Louisiana Weather

richyb83

Spent the last 3 hours out in the sun, with very little shade. I don't care what anyone says....it was over 500 degrees today. ;)

But seriously, this is the kind of heat that makes you want to go to bed in the afternoon; it just takes the life out of you.

Yeah you right Derrick.

Tell me about it Nate, last week the heat sapped me inside a gym playing basketball. No AC or fan that I could remember. Stamina was zapped in no time.

Third day in a row of Record High Temps in BR; today 102 tied the record!!!

Yesterday was described very unusual...."dry heat", with humidity only 27%, almost like desert air! WOW! Another 100 degree day again on Tuesday??

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rough weather in the Region! Severe T-Storm Watch for western 1/2 of Louisiana.

North of SBC in to Webster Parish a rotating T-Storm cell prompted a Tornado Warning; not far from Brian's area. Hope there was minimal damage?

Here in BR a heavy rain band racing from the south out of the Gulf got my place nearly 1/2 inch of rain in less than 30 minutes. The weak low-pressure in the Gulf moved inland near TX/LA border earlier today. A report of a tornado in the Beaumont area.

Cool front Friday makes for a nice weekend!

Edited by richyb83

I'm impressed with the cool temps today! The temps have stayed in the upper 50's(after high's in upper 80's yesterday) with a nice northwesterly breeze; and overcast too. The arm wrestling contest between Fall/Summer the past few weeks is starting to tilt!

Hopefully a similar system will pas thru in January giving us snow flurries!

Yestrday NOLA and the Northshore got pummeled all day with heavy rains; amounts 6 to 8" inches! Here in EBR I got nearly 3" of rain.

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

It's getting chilly finally. The wind is blowing pretty good tonight from the North. With dropping temps overnight, I can easily see wind chills in the 30's for the Southshore tomorrow AM...and 20's for the Northshore. Clearly a strong Canadian front has passed through the area.

Yeah I was wondering what effects there would be down there. At first they predicting a freeze just through central Arkansas but now it sounds like southern Arkansas is being included. Not sure if it's being extended down to any parts of Louisiana. Sure was chilly up here, lower than what was predicted. Never got out of the 40's.

Yeah I was wondering what effects there would be down there. At first they predicting a freeze just through central Arkansas but now it sounds like southern Arkansas is being included. Not sure if it's being extended down to any parts of Louisiana. Sure was chilly up here, lower than what was predicted. Never got out of the 40's.

Not sure about a freeze, but it's 44 here right now. Brrr... that's cold to me.

^Thank you BOTH for the imput.! I was about to revive this thread this afternoon but got too busy!

The air here in BR is cool and crisp too! The canadian front blew thru here around 9:00am with Nice wind gust and a sprinkle or two. We are expecting a low temp. around 39 in the morning. High tommorrow around 64?? But by the weekend temps will be in the upper 70's again.

The Gulf is less than 100 miles from here so the cold doesn't seem to last too long! I bet the air raw up in them mountains in NWA Rod! What's yall's elevation?? BR is roughly 29' to 53' ft. above sea level.

Oh hey Brian! Now I see your post too! SBC is almost always colder than here in BR; it's now 52.

Edited by richyb83

^Thank you BOTH for the imput.! I was about to revive this thread this afternoon but got too busy!

The air here in BR is cool and crisp too! The canadian front blew thru here around 9:00am with Nice wind gust and a sprinkle or two. We are expecting a low temp. around 39 in the morning. High tommorrow around 64?? But by the weekend temps will be in the upper 70's again.

The Gulf is less than 100 miles from here so the cold doesn't seem to last too long! I bet the air raw up in them mountains in NWA Rod! What's yall's elevation?? BR is roughly 29' to 53' ft. above sea level.

Oh hey Brian! Now I see your post too! SBC is almost always colder than here in BR; it's now 52.

It's been quite a while since I've posted over here. Just happened to see someone post here and thought I'd mention something as well. I had just posted in a weather topic over in the NWA forum. Fayetteville's elevation range from around 1100ft to 1500 ft depending on what area you're at. I think one thing that happens is that the Ozarks holds up cold air heading south. Giving it more time to moderate by the time it gets past. Around this time of year it can be quite a bit colder here than just about everywhere else in the state.

^WOW! Nice elevation! I can only imagine! On average how much snowfall does NWA get in year???

Honestly nowadays it varies quite a bit. It's gotten where some years we might hardly get any at all. Listening to the people who have lived here a while it sounds like this area used to get quite a bit more and would use to get some big individual snows. But if I had to take a wild stab of a guess I'd say since 2000 we might average several snows of about 1-3" a winter. Another thing to take into account is that snowfall amounts vary quite a bit even in this corner of the state. The northern part of the metro averages close to double the amount the southern part of the metro gets. A little further north into Missouri and the amount seems to jump even more. A little further south of the metro and the amount on average drops quite a bit as well.

• 4 weeks later...

December weather in New Orleans...

I get up Tuesday morning to find nothing but grey, overcast skies and temperatures in the low 30's. So...I hop on the streetcar and head towards Carrollton dressed like an eskimo. ;)

Later that afternoon, it's 4 p.m. and I'm walking down Magazine street wearing a T-shirt and shorts...it's 70 degrees and there's not a single cloud in the sky.

That's why when people not familiar with New Orleans plan trips to the city for Christmas/New Year's, locals will tell them to literally pack "everything." :lol: