Louisiana Weather

richyb83

Sorry for the late reply Brain...glad yall were OK up in SBC...sounds scary! The SBC region got an insane record-breaking All-Time Wettest October with like over 20 inches of rain!

Yeah no doubt. That was over a week ago and some roads here are still closed. In fact, some didn't close until late last week. The water is going down in the really flooded bayous, but still going up in the lakes and rivers.

I'm sure you saw the church steeple/car incident on the news as it was on the news pretty much everywhere. Even the Today Show came down and had it on their show the very next morning after it happened. My wife's office is on the opposite end of downtown from that church, thankfully.

There were lots and lots of flooded roads and homes, tree-felled homes, and the National Guard was called in to help keep the Red Chute Bayou levee from busting after the water started spilling over it in the Dogwood/Carriage Oaks/Stockwell area and Louisiana Downs. Louisiana Downs got very lucky. Had the water continued to spill over and the levee busted, it was estimated that up to 8' of water would have engulfed that building. The water was spilling over and filled up the low areas all around the building, but thankfully it never made it that far.

It was record-breaking for sure. In my memory, the only thing that compares was the big mess we had in April of 1991 and I'm not even sure if that was this big. I remember that flood vividly. My old neighborhood flooded fairly easily, but never had it gotten that bad. This most recent flood was much like that, except this time I'm in a different neighborhood and a different town just a few miles down the road, but it was just as bad or worse this time around.

Wow dude! That's crazy!! The weather sure has been freakish...Driest=June...Wettest= October...Latest Named Storm West of Florida=November...not to mention last years Most Snow in December just three months after 2 Big-Time hurricanes...

Check this out...You probably heard about this Alligator Story in Bossier City?? This was e-mailed to me the other day....

This is my neighborhood! mb

(Bossier City Subdivision just off Jimmie Davis Bridge ) ( Plantation Trace)

Col. Grace and crew:

Well, at lunch time today, I drove to daycare to pick up my three year old son. I returned home, parked the car, and was getting my son out of his car seat, when something caught my eye. I looked down, and 3 feet away from me was this 9 foot gator in my yard next to my house door. I threw my son back in the car, drove around to the other side of my house, and called 911.

44817233.png

Several police cars and animal control showed up. After about 1 hour, the gator guy arrived and shot the gator. We had a small crowd of city personnel and neighbors. The gator was male and measured 8 feet, 11 inches. They said his belly was full from a recent large meal.... Could have been me or my son! Lesson: All this rain is causing gators to travel.. I live in a nice subdivision in town - not out in the country. So, all I can say is watch out! Feel free to send this email and photo out to Wing Personnel as a safety reminder

Edited by richyb83

Wow dude! That's crazy!! The weather sure has been freakish...Driest=June...Wettest= October...Latest Named Storm West of Florida=November...not to mention last years Most Snow in December just three months after 2 Big-Time hurricanes...

Check this out...You probably heard about this Alligator Story in Bossier City?? This was e-mailed to me the other day....

This is my neighborhood! mb

(Bossier City Subdivision just off Jimmie Davis Bridge ) ( Plantation Trace)

Col. Grace and crew:

Well, at lunch time today, I drove to daycare to pick up my three year old son. I returned home, parked the car, and was getting my son out of his car seat, when something caught my eye. I looked down, and 3 feet away from me was this 9 foot gator in my yard next to my house door. I threw my son back in the car, drove around to the other side of my house, and called 911.

44817233.png

Several police cars and animal control showed up. After about 1 hour, the gator guy arrived and shot the gator. We had a small crowd of city personnel and neighbors. The gator was male and measured 8 feet, 11 inches. They said his belly was full from a recent large meal.... Could have been me or my son! Lesson: All this rain is causing gators to travel.. I live in a nice subdivision in town - not out in the country. So, all I can say is watch out! Feel free to send this email and photo out to Wing Personnel as a safety reminder

Nope, hadn't heard of this one. I have a few friends in Plantation Trace, and that definitely looks like the newer part of the neighborhood. So many emails circulate, you never know what's the real deal but that appears authentic as far as I can tell. Wow, that's a big gator! A gator hunter had to wrestle one out of the bayou behind my parents' house a few months ago, it was 7' I believe. In this state, those damn things are literally everywhere, even this far north.

• 4 weeks later...

INTERESTING WINTER WEATHER SET UP!!!

Another "Earliest Date" RECORD SNOW-FALL???

Winter Storm Warnings for SW & Central Louisiana!!!

