Louisiana Weather

richyb83

Growing up in the Quarter, we had a back courtyard that was nice, but really only had a few plants and roses in the flowerbeds near the side alleyway. At the property out here in Covington, for right now at least, there's 3 1/2 acres to worry about! :blink:

Man, I certainly wouldn't trade places with you. My lot is only a fraction of an acre, and it's big enough. Sounds like you've got quite a bit of property over there, though. Three and a half acres is quite a bit, and a lot to keep up with. I always feel for folks who have to maintain more than a half acre.

Oh, and stop talking about growing up in the Quarter... you're making me jealous. :)

Well we got some cooler temps up here in northwest Arkansas but no rain whatsoever. All the rain seems to suddenly develop to the south and east of us. It's like we have this pocket of dry air over us. We've also moved into the extreme drought phase. Now it looks like we've got conditions similar to what southwest Arkansas had last summer.

We got some very much needed rain here yesterday, it rained all the way home from Lafayette back to Covington. Though we still need all the more rain we can get.

RAIN! :D

IMG_2168.jpg

Very cool... great to see! That should be the 'Louisiana Photo of the Day,' since you guys have been needing that down there so badly.

Very cool... great to see!

Oh you bet! :D

The ground was so dry, that even after two thunderstorms hit the area here around Covington, it was barely wet at all. The water was just sbsorbed by the trees and grass as soon as it hit the ground.

Yes , it rained here yesterday too... but avg. rainfall amounts in the area were only .10" to .25". It's better than nothing, I'll take what I can get ! The narrow squall-line raced thru here really fast. We had a heavy downpour for almost 5 minutes with wind gust around 35mph.

Great windshield pic Nate ! Looks like you probably got a little more rain than we did.

It looked like Brian up in the Shreveport area got alot more rainfall the night before.

Edited by richyb83

Yes , it rained here yesterday too... but avg. rainfall amounts in the area were only .10" to .25". It's better than nothing, I'll take what I can get ! The narrow squall-line raced thru here really fast. We had a heavy downpour for almost 5 minutes with wind gust around 35mph.

Yea, it pushed through way to fast, but like you said, I'll take what I can get! :D

What a DIFFERENCE a week makes !!! After highs temps of 93 last week and not a drop of rain almost the entire month of April.

Low here this morning 53 ! High temp 79 ! ahhhh is that what Spring is supposed to be like ?

Then came a torrential Rain yesterday morning ! 1" to 2" was the average rainfall in the area. Just what the yards needed !

Some strong storms will be headed in our region on Saturday !

A couple more "drought busters", please ?

^Seriously! I walked outside this morning and saw 51 on the thermometer. While last week at the same time of the day it was already around 80.

And we got alot of rain here yesterday morning and tuesday afternoon. It was great! :D

Just to touch on today's topic, it's been very nice. When I went to lunch yesterday I actually felt a bit of a chill as the wind blew. It reminded me of being along Lake Michigan. :) It hasn't felt like that around here in quite a while, so it was nice to see. Today wasn't bad either. Looks like a rainy weekend, though... mainly on Saturday.

Just to touch on today's topic, it's been very nice. When I went to lunch yesterday I actually felt a bit of a chill as the wind blew. It reminded me of being along Lake Michigan. :) It hasn't felt like that around here in quite a while, so it was nice to see. Today wasn't bad either. Looks like a rainy weekend, though... mainly on Saturday.

Is the humidity slowly increasing up there? You can start to feel it rising nearly every day down here.

Is the humidy slowly increasing up there? You can start to feel it rising nearly every day down here.

It stays humid, so I really haven't noticed to be honest. It should be pretty humid tomorrow, though, as the storms and rain begin to move back in.

This is so awesome for my lawn! I finally got rid of all my weeds and dead spots, and now this rain is going to help it that much more.

It stays humid, so I really haven't noticed to be honest. It should be pretty humid tomorrow, though, as the storms and rain begin to move back in.

As we're starting to get more rain now and then here, the humidity goes up quite a bit. I've lived in SE Louisiana for my whole life, and while I can take the humidity, I've never liked it. <_<

Hey Brian, did you just have some rain up there recently? Because there is a line of storms stretching from NE to SW Louisiana moving east, which means that Richy, your probably going to be getting some rain soon, and there were also very high gusts of wind and possible tornadoes in the center of the storm. It's been extremely windy here all day with winds out of the SW moving at over 25mph, which means it was horrible for the PGA golfers at the Zurich Classic in New Orleans today. But I should be getting some rain soon as well, hopefully minus the tornadoes.

And this is one major storm. There are packets of wind north of New Roads,LA with wind gusts over 100mph, and tornadoes are around Baton Rouge and Lafayette. Greater New Orleans and some of Greater Baton Rouge is forecast to get 3.5 inches of rain, and the rest of south Louisiana and SW Mississippi is forecast to get 2.5 inches.

Wow Nate ! Where did you here about the 100mph wind gust north of New Roads ?

I see the radar, it looks really nasty ! Right over the same area you took those Atchafayala pics ! You dont want to be on I-10 headed West. Penny-size hail too ! It's headed this way !!! This evening our area is under Tornado Watch. They had a few Tornados in SE Texas earlier today. And possibly near Alexandria too ?

Edited by richyb83

Wow Nate ! Where did you here about the 100mph wind gust north of New Roads ?

I see the radar, it looks really nasty ! Right over the same area you took those Atchafayala pics ! You dont want to be on I-10 headed West. Penny-size hail too ! It's headed this way !!! This evening our area is under Tornado Watch. They had a few Tornados in SE Texas earlier today. And possibly near Alexandria too ?

WWLTV news in New Orleans reported that gust. And I'm just hoping I don't lose power tonight, because it's gonna be very windy and nasty.

Power has been out in parts of BR for up to 2hrs. My power was out for about 90 minutes.

I've still got power, but I'm expecting to lose it in the next 10 minutes. Before the satelite went out, Fox News said that wind gusts in excess of 80mph were supposed to reach Covington at around 10:20.

It's been pouring here for about 2 hours now, and the wind has finally settled down. The lightning was horrible for about 30 minutes, and then the very heavy rain and very high winds came in at the same time. I've heard parts of New Orleans have already gotten around 4 inches of rain, and the heavier rain was supposed to fall here on the Northshore, and it was supposed to rain longer too. I was very fortunate and suprised not to lose power. I've heard that at least hundreds are without power from New Orleans to central LA.

Hey Richy, do you mind if I change the title of this thread to something like "Louisiana Weather" or "Weather around Louisiana?" Because this thread has turned into a nice discussion thread for weather all across the state. If you guys have any suggestions for a new title, please post them.