Louisiana Weather

richyb83

Hey Richy, do you mind if I change the title of this thread to something like "Louisiana Weather" or "Weather around Louisiana?" Because this thread has turned into a nice discussion thread for weather all across the state. If you guys have any suggestions for a new title, please post them.

I can't answer for Richy, but 'Louisiana Weather' sounds best to me since it began as a thread about the drought but has evolved into a general weather thread.

That sounds GREAT to me, "Louisiana Weather" it is !!!

That nasty line T-STORMS that rolled thru here was WILD ! 5" of rain and Wind gust here were 52 mph ! I hadn't seen that kind of wind since those dreaded Hurricanes. Talk about a 1-2 punch for Louisiana ! Katrina goes up the Pearl River to the East; Rita goes up the Sabine to the West ! Only ONE MONTH APART ! Wild ! Tommorrow it will be a month til Hurricane Season starts again. Time is flying !

That sounds GREAT to me, "Louisiana Weather" it is !!!

That nasty line T-STORMS that rolled thru here was WILD ! 5" of rain and Wind gust here were 52 mph ! I hadn't seen that kind of wind since those dreaded Hurricanes. Talk about a 1-2 punch for Louisiana ! Katrina goes up the Pearl River to the East; Rita goes up the Sabine to the West ! Only ONE MONTH APART ! Wild ! Tommorrow it will be a month til Hurricane Season starts again. Time is flying !

Wow, that is crazy. I really hate that happened down there, after all south Louisiana goes through with hurricanes.

And I knew hurricane season was coming back up, but I had no idea we were only 1 month away.

*sigh*

Ok, I'll change the title of the thread! :D

And I knew hurricane season was coming back up, but I had no idea we were only 1 month away.

*sigh*

Yea, time is really flying. And for me, it seems like yesterday I was sitting in this house watching 100+ mph winds ravage the area for more than 6 hours. Then staying for a week without power before heading up to Baton Rouge, and in a month, all the hurricanes start again..

The storm that blew through BR on Saturday night was packing a serious punch. It caused this oak tree to blow over a garage/storage room on the property of a local State Farm agents office. I wonder how long it will take for the agent to get his claim paid? ;)

67222631-M.jpg

67222650-M.jpg

67222645-M.jpg

67222637-M.jpg

^Wow, that storm did pack a punch when it rolled through Baton Rouge. Thanks for providing the photos, bryde.

When the storm came through Covington, it had picked up speed and moved through the area faster than it did through Baton Rouge. But it still knocked out power across the area, blew over plenty of trees, and dropped over 3 inches of rain.

Good News!!!

The La Nina pattern we have been in the last couple of years finally appears to be breaking down. Pacific SST's have returned to normal except for right off the coast of Peru. What this means for us is that hurricane formation will be bit more difficult this year.

The SST's really started changing in early April and it appears that we are pretty much out of La Nina now. As you may have noticed...the jet stream has responded in kind and suddenly dropped from the Plains and Midwest into the Gulf region in the last 2 weeks. Thus...we have been getting some much needed rain as of late...and it looks like this rainy pattern will be in place for a while. It's also giving the Midwest a break from the tornadoes they had in March and April.

Since the jet should be more active in the region...it will be harder for tropical cyclones to develop in the Gulf...or if they do get into the Gulf...they should experience a greater amount of shear and weaken before making landfall. Unfortunately...this pattern does not bode well for FL and the East Coast. Generally...you see alot more storms form in the eastern Carribean and curve up the East Coast in a non La Nina year as the strong westerlies over the US force the storms east of the Gulf.

Lets hope this pattern stays.

We had nearly 2 inches of rain here in Covington this morning after another pretty powerful thunderstorm rolled through. No electricity problems, but the storm dropped plenty of rain in Tangipahoa, Washington, and Saint Tammany Parish's.

It's time you guys in south Louisiana got a break from mother nature. I only hope the east coast doesn't get slammed as badly this year as you guys did last year. But the shift is great news and I hope this gives you guys at least another year to prepare for mother nature's fury.

But the shift is great news and I hope this gives you guys at least another year to prepare for mother nature's fury.

I really hope it turns out that way. Just a one year break from any major storms could do wonders for New Orleans' rebuilding process.

Thanks Slidell WX for that good news. It's really been a nasty Cycle in the Gulf the past few seasons. Living in BR and observing so many Hurricanes Ivan, Dennis, Emily hitting the same area, it was only a matter of time they would shift more to the west. How many bullets can we continue to dodge ? Unfortunatly Louisiana has been in the line of fire. I do not wish Hurricanes on anyone as well, but it would seem the east coast is due, and lower Texas.

Thank goodness the dip in the jet-stream finally gave us this much needed rainfall ! It had been the warmest, driest Spring until this.

Yeah Nate, I saw some heavy rain in the Northshore area. The stationary front has been parked from Texas across south-central La.for a few days. So this rain has been a welcome break.

The small swamp near Lee HS in BR was drying up, usually that does not occur til Summer. Well it filled-up nicely after last weekend's monsoon.

Edited by richyb83

Yes...the best thing to happen would be that all storms avoid land this year. Unfortunately...it usually doesn't work out that way. I'm just glad that the La Nina cycle has finally ended.

It rained a bit at Jazzfest today...but not too heavily. Unfortunately...Fats did not get to play. Lionel Ritchie put on a heck of a show though...and seeing Pete Fountain play again was great.

Yes...the best thing to happen would be that all storms avoid land this year. Unfortunately...it usually doesn't work out that way. I'm just glad that the La Nina cycle has finally ended.

Just to make sure I'm clear about everything, does the La Nina cycle ending mean that there will be more of a chance that hurricanes(at least stronger one's) head towards the East Coast rather than the Gulf Coast? I really don't want to wish these hurricanes on anyone, but we need a break.

Edit: Yea yea, I know it's La Nina!

Just to make sure I'm clear about everything, does the El Nina cycle ending mean that there will be more of a chance that hurricanes(at least stronger one's) head towards the East Coast rather than the Gulf Coast? I really don't want to wish these hurricanes on anyone, but we need a break.

La Nina, and that's the way I understood it as well.

A Severe T-Storm late this evening had moved across northern Tangipahoa Parish and Wasington Parish thru Franklinton with penny-size hail and gusty winds. This was part of the system that pounded the Monroe area earlier today.

Also earlier today, strong T-Storms raced along the coastal sections from Vermillion Bay to Grand Isle. And across Lake Ponchartrain.

Edited by richyb83

Well I just finished watching WWL Channel 4 news here in New Orleans, and here was the info I got about this year's hurricane season. This info is from the NWS.

U.S. Gulf Coast

Probability that a major hurricane will strike coast in 2006: 47%(or 43% I may have heard it wrong from a distance)

Average probability: 30%

U.S. East Coast

Probability that a major hurricane will strike coast in 2006: 61%

Average probability: 31%