Louisiana Weather

richyb83

Wow, the amount of rain in this area over the last few days has been simply amazing. No amount figures or radar images to post, but I can tell you that yesterday morning and this morning were absolute washouts, the rain just poured for hours on end. Streets and highways all around metro New Orleans were flooded at some point through all of this.

Yeah it rained here over 4" yesterday and today in eastern BR. Finally a break from the rain and low temps in the mid-upper 30's Friday morning. We had some strong wind gust out of the WNW this evening.

There was a tornado that killed a man in St.Helena Parish early morning...the path of damage was said to be 4 miles long and nearly 2 miles wide. Another possible tornado was reported near Arcola in Tangipahoa Parish. Wind damage was reported in Plaquemine and parts of Baton Rouge with downed trees over power-lines.

All this rain has made the misquito a terror.

I was working radar during those tornadoes and issued the warnings. The storm that formed in southwest St. Helena had several tornadoes extending from St. Helena on up into Mississippi. It was the strongest tornadic signature I've seen in this area. More akin to something you would see in TX or OK.

I was working radar during those tornadoes and issued the warnings. The storm that formed in southwest St. Helena had several tornadoes extending from St. Helena on up into Mississippi. It was the strongest tornadic signature I've seen in this area. More akin to something you would see in TX or OK.

Wow, that's scary!

Now it's just downright cold. Is it cold down there?? My computer says it's currently 39 here. It was 33 or 34 last night.

We had some frost Friday morning too with lows around 37/38.

Thursday's HIGH was only 58.... 12 degrees below normal for this date!

We had the 6th wetest October on record. We had about 9" of rainfall in eastern BR.

Thanks for the Thanksgiving forecast SlidellWX...warmer later in the week will be nice and some drying-out too.

It was 33 or 34 last night.

It's usually about 5 degrees cooler in SBC than BR around this time of the year. Yall have a better chance for snow too <_<

Edited by richyb83

I had to scrape my car windows yesterday morning...and I can see frost forming on the neighbors roof right now. I'm reading 37 degrees on the back porch thermometer. It will get colder Sunday and Monday before a big warm up for Thanksgiving weekend.

I'm ready for the warm weather to finally just stop. It's supposed to be jacket weather this time of year, not jacket weather one day and shorts weather the next. I really hate our weather down in this region of the country. I love the weather up in Illinois except for storm season.

It made it into the 70s here, and was awesome. Couldn't have better weather! :D

It seems like you guys have been warmer up there in SBC than we have been here in New Orleans, which doesn't occur very often. However, it looks like the entire state has been very fortunate with the weather over the last week! :thumbsup:

It seems like you guys have been warmer up there in SBC than we have been here in New Orleans, which doesn't occur very often. However, it looks like the entire state has been very fortunate with the weather over the last week! :thumbsup:

You're right, it's usually a little cooler up this way. It didn't warm up past 68 there today at all?

Edited by SBCmetroguy

You're right, it's usually a little cooler up this way. It didn't warm up past 68 there today at all?

Nope, it was actually cooler in the city than it was on the Northshore today, the temperature stayed at about 65 all through the day in New Orleans.

Hey Slidell WX...BIG CHANGES on the way!!! MUCH COLDER!!! Back to Winter-time Temps. before the Weekend! Some of the coldest temps of the season! A strong cold front is expected to push through the region late Thursday Night. There is a 60% of rain tommorrow afternoon; Possibly a strong squall-line.

It's been in the upper 70's for high's in BR the past couple of days. Just too warm for late November. High's only in the lower 50's Friday/upper 40's for northern La.. And the NWS is saying low's in the upper 20's on Monday morning for BR!

What a Difference in the Temps!!!!!! This afternoon 75 in Dallas; 31 in OKC; 25 in Witchita.....this same time yesterday it was 72 in OKC...that's a 41 degree difference :wacko:

WX, Shouldn't this next cold-snap last at least a week??

I was curious to hear how much change this cold front was going to affect you guys down there. It's pretty wild having a tornado watch and winter storm watch/warning in place at the same time up here. Our temps just dropped 25 degrees in about 20 minutes not too long ago. Also a bit weird listening to all this talk of how much snow we're going to get tomorrow when it was 70 today up here in my area.

I was curious to hear how much change this cold front was going to affect you guys down there. It's pretty wild having a tornado watch and winter storm watch/warning in place at the same time up here. Our temps just dropped 25 degrees in about 20 minutes not too long ago. Also a bit weird listening to all this talk of how much snow we're going to get tomorrow when it was 70 today up here in my area.

I know Slidell WX is a weather man and probably knows more than me, so I wonder how he feels about my region over the next couple of days. We actually have a chance of a wintry mix tomorrow. I'm not sure how great of a chance it is, but I know it looks like the chances are higher up around Texarkana than down here.

Thanks for the update up in NWA Mith. That's pretty dramatic to have a tornado watch to top it off with a winter storm watch/warning! What are yall High temps supposed to be Thursday??

We actually have a chance of a wintry mix tomorrow. I'm not sure how great of a chance it is, but I know it looks like the chances are higher up around Texarkana than down here.

