Louisiana Weather

richyb83

Yes Nate, I got a little over an inch" of rain in the gage today :thumbsup: We needed the rain after the dry March we had. Thanks for posting the weather graphic; you ain't kiddin', the precip extends in a band from Florida to the Dakota's and Big Sky country.

They say the next rain chances will come late Friday night, Saturday with a system out in the Pacific. But the 2nd half of the weekend should be nice and sunny.

BE on the LOOK-OUT!!!

What TWC is labeling a "vigorous system" will move thru the Ark-La-Tex Region later tonight.

*Check-out how large of area is under tornado watch "red" including SBC, Monroe, down to LC. and severe T-storm watch boxes(yellow)

Some damage has already been reported out of Dallas.

The risk of Severe weather is higher in No.Louisiana; however their is still a moderate risk of severe weather for the rest of the State. Strong damaging winds and isolated tornados are the main threats!

usradarplususenlk2.jpg

My brother, cousin, friends etc. went to a camp at Lake D'Arbonne in No. La. for the weekend. It already has been storming there and in SBC.

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

A Thunder Storm with weak rotation caused a Tornado Warning for WBR & EBR for a short time tonight. No tornado or wind damage reported.

Severe T-Storm Warnings are currently in effect for the BR area and Tangipahoa.

usmsyultraradarplususenpt7.jpg

We need some rain, just nothing too severe!

Edited by richyb83

My coworker issued that warning. It looked really good over toward Brusly...but completely crapped out crossing the river. We also had a mini-bow echo feature over Tangipahoa, but it fell apart quickly. However...Brusly did record over 4" of rain with this storm. Very impressive.

Wow, that's cool. Thanks for the expertise SlidellWX :thumbsup: I saw the animated weather radar over and over and saw what yall were talking about. I was about ready to go to sleep; then got into "alert mode" once I heard about the warning. That's crazy! Did the Mississippi River have anything to do with the storm crapping out?? There was another intense storm on it's heels.

Those thunderstorms were training just west of BR. I figured they got alot of rain. I got 1.50" of rain on the gauge in the backyard. Much needed here.

I really can't say if the river played a role in the storm intensity. I think the main culprit for the rapid weakening was that a 45 knot low level jet streak at around 5000 feet had begun to shift over toward Tangipahoa Parish at that time. That low level jet allowed for some great shear...which increased the severity around 11 PM in the Baton Rouge area. It also allowed the line of thunderstorms to finally begin pulling to the east.

Yeah Nate, it was a rough night and an even rougher Friday. The lightning was spectacular!!! We recieved a month's worth of rainfall today; about 5 to 6" inches in the area. :wacko:

>>Check out the BR Photo of the Day posted by Byrde to see the flooded R.R. under-pass. A couple of clowns were actually caught on tape jumping into the water it was so deep!!!

Those were some serious storms yesterday! As much as 5 inches of rain fell around New Orleans, leaving much of the city dealing with major street flooding, but overall, the new pumps throughout the city did a good job, taking care of the flooding in a matter of hours.

Storms rolling through SE Louisiana right now, so everyone in metro Baton Rouge and New Orleans needs to be on the lookout for some scattered thunderstorms. A bunch of rain just dropped in Saint Tammany, and there's another cell following it that's currently closing in on Baton Rouge.

us_radar_plus_usen.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Louisiana is going to have rainy weather for the next few days. Deep tropical moisture from a strong southerly flow + an upper level trough in Texas is slowly headed this way. Texas has been having flooding problems the past few days, while most of the U.S. Southeast (Al, Ga, Fl) is begging for rain! :wacko:

usjancloseradarplususenol5.jpg

Alot of rain today in metro New Orleans. Parts of the city saw well over 2 inches of rain, the Covington-Folsom area in west Saint Tammany saw over 4 inches of rain, and parts of east Saint Tammany saw nearly 2.5 inches.

With that said, there's alot more on the way!

us_jan_closeradar_plus_usen.jpg