Louisiana Weather

richyb83

Hey Brian. Hope all is well up there. :thumbsup: I saw on the local news where an F1 Tornado did some damage in north Bossier.

Yeah, I had no idea. I was at work and there was a pretty bad storm blowing through. My wife was at home cooking, since we were having friends over. My mother called on the phone and asked if we knew a tornado had hit and we had no idea. I immediately jumped in my car with my camera and headed over to my old neighborhood, where there was quite a bit of damage. Not IN the neighborhood, but in the commercial area right outside of it. The area I'm talking about is actually only about 1/4-mile from where the new Villaggio development is to be constructed. I have photos, but I haven't gone through them yet. I'm interested in seeing what all I was able to capture. I then drove on to Carriage Oaks in the east Bossier area, not far from Haughton. That's actually where the majority of the damage occurred. I drove through there and saw all the shredded fences and homes. Carriage Oaks is actually a very upscale neighborhood, with homes starting at $200,000-$250,000 and going all the way up to $1 million+ in some sections of the subdivision. I was driving around the neighborhood and there were tons of cops and ambulances, and a couple of Red Cross vehicles. The damage wasn't extremely bad, but some homes did get shredded. I've seen much worse, but I do know I'd hate to have gone through that. One guy interviewed in The Times today, said that he was on his back patio using his smoker, and when the winds began to pick up he was in the process of moving everything indoors. Then out of the blue, a tornado hit.

^My family in SW Arkansas was telling me that it got very bad up there at points, and that along with what Brian said shows that that the Ark-La-Tex took the biggest hit, like you said. Though I was very happy to see the low head a bit more north than originally forcast, as that definately saved SE Louisiana from some serious storms.

• 2 weeks later...

This mornings low temp was 31 in BR according to WAFB. I was wondering how many more freezes we will have? Was that the last one?? Any idea SlidellWX?? I can remember some sleet in early March years ago. I know it's typically a roller coaster month with Spring and Winter clashing.

Hey Richy, sorry for the delay. Was down in NOLA at a hurricane conference the last few days. I think the last cold snap of the year was this past weekend. Historically, we don't get many freezes in March.

Coming off the conference, it looks like this will be a "normal" year for tropical activity in the Atlantic Basin. The El Nino has started to wane in the last couple of weeks, and we are going into a more neutral pattern. A few colleagues are concerned that a La Nina cycle may develop in the next 3 months, but I don't see that happening. The rate of cooling in the eastern Pacific is not dramatic enough to cause a La Nina cycle to form that quickly based off the data I've seen.

We got 2/3" inch of rain at the house yesterday; parts of BR got over 3"inches of rain with and urban and small stream flood advisory. Hit-n-miss T-showers today. And a chance of Severe weather on Wednesday for our region with a slow moving low-pressure system in Texas.

I was just informed on the news about a tornado that hit Haughton, and it seems it went right through the area I live in. It overturned an 18-wheeler on I-20, just about 5 miles east of my house and tore up a neighborhood just abut 3 miles west of my house.

Let us know how everything went. Hoping everything is O.K. Please let us know. Earlier in the afternoon TWC said there were Tornado "Warnings" for northern Caddo and northern Bossier.

We had just a few showers in BR today with some sunshine.

Let us know how everything went. Hoping everything is O.K. Please let us know. Earlier in the afternoon TWC said there were Tornado "Warnings" for northern Caddo and northern Bossier.

We had just a few showers in BR today with some sunshine.

Later they came back and said nothing touched down... so I guess everything is cool. We had some really bad clouds and a long, heavy hailstorm at work around 4:00 or so.

And Spring is a beautiful thing, isn't it Richy! :D

Yes it is, most of the time Nate. But look at the "turbulent weather" Brian's area has been getting!!!!! What a awesome contrast in weather pics!!!

^^^^WOW, How did I miss that!!! :shok: AWESOME SHOT!!! That's some turbulent weather!!! Thanks for posting that Brian.

A "CLASH of SEASONS"!!!! :tough:

Yes it is, most of the time Nate. But look at the "turbulent weather" Brian's area has been getting!!!!! What a awesome contrast in weather pics!!!

^^^^WOW, How did I miss that!!! :shok: AWESOME SHOT!!! That's some turbulent weather!!! Thanks for posting that Brian.

A "CLASH of SEASONS"!!!! :tough:

That shot was taken by Lindsay Hickman, one of my Flickr contacts. I recognize that apartment complex... it's about 2 miles from my office, and right in the middle of Shreveport's busiest retail corridor: Youree Drive/Industrial Loop.

After a warmer than normal month of March with High Temps. in the 80's for much of the month(low's in the 60's)...a nice "Cool Down" is coming on thru complements of Canada in time for Easter. Instead of 85 like earlier in the week today's high in BR will only be in the upper 60's. Low tonight is expected to be 44. This weekend they say it will be even cooler with High Temps. maybe not out of the 50's?? :wacko: And low's possibly in the upper 30's or lower 40's.

Pretty cold for early April!!! What a roller coaster ride! Enjoy it now, temps will be back to normal by the middle of next week.

TWC said Dallas could have a record "low" High temp. Friday or Saturday.

Edited by richyb83

Yes...a very unusual early Spring cold snap is on the way for Easter weekend. I don't think we will see a freeze in southern parts of the state, but northern and central areas definitely will. It's also going to be cloudy and wet through the weekend. We begin to warm up again early next week.