And a Winter Weather Advisory for the Baton Rouge area....starting as a cold rain....then changing over to snow later tonight; 1 to 2 inches possible north of I-12 corridor.... NOLA may recieve a trace?? Not sure about the SBC area??

Last year's December 11th Storm was a SHOCKER for the ages with 3-4 inches of snow around BR...and even 5 to 8" just to the north from Zachary to Amite...

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

Meteorologist: N.O. already posts wettest December

The month's not even half over, and it’s already the wettest December on record for the New Orleans area. That's according to Mike Efferson, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service’s New Orleans-Baton Rouge forecast office in Slidell. He says that as of early Monday, rainfall, as measured at Louis Armstrong International Airport, was 11.3 inches above normal for the month. Things are a bit drier in Baton Rouge. The official rain gauge at Metro Airport has received 8.77 inches of rain for the month, the 10th-wettest December on record. Baton Rouge had its wettest December in 1912, when 17.59 inches of rain fell.

Meanwhile, a flash flood watch remains in effect through Tuesday afternoon for all of southeast Louisiana as another series of disturbances moves across the area. Rain amounts of 1 to 3 inches are likely in the watch area with locally higher amounts of 4 to 6 inches possible. Several parishes south and east of Baton Rouge have been under a flash flood warning, including Ascension, where several roads were closed because of high water as of 2:30 p.m. At one point, the main entrance to Pelican Point subdivision was closed; it has since reopened.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

• 1 month later...

WOW! What a WINTER it has been so far!!!One of the Wettest Decembers ever for the region....and Coldest 1st half's of January comparable to 1996...with 3 consecutive nights of upper teens for Baton Rouge! Wedged btwn 24 & 25 degree lows... It wasn't the coldest snap..but the longevity was impressive..highs only reached 34 last Friday; and 38 Sat...

Even Florida got some Artic Blast where it was so cold the Iguana's were falling outta the trees!

Now back to more seasonal norms....

Edited by richyb83

• 4 weeks later...

Winter Storm Warning in effect for the I 10-12 Corridor including the BR area thru tommorrow afternoon...suprised to see the sleet on and off earlier today...they are projecting a light dusting of snow here by morning...It should be interesting...something needs to happened..did they close area schools for no reason?? Would be suprised to see accumulation totals of 1 to 2 inches like the Nation Weather Service predicts...

This has been a nice solid Winter..in the past I complained about what has happened to our Winter's??(way too warm)...

Dallas broke a new record for one day totals...nearly a foot of snowfall....Snowmageddon hammered DC last week; largest snow in 126 years!! Baltimore has had nearly 80" inches of snow this Winter :wacko: so far with more on the way Monday

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...

Winter was nice! Top 10 Wettest & coldest Dec-Feb...along with 2 snows(Dec 5th/record early) & Feb 12th!! Sandwiched in between 3 consecutive nights with low temps in the upper teen's in early January!

1st Full Day of Spring; Sunday the 21st...was one of the Coldest on record...with High temp of only 43!! Cloudy & wind gust close to 30mph...COLD!

Perfect weather this week...people say they would like to "bottle it up"...low humidity High's low-mid 70's

• 2 months later...

The calendar says the 1st Day of Summer is June 21st which is NEXT WEEK....my question..WHERE in Duluth Minnesota??

My friend from Jamaica says the 1st Day of Summer is the first time the temp hits 90; which happened to be May 3rd...it was one of the hottest May's on record here in BR with 22 days of 90+ high temps...as of now we have had 9 consecutive days of 93+//and 3 of 95+....good thing it's not officially Summer yet :silly:

• 1 month later...

Welcome to August!

Record-breaking(or tied) high temps yesterday! :wacko:

107-Natchitoches

106-Monroe

105-Alexandria

103-Shreveport

100- BR & NOLA

BR's low temp was 80 last night...INSANE!

Eastern portions of BR was hammered with 2-4" inches of rain(and fire-alarm popping lightning) this afternoon; while downtown did not get a drop!

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday...While the NW part of the state was baking at 98 degrees...the BR area was a cool 78 with Flash Flood Warnings...4 1/2" of rain at the Airport,,,cutting the rainfall defecit in half! Compliments of the remanant low/Tropical Depression #5....and there was plenty more rain this morning!

• 2 months later...

October a month of temperature "extremes" ...from the record low of 43 in BR! back earlier on the 5th; 17 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL!...to now.... record high's for NOLA in the upper 80's...tonights forecast low temp for BR 71....18 DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL! But still October is probably the nicest weather during the year in the region!

