Louisiana Weather

richyb83

We actually did get snow fairly often within my lifetime. In the early 80s, the Red River through Shreveport-Bossier actually froze over. That's like HELL freezing over, my friend. :lol:

But I also remember sledding down a hill on a carboard box and creating a fort with walls made of snow and ice.

I have lots of fond snow memories, but none within the last few years except for that Indy Bowl.

:lol: Yeah we still have TONS of them but they're just now falling off.

Talk about hell freezing over...in 1899 the Mississippi River froze over in New Orleans. Just a fun fact.

At 2:00 it was 81 in (Sunny)Alexandria and 41 in Shreveport!!!!! :huh: I can never remember that dramatic a temprature difference between those two cities!

It was cloudy (2:00)and 73 in BR. We had a 1/2" of rain today at the

house.

At 11:00 this morning when it was 50 in Shreveport it was only 32 in Dallas!

Hey Brian...do you like the days like today when the temp. actually drops that sharply?? I have always thought that was cool when we had backwards weather days.

Even NWA is seeing less snow ovewr the past 20 years? hmmm, interesting.

At 2:00 it was 81 in (Sunny)Alexandria and 41 in Shreveport!!!!! :huh: I can never remember that dramatic a temprature difference between those two cities!

It was cloudy (2:00)and 73 in BR. We had a 1/2" of rain today at the

house.

At 11:00 this morning when it was 50 in Shreveport it was only 32 in Dallas!

Hey Brian...do you like the days like today when the temp. actually drops that sharply?? I have always thought that was cool when we had backwards weather days.

Even NWA is seeing less snow ovewr the past 20 years? hmmm, interesting.

It's sleeting in north Shreveport.

Edit: now it's sleeting here in southeast Shreveport as well! :)

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Talk about hell freezing over...in 1899 the Mississippi River froze over in New Orleans. Just a fun fact.

Wow! :lol: I didn't see this until Richy replied to it. Very interesting, for sure!

By the way, just got home and it's sleeting like a mofo out here in Haughton. :D Had a nice drive home in the sleet.

It's cold out there! This story was posted around noon. Street vendors in downtown Shreveport try to stay as warm as possible as the front pushes cold winds eastward into the region.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/61130014

It sure did, and it's amazing for me to even picture that happening. I've seen the Mississippi River flowing through New Orleans nearly every day for 21 years now, and I couldn't even begin to imagine it as a giant sheet of ice! :blink:

Looks like yall enjoyed the sleet, even if it was brief??

We got some impressive wind gust as the cold front blasted thru at 6:30pm.

The temps dropped-off sharply; the low this morning around 32 this morning after a High temp. of 76. Today's high was only 52.

Edited by richyb83

Would you believe that I actually saw some SNOW here tonight!? :)

I was down at the Boardwalk taking pictures when I heard some kids yelling "It's snowing!!" I looked up at the black night sky, and sure enough there were snow flurries falling from the clouds that were moving through! :)

It was very short-lived, only a few small, light flurries that lasted 5-10 minutes, and then it was gone. But I was so happy just to see that! :)

Edited by SBCmetroguy

It's already 29 in both Alexandria and Lake Charles! Low's tonight were supposed to be down to 22 in CenLa tonight. BuuRRR

Hey Rod ! What's the low in NWA supposed to be?? The teens ??

And Brian in SBC?? 22??or lower.

Yeah the local channel here said it would be 21. And just north of Texarkana... 17! I can only imagine what it will be in NWA. My father-in-law said it's supposed to be 2 degrees where he lives tonight! They had 15 inches of snow on Friday!! :angry:

It's already 29 in both Alexandria and Lake Charles! Low's tonight were supposed to be down to 22 in CenLa tonight. BuuRRR

Hey Rod ! What's the low in NWA supposed to be?? The teens ??

And Brian in SBC?? 22??or lower.

My city got down to 13 and another nearby city got down to 12. But we've got southwesterly winds this morning so it's much warmer. We have a weird effect when the winds come from a particular direction. As the air passes the Boston Mtns to the south it expands and it warms up. Usually we're the coolest part of the state but when the wind comes from the right direction we can actually be one of the warmer spots, especially overnight. We're just a little below freezing this morning.

Crazy Brian that yall got flurries yesterday.

It's already down to 31 according to TWC. Forecast low temps tonight of 25 degrees tonight. The coldest temp. in 2 years!!!

Maybe we will get some wintery precip this season down in south La.?? :dontknow:

It freezing now! I have to wait for the bus in that. Well if anything I am very happy the bus is at a comfortable temperature in the evening and that I 'm not loosing all of my bodyweight in sweat.

Edited by dan326

BR Metro Airport had a low of 24 degrees this morning; just one degree-off the record low set way back in 1907 with 23!!!!

That's very interesting Rod how much warmer it can get when the winds change direction. Nearly the same way here; once the high pressure moves to our east we get a moist southerly flow off of the Gulf of Mexico; temps and humidity can go up quickly. Part of the resason it never seems to stay cold for any length of time.

Edited by richyb83

Good news...after 5 days without power...my parents got it turned back on at 9:30 tonight. They live in central IL and had 3" of ice last Thursday. Two trees split in two from the weight of the ice and snapped the power pole in front of the house. They have been sleeping on an air mattress at the high school gym the last few days as the temperature in the house dropped into the 20s. The worst ice storm to hit the area since 1978.

I hate to say this...but it looks like this winter will be similar to the winters in the early 80s. The pattern currently in place is similar to the pattern at that time.

Yikes, SlidellWX!! Glad they got it back on though!

By the way, I meant to post this last night but forgot:

That snow I posted about on Sunday night... well, as it turns out it was fake. Obviously being from nosnowman's land I'm not familiar enough with the stuff to tell the real thing from something that's being shot out of a machine. Apparently the Boardwalk has snow nightly during the Christmas holiday. That's really cool and all, bt dang could you at least fill people in? :lol:

That snow I posted about on Sunday night... well, as it turns out it was fake. Obviously being from nosnowman's land I'm not familiar enough with the stuff to tell the real thing from something that's being shot out of a machine. Apparently the Boardwalk has snow nightly during the Christmas holiday. That's really cool and all, bt dang could you at least fill people in? :lol:

:rofl: that's too funny! and i've already told my mother that shreveport got snow!