Wow either way, even if it the wintery precip makes it as far South as Texarkana that's pretty impressive to me.

I hear you Brian. I'm right there with you dude :thumbsup: Your chances of wintery precip are alot better up in SBC than down here in BR. Do yall get sleet or snow at least every other year up there??

Hopefully sometime this Winter Baton Rouge can get a little sleet or snow?? It doesn't happen very often; It happened to snow here a little on New Year' back in 2001 and again about one inch in 2002. I remember your story up in SBC with all the snow yall got during the Independence Bowl in 2001. I could hardly believe my eyes watching it on TV. I remember watching TWC earlier in the day and seeing the heavy snow on radar in eastern Oklahoma and western Arkansas moving south!!! Of course our snow was here in BR was nothing compared to what SBC got.

Edited by richyb83

I hear you Brian. I'm right there with you dude :thumbsup: Your chances of wintery precip are alot better up in SBC than down here in BR. Do yall get sleet or snow at least every other year up there??

Hopefully sometime this Winter Baton Rouge can get a little sleet or snow?? It doesn't happen very often; It happened to snow here a little on New Year' back in 2001 and again about one inch in 2002. I remember your story up in SBC with all the snow yall got during the Independence Bowl in 2001. I could hardly believe my eyes watching it on TV. I remember watching TWC earlier in the day and seeing the heavy snow on radar in eastern Oklahoma and western Arkansas moving south!!! Of course our snow was here in BR was nothing compared to what SBC got.

We rarely get snow... maybe a few flurries every couple of years. Sleet and freezing rain are more common here. Maybe SlidellWX would know why, but for some reason whenever it snows like crazy in Dallas and Texarkana, it just seems to literally fall apart at the state line. This happens every year it seems, and sometimes it happens more than once in a year.

Hey, I was at that Indy Bowl back in '01!! That was before I met my wife, and I was on a date with a girl I knew from the Dallas area. We had one hell of a time at that snowy game, though she did try to drive back to Dallas that night and ended up sliding into a ditch off I-20 somewhere in rural east Texas until a cop found her. She was a cazy girl (fun, but literally insane,) which is why we didn't go back out after that second date! :lol:

When we walked from my car to the stadium, it had just started snowing... little flakes, nothing major. By the time we reached the stadium the flakes had gotten very large and were coming down very fast. Who'd have expected nearly 4 inches of snow in Shreveport? And on top of that, the entire nation got to see it! That way when people told their family members from out of town, they wouldn't call 'em liars. :lol:

Thanks for the update up in NWA Mith. That's pretty dramatic to have a tornado watch to top it off with a winter storm watch/warning! What are yall High temps supposed to be Thursday??

Wow either way, even if it the wintery precip makes it as far South as Texarkana that's pretty impressive to me.

Well the high technically occured just after midnight in the upper 30's. They'll be falling for the rest of the day. Sounds like we'll have a winter mix in the morning and as the colder air mass becomes thicker it will switch over to snow this afternoon and tonight. Most forecasts have predicted from 2" to around 6" for my city, over 6" for some sections of the county just north of me. Our system tonight will be the one that just dumped a lot of snow in New Mexico yesterday and the same storm that was causing the snow in the Monday Night Football game in Seattle.

We rarely get snow... maybe a few flurries every couple of years. Sleet and freezing rain are more common here. Maybe SlidellWX would know why, but for some reason whenever it snows like crazy in Dallas and Texarkana, it just seems to literally fall apart at the state line. This happens every year it seems, and sometimes it happens more than once in a year.

Hey, I was at that Indy Bowl back in '01!! That was before I met my wife, and I was on a date with a girl I knew from the Dallas area. We had one hell of a time at that snowy game, though she did try to drive back to Dallas that night and ended up sliding into a ditch off I-20 somewhere in rural east Texas until a cop found her. She was a cazy girl (fun, but literally insane,) which is why we didn't go back out after that second date! :lol:

When we walked from my car to the stadium, it had just started snowing... little flakes, nothing major. By the time we reached the stadium the flakes had gotten very large and were coming down very fast. Who'd have expected nearly 4 inches of snow in Shreveport? And on top of that, the entire nation got to see it! That way when people told their family members from out of town, they wouldn't call 'em liars. :lol:

Yeah I guess you guys don't get much down there especially considering the way weather patterns have been running lately. Sounds like 20 years ago my area use to get a lot more snow than we ever seem to get now. Maybe it's the same down there and you use to get some snow down there before you were born.

Speaking of Louisiana weather, here's a shot taken today of leaves on the ground in front of a Shreveport home.

Leaves, man I haven't seen those up here in quite a while.

Maybe it's the same down there and you use to get some snow down there before you were born.'

We actually did get snow fairly often within my lifetime. In the early 80s, the Red River through Shreveport-Bossier actually froze over. That's like HELL freezing over, my friend. :lol:

But I also remember sledding down a hill on a carboard box and creating a fort with walls made of snow and ice.

I have lots of fond snow memories, but none within the last few years except for that Indy Bowl.

Leaves, man I haven't seen those up here in quite a while.

:lol: Yeah we still have TONS of them but they're just now falling off.