Outer-most rain band from Tropical Storm Hermine back in early September...

september2010003.jpg

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Some impressive weather to begin February! Yesterday at Noon Before the arrival of the strong cold-front Baton Rouge was 70 degrees; Shreveport-31; and Dallas 19! BR reported wind gust near 50mph with the squall-line...and today's High Temp was only 36!!

A Winter Storm Watch is in effect for the I-10/12 Corridor Thursday-Friday AM....possibilty of freezing rain/sleet with another low-pressure system moving in..and a little snow Sat AM on the back side??

Coincidentally BR's last two ice storms were on Feb 2nd & or 3rd in 85' & 88...

This Winter Storm was insane from OKC/Tulsa to Chicago!

• 4 weeks later...

As a local weatherman here in BR said yesterday..."it was a February Flip-Flop"

1st half(2 weeks) of the month... was the 2nd COLDEST since 1930! State workers & schools getting 1-2 days off

2nd half(2 weeks) of the month...was the WARMEST since 1917! Yesterday shattered a record HIGH temp of 87!! Last week records were broken or tied 82, 83...

:wacko:

March came in like a Lamb today...perfect weather! High 73; humidity only 27%

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Record High Temp in BR yesterday of 101 & today 103!! Even said 104 in my car! Talk of the Miss River/Atchafalaya Basin Flooding is now being replaced with talk of severe/extreme drought across much of the state...

The entire month of May recorded only 1/3" of rain...driest in 80 years?? Insane!! May 17th BR recorded a record temp Low of 46...can never remember ever having to wear a jacket this late into Spring; in a few days it was back to 90's...which is Summer now no matter what the calender says!

Edited by richyb83

Record High Temp in BR yesterday of 101 & today 103!! Even said 104 in my car! Talk of the Miss River/Atchafalaya Basin Flooding is now being replaced with talk of severe/extreme drought across much of the state...

The entire month of May recorded only 1/3" of rain...driest in 80 years?? Insane!! May 17th BR recorded a record temp Low of 46...can never remember ever having to wear a jacket this late into Spring; in a few days it was back to 90's...which is Summer now no matter what the calender says!

Odd weather here, too--in Northern Cal. Rain in June? Looks like a green summer with less golden hills. Tornados and snow, too.

By the way, I enjoy reading your Louisiana Weather thread. Love the snow-storm picture in Baton Rouge.

Edited by Zahc

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! Glad yall enjoy them :thumbsup: No one's posted here in awhile..like my own personal weather thread...hopefully this will be a quite Hurricane Season & won't have to start a thread.

More Record Breaking Heat...17 of the first 20 days of June with 95+ high temps in BR! But relief is on the horizon!! The Gulf is opened back up business...tropical wave from Yucatan moving north...we have a 60% rain tmrw & Wednesday! :yahoo: I'm stoked!

Taken by my brother a few weeks ago along I-10 near Bayou Manchac (just south of Baton Rouge)

unledjp.png

1st Offical Day of Summer(Solstice) tmw June 21st! Yeah right :rolleyes: WHERE ...for Michigan?? Been Summer here for months it seems!

• 1 month later...

Brutal heat for the South-Central part of the U.S. Record shattering High Temps of 109 in Shreveport & 107 in Monroe!! Even hotter for our neighbors to the north in Arkansas!

Some serious drought-relief for the Baton Rouge area...here at the house in th backyard rain gauge rainfall totals of just over 10 inches(10.03") for the month of July; cutting defecits in half I'm guessing. And nearly an inch of rain for the 1st day of August!

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...

"To one Extreme to Another" :wacko:

Last Tuesday I'm mowing grass with High Temps of 101...then all this smoke infiltrates the Capitol Region for days; it reaches as far west as Lafayette...One of the Hottest August on record + only 1.88" of rainfall the entire month...then September comes along...Tropical Storm Lee drops about 9 1/2" of rain(more than Aug, June & May combined!) And behind him RECORD LOW tonite of 58? mid 50's tmw nite? More like the 1st Week of October! INSANE! Feel bad for Texas and their drought..hoping Lee could have sent more rain there way...

Here is a satelitte pic of the plume NOLA East Marsh Fire that burned last week; started by lightning + very dry conditions

a011108301912pontchmodi.jpg

*courtesy of LSU

• 1 month later...

Yes indeed LT...The "Real" Fall weather is about to arrive with a strong cool front coming thru tommorrow! Today high temps will be near 90! Ouch! But Low temps Wed & Thurs Night are supposed to be in the lower 40's!!! High may not get out of the upper 60's for a couple of days!

Since the drenching from Tropical Storm Lee in early Sept....only a little over a 1/2" inch of rainfall...this front tommorrow coming thru only gives us a 10% of rain