; but I'm guess Barksdale may be too much a barrier for a south-east freeway?? Could they go all the way around??

WAFB said that slight snow chance for late Monday? Forget about it! Oh well...

Chicago never reached :o 40 degrees in the month of January for 09'; that hasn't happened since 1985!

Believe it or not, they have finally started design work for an extension of I-220 into the east reservation of Barksdale! I never thought I would see this happen, but with the National Cyber Research Park being built right off I-220 on Highway 80 and their link to the Air Force Cyber Ops program, it looks like the loop extension onto the base is finally going to be a reality. Just WHEN it will be built has yet to be determined, I believe, but Jindal did include the funding for that extension. So one of these days when I-69 finally gets started, it should be able to tie in as originally planned.

As for the snow, yeah that sucks. Looks like we won't get any of the mix they mentioned for here either. Chi-Town is one cold place, but damn... never hit 40 degrees this month!? Ugh... lol

Well that's some good news then! I'll be interested to see what exact route for the I-220 extension might be taken as it weaves it's way thru/around the eastern section of Barksdale. That would be really cool if they had to dig some tunnels(I might be dreaming); like they did the new tunnell for I-285 under Atlanta In'tl Airport. I'm not familiar with Barksdale's lay-out?? Would that put it somewhere near Olde Oaks Golf Club on the other side before heading back to SE Shreveport??

Great weather day today..Sunny and 63 for the High; the lows have been chilly 32 this morning & tmw morning? And possibly the COLDEST night of the year Thursday morning?? Our lows have only been 28 on a couple of occassions; that's not really that cold; last year we(BR) got as low as 24...I can't really remember the last time it got into the teens?? One of those would have been nice; would have thought this would be the Winter with the cold start and heavy rare snow; but now I'm not too sure?? Our Winter's don't seem as cold as when I was a kid.

This weekends highs will be up in the lower 70's.

Edited by richyb83

• 4 weeks later...

Really enjoy backward temps weather dayz like today!!! It started out in the balmy 70's early this morning; and has dropped into the upper 50's by noon! Is this Winter's last hurrah?? March seems chopped full of short cold snaps!

Typical weather for the season; 83 for the high yesterday; mid 30's for lows later tonight?? And strong low pressure system moving from the NW on the tail of the strong cold-front; will cause a slight chance of a snow flurry late tonight for SW MS and Bogalusa?

• 3 weeks later...

1st "Official" Day of Spring coming up Friday; of course for south Louisiana it's been a few weeks!!

Last week was a prime example with the typical dramatic contrast in temps across the state! Last week northern Louisiana stayed in the chilly 40's for high's for a couple of days; while BR cooked at 85 degrees during that same time....BUT looks like most of the state got some much needed rainfall...the BR region has been in a mild drought..til rainfall of around 3-4" inches between Fri-Mon cut the deficit in 1/2!!

Great weather now!!! Temps balanced out across the state; Sunny skies and 79 in BR...78 in Alexandria

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

March may have come in like a Lamb; but it's going out like a lion!!! Nasty 1-2 punch of severe storms for the region!!

Some wind damage in the BR Area from LSU, to Airline Hwy/I-12! I'm curious to know the winds here at the house...I have heard 67mph at Ryan Airport & unofficial 80mph winds where the damage was; last night was an intense squall line; some flashbacks of Gustav!

EF-3 tornado last night in McGee MS was scary!

Much of the area 24 hours later is under a tornado watch!

Edited by richyb83

• 2 months later...

Well Summer officially arrived at 12:46a.m. CST....of course around here it's been Summer-like for the better-half of 6 weeks....And the temps continue to be on the rise; the past few days high temps have been 97! And now Excessive Heat Advisories are going into effect for the region with high's in the upper 90's the next few days; heat index's above 105!

We can't buy a drop of rain! Can't remember the last time it rained??? The strong high-pressure system has been firmly entrenched over the northern Gulf! Any idea when the high might weaken or move out?? Maybe we get a 20% of rain by Wednesday?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Summer hanging hardcore for early October in Baton Rouge! This mornings low was a steamy 80 degrees! :wacko: 20 degrees above normal!! Warmest low recorded since 1930!! The high temp was 93; just one degree from breaking a record!

Contrast that with Monroe's low of 60; and Shreveport with a cool high of 74! Bring some of that Fall weather down this way! Just not the rain....it could be a soggy field Saturday Night in Tiger Stadium?? 70% of rain; then some that cooler weather??

• 3 weeks later...

Some really rough weather in the SBC area this evening!! Bordering insane! TWC reported a tornado in downtown Shreveport earlier that ripped off a church steeple that landed on a car; thankfully the driver was not killed. Then not long after that another tornado warning was issued with a storm coming from the southwest; not sure how things were with that?? The city of Shreveport issued a flood emergency for the city( a term TWC doesn't hear very often). Rainfall amounts equal to a tropical storm with over an 1 1/2 in ONLY 28 minutes or 3" per hour! The area has already experienced a record for Wettest October.

Hopefully our friends in the SBC area are OK!

Some really rough weather in the SBC area this evening!! Bordering insane! TWC reported a tornado in downtown Shreveport earlier that ripped off a church steeple that landed on a car; thankfully the driver was not killed. Then not long after that another tornado warning was issued with a storm coming from the southwest; not sure how things were with that?? The city of Shreveport issued a flood emergency for the city( a term TWC doesn't hear very often). Rainfall amounts equal to a tropical storm with over an 1 1/2 in ONLY 28 minutes or 3" per hour! The area has already experienced a record for Wettest October.

Hopefully our friends in the SBC area are OK!

It was pretty scary, but thankfully the police in the town I live in handled it well. They walked up and down my street with flashlights, checking on things. I don't think the water went into any houses, but it came damn close. I was actually very worried last night once my street was impassible and the water was getting closer and closer to my house. I live really close to the spot where a tornado roared across I-20 and laid trees down blocking all lanes of traffic. My wife was downtown at her office when that twister went through, and literally just a few minutes before that we had a possible tornado near my office. That one turned out to be nothing more than rotation on the radar, but it was a scary thought nonetheless.