Louisiana Weather

richyb83

Yeah it was a little odd. We had ice storm warnings all weekend long. But in my part of the metro it just ended up as rain. But I noticed southwest Arkansas and northwest Louisiana get put into a watch/warning as well. I guess I should point out it looks like we finally did get some freezing rain last night. Let's see if I can get the car door open this morning. The temp difference has been weird. It's been in the 30's all weekend long but I have family in southeast Arkansas and it's been in the 50's and 60's down there all weekend long.

Hitting the chance of frozen stuff for areas of Lake Pontchartrain a little harder now. Should see a mix of sleet...freezing rain...and rain late Monday night going into Tuesday night. I don't expect any accumulation on roads with temperatures being borderline...but a light glaze of ice may be possible on the car. This will be interesting.

Hitting the chance of frozen stuff for areas of Lake Pontchartrain a little harder now. Should see a mix of sleet...freezing rain...and rain late Monday night going into Tuesday night. I don't expect any accumulation on roads with temperatures being borderline...but a light glaze of ice may be possible on the car. This will be interesting.

Hey WX, I know you specialize in your region, but does that mean we should get some up here? Local forecasters are saying it's possible, and seeing as how you expect to have some of it down there, it would seem we'd get some as well.

78- in NOLA....36-in Shreveport :wacko: 28- in Dallas

The cold front just passed BR the past hour..temps. are begining to drop...it's 55 in Lafayette

...but a light glaze of ice may be possible on the car. This will be interesting.

What about bridges and overpasses?? If that's the case I wonder if the Wednesday morning commute will be too nasty/dangerous for school buses to travel??

It sounds like the chance is only slight for BR; like you mentioned WX before...maybe the northern stretches of the Florida parishes....St.Francisville, Kentwood, Bogalusa??

Edited by richyb83

The temps have dropped about 15 degrees in Baton Rouge; but it's still a balmy 59 compared to Houston at only 36....

South Central Texas is under some Winter Storm Watches and Warnings with an upper-level low coming out of Mexico. Things could get tricky for them later tonight. That same system is what could give us our Wintery precip TuesdayNight?? Tommorrow's high's are supposed to stay around 32 in Houston all day!

sccurtemp440x297of8.jpg

WOW Rod..that's really cold..I cant remember the last time we were down in the teens!!

Edited by richyb83

Brian, looks like you may get the day off tommorrow?? Looks like alot of frozen precip is headed your way from Texas overnight.

They're saying that it will likely hit dry air and not do much of anything here. I'd like for them to be wrong... even though I was off work on Friday for personal reasons and left early today because of the bridge closures. ;)

EDIT: Crap!! That huge mass of moisture is holding together quite well. It may reach us afterall!!

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I forgot to add "NORTH" in the areas of Lake Pontchartrain statement. I ended up issuing a Winter Weather Advisory up toward McComb and St. Francisville. We had some sleet in that area last night...and a few bridges were slick...but no ground accumulation. Pretty much went exactly as I thought it would. Of course...ice on bridges is a big deal down here. I heard that I-49 got shut down near Alexandria due to the ice on the bridges. The BR metro itself stayed just above freezing last night which is a good thing.

I forgot to add "NORTH" in the areas of Lake Pontchartrain statement. I ended up issuing a Winter Weather Advisory up toward McComb and St. Francisville. We had some sleet in that area last night...and a few bridges were slick...but no ground accumulation. Pretty much went exactly as I thought it would. Of course...ice on bridges is a big deal down here. I heard that I-49 got shut down near Alexandria due to the ice on the bridges. The BR metro itself stayed just above freezing last night which is a good thing.

Urban I-49 through inner-city Shreveport was shut down yesterday and today due to ice. I-220 around Shreveport also was shut down again today, but reopened around 2:00 and then closed again tonight. :wacko: I drove over some patches of left-over ice this evening on a north-south thoroughfare I took since I couldn't drive I-49.

I had heard parts of I-49 were even closed in Alexandria.

Yesterday on lunch-break tiny sleet grains were bouncing off my jacket. It stayed 35 degrees most of the night in BR.

Hey Slidell WX the Pineapple Express is in Full Effect. Looks like mostly cloudy skies for the region for the next 5 or 6 days?? Any idea on how cold late January or February are forecasted to be?? What are the chances of some flurries in BR for the rest of the Winter??

Glad the situation was not too serious in SBC

I spent the day down in Houston, and it was the same way there. It actually felt colder down there earlier today than it does up here tonight.

I've got two questions for you:

1. Did you bring back some photos from the H-Town?
  2. When are you finally going to make that trip to New Orleans!? :lol:

Did you bring back some photos from the H-Town?
Yes, but I'm shooting in RAW these days so I have to "develop" them first. As soon as I get some done, I'll post them to my Flickr account and I'll post some here on UP (Photos forums and Houston photos topics.)

When are you finally going to make that trip to New Orleans!?

Soon I hope... I'm really fiending. I wore my wife down until she finally agreed to spend the day in Houston with me. So we got up at 4:30 and were out of the house by 5:00. It's only a 4-hour drive, compared to about 6 to New Orleans... so even though it's not an EASY day trip, it can still be done. When I go back down to New Orleans I plan to spend 2-4 days. We're considering it for our anniversary, so who knows... I hope we can make it down there at that time. Our 5-year anniversary will be in 2008, and we're planning on going back to the resort in Jamaica where we got married. :D