Louisiana Weather

richyb83

Another surge of Artic air is blasting thru the region this afternoon :yahoo: Tommorrow's high temps in BR will not make it out of the 40's! Record low temps. set way back in 1903 may get broken tonight or tommorrow night. 23-25 degrees.... BuuRR

Last Winter New Orleans coldest temp was only 30 degrees. Tonights low is forecast to be 29..WOW and it's only early December.

SlidellWX the 1st Day of Winter is officially 2 weeks away! There is still January and Febuary to get thru. Wonder if we will get a once-in-lifetime blizzard in southern La. this Winter??? A low-pressure develops in the NW Gulf the same time a Artic Express races thru..and BAM! Everything shuts down in BR with 6" of snow with 35 mph wind gust!!

Edited by richyb83

Another surge of Artic air is blasting thru the region this afternoon :yahoo: Tommorrow's high temps in BR will not make it out of the 40's! Record low temps. set way back in 1903 may get broken tonight or tommorrow night. 23-25 degrees.... BuuRR

Last Winter New Orleans coldest temp was only 30 degrees. Tonights low is forecast to be 29..WOW and it's only early December.

SlidellWX the 1st Day of Winter is officially 2 weeks away! There is still January and Febuary to get thru. Wonder if we will get a once-in-lifetime blizzard in southern La. this Winter??? A low-pressure develops in the NW Gulf the same time a Artic Express races thru..and BAM! Everything shuts down in BR with 6" of snow with 35 mph wind gust!!

Brrr...is right, boy it was frigid up here today. Really weird for it to be that cold and for it to be totally sunny without a cloud in the sky. Usually it's a dark overcast winter day for these types of temps. I'm just waiting to see how cold it is when I get up in the morning.

By the way it's around 7PM and it's already in the teens here with wind chills in the single digits. We need a 'cold' emoticon. :lol:

Yea, it's going to be pretty damn cold here tonight and in the morning. Not as cold as what you guys are seeing up in NWA, but it's still pretty cold, to say the least.

Current temps

acttemp_600x405.jpg

Right now, it's beautiful outside in New Orleans. In a few hours, however, that won't be the case.

And when the cold really begins to hit, it will only be worsened by the high winds around here right now:

us_wind_cur_600x405.jpg

I actually was talking to one of our former New Orleans residents not too long ago. He said yeah it was a lot colder up here compared to down there but at least overall it was a dry cold compared to a 'wetter' cold down there.

Edited by Mith242

I actually was talijg to one of our former New Orleans residents not too long ago. He said yeah it was a lot colder up here compared to down there but at least overall it was a dry cold compared to a 'wetter' cold down there.

Yea, the cold is drying up there, just like the heat. But, once you get used to this type of climate, it's really nothing. :D

Funny you mentioned that Nate; I saw the glitch too :lol:

Look at the mixed precip(purple) in south central Texas...I thought that glitch in Louisiana might have been part of this system that had Winter Storm advisories. It's evaporating as it heads in this direction

usglscloseradarmediumusis6.jpg

The Winter Weather alert in south Texas

severeus600x405ja6.jpg

It's actually warmer in Houston than south La.

Edited by richyb83

Baton Rouge had a record cold start for early December 1st-10th!

7 nights of freezing; 25- degrees for 3 nights!!! We tied a record low of 24 this morning! It's already 32 at Metro Airport and it's only 10:00p.m. They said the low would be 23...ouuchh!!

But in typical south La. fashion the high temps. will be near 70 by Monday :huh:

Baton Rouge had a record cold start for early December 1st-10th!

7 nights of freezing; 25- degrees for 3 nights!!! We tied a record low of 24 this morning! It's already 32 at Metro Airport and it's only 10:00p.m. They said the low would be 23...ouuchh!!

But in typical south La. fashion the high temps. will be near 70 by Monday :huh:

It's 26 here right now, so it's only 6 degrees warmer here than there.

I hate it. I want it to warm back up. :(

If this pattern continues with an active northern jet stream...a winter storm is very possible. However, the southern stream has not been as active yet. To get a good storm in LA we would need to have an active southern jet stream to instigate the development of a low in south TX and the western Gulf and then pull up into the central Gulf Coast. If the southern stream stays inactive this winter...it will be probably just be a cold and dry winter.

As always SlidellWX thanks for the valuable imput :thumbsup:

I'll be monitoring the southern jet this Winter season. Is it possible for the small upper-level lows to come to Louisiana from the northern jet? Or disengaged from the subtropical southern jet??

BR broke another record low this morning. But it's not nealy as cold tonight. Right now its about 15 degrees warmer now than it was this time last night.There is alot of light precip on the radar but it's evaporating. But some darker green may actually be a sprinkle??

We are supposed to get into the lower 70's Mon. and Tues with 60% rain; then average seasonal temps from mid-week on...Any long range forecast SlidellWX?? For the period between Christmas/New Years...another "Artic Blast"??

What nice weather we're having! ;)

It looks like all three of Louisiana's largest metro's are getting swamped right now, especially here in New Orleans:

us_radar_plus_usen.jpg

Seems like it's stopped at my house for a while, but it was a very rainy day. Usually I hate gloomy, rainy days... but today's monsoon (lol) gave me a chance to try out my kick-butt new Nautica brand auto-open umbrella!!! :D

Thanks for posting the national radar Nate.

That's a nice looking low-pressure swirl. Colorado has a nasty blizzard going on over there.

Those two missing mountain hikers on Mt.Hood in Oregon (and one dead) should have payed more attention to the weather when the storm was headed there way. That's scary.

We had plenty of rain here today too..slacked off for now; back to 80% rain chance tommorrow. Cooler weather in time for the weekend, more Christmas-like.

SE La./S. Miss.>Flash Flood Watch til Friday A.M. and Severe T-Storm Watch til 10:00P.M. tonite. We have already recieved plenty of rain; looks like some nasty storms coming out of the gulf as I speak.

5-8 inches of rainfall could fall with the entire system.

Edited by richyb83

Wow, look at that radar! Louisiana is just about completely covered by storms! :blink:

Many parts of New Orleans and Jefferson Parish flooded lightly today with the huge amounts of rain falling across the NOLA area. Though it was mostly just street flooding, and the pumping stations are taking care of it.

Well...El Nino has taken hold. The southern jet is now very active as we will have another 2 low pressure systems moving through this weekend and next week. Get ready for a much wetter and cooler weather for the next couple of weeks.

We recorded up to 12" of rain in Lafourche and Jefferson parishes yesterday. Up to 7 inches of rain fell in parts of the metro area...with rainfall of 2 to 3 inches/hr. around rush hour. It was the most impressive rain we've had since Katrina.

Christmas day was a great weather day! Cold, cloudy, and wind...temps stayed in the upper 40's. Today it's crystal clear skies and only 50 for a high! Tonite's low will be around 30!! Then it's supposed to warm-up the next few days before a "strong" storm system( now entering the west coast) moves into the region Friday with possible severe weather. Then back to colder temps. This El Nino SlidellWX speaks of is a roller-coaster ride!

From Wed-Sunday I got almost exactly 5" inches of rain.

Edited by richyb83