Louisiana Weather

richyb83

After a Spring-like several weeks(10th Warmest January on record?)...a quick Artic Blast racing down into the Gulf! Temps currently stuck at only 48 in the Sunshine w northerly wind gust 20+mph! Tonights lows in the Capital Region expected to plunge into the upper 20's! It won't last long w high temps in the 70's by Valentine's Day...

The rainfall has picked up some a past few weeks; nearly 5 inches in 2 1/2 weeks...In 2011... I only recorded (approx.) 46 inches of rain in the gauge; avg yearly rainfalls are closer to 62 inches...

• 1 month later...

The NWS finally made it official...a EF-1 Tornado(Winds 100 mph) touched down near Walker last Wednesday...there was some damage to homes. This was the same system caused the tornado in Praireville....Nearly 4 inches of Rain on the gauge in the backyard...

So far this has been the 5th Warmest March on record in the BR area...hope this is not a sneak preview of Summer.

• 4 weeks later...

^Yeah you right! Let's hope it's a quiet Hurricane Season like last year.

After the Warmest March(16th Wettest) on record in BR ....we break a Record Low of 44 degrees this morning in late April! Probably won't see that again til Fall. High temps back in mid 80's in a few days....

• 1 month later...

8th Warmest May on record....and 4.7" of rainfall for the month...for only the 4th time in recorded history there were 2 Tropical Storms Alberto & Beryl...Hurricane Season did not start til June 1st...hopefully the busy May will not be a sign of things to come...it has been nice and quite the past 3 years along the Louisiana Gulf Coast.

Mammatus Clouds after an early May Thunder-Storm

may2012006.jpg

may2012007.jpg

may2012008.jpg

• Blame 'ponding': The National Weather Service says flooding could occur Saturday and Sunday with heavy rains, following a "ponding" of water today as a moisture-rich tropical air mass advances northward from the Gulf of Mexico. A flood watch is in effect for Greater Baton Rouge from 10 a.m. today until Sunday evening. Rainfall could exceed six inches over the next three days with some areas getting two to three inches of rain at a time.

http://www.businessreport.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=daily-reportAM&date=20120608

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well BRPJ...you got it...Those predictable thunderstorms have been back nearly everyday for awhile...nearly 7 inches of rain in July here at the house...just missed some bigger rains here past two days.

And today...lightning sparked fire on I-10 median near Prairieville

http://theadvocate.c...ks-fire-on-i-10

Edited by richyb83

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

BR Metro Airport recorded the season's 1st Freeze; 31 low temp yesterday morning...coldest low since Feb 12th's 28 degrees....Average 1st Freeze is Nov 28th....Record Earliest Freeze way back in 1898 was on October 27th.

After the large surplus of rain from the very wet August...October & November have ONLY had about 1inch 1/2" of rainfall...the 70% of rain tonight for the area is needed.

For the year BR Metro Airport has recorded 55.26 inches so far...average to date is 54.32...so it's close.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of tornadoes in the BR area this morning; one in Baker EF1 on Fujita Scale winds around 105 mph...the other in Gonzales(probably EF1) as a line of thunderstorms blasted thru ahead of a strong cold front...

http://theadvocate.com/home/4647076-125/storms-damage-gonzales-fire-station

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...

A wet ending to 2012 & wet start to 2013! Over 8 inches of rain in December + Nearly 14 " inches of rain the first 14 days of the new year...INSANE! Last Tuesday Nights rain gauge overflowed at 5 inches...guessing it was about 6?? This is the Wettest 6 Week period in Dec-Jan since 1888 in BR area! And already 3rd Wettest January on record not even at half-way point! A few more days of rain (cold) is expected..

Shreveport/Northern Louisiana experienced a little Wintry precip today too!

The BR area finished 12' with a nice rainfall surplus...

Edited by richyb83

• 4 weeks later...

BR had it's 2nd Wettest January on record...some places in the region probably their wettest! I had about 15" inches of rain at the house...February has had nearly 2" inches of rain already...& an additional 2-4 inches are possible Sunday-Tuesday for Mardi Gras!

BR had NO freezes for the entire month of January...only the third time in 88 years....BR averages 16 freezes per Winter...so far only 5. NOLA still has yet to have a freeze so far!

Ouuch...the mosquitos are going to be bad come Spring!

• 1 month later...

Winter's Last Stand?? Some Spring Break! lol...Grandma always said there was a cold snap right before Easter! Wednesday mornings Low Temp in BR was 29...just one degree off the Record set way back in 1955!  Four straight mornings with Low's in the 30's...impressive stuff for this time of year in the Gulf South!

The first weekend of March proved to the Coldest of the Winter Season...with Low of 28 at BR Metro Airport...Winter flexed it's muscles late this season(wondered where it had been)...thankfully the Severe Weather stayed away...only 1inch & 1/4 of rainfall so far this month...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Even in early May...the impressive cool snaps in Spring continue!

May 3rd/Friday Night at 11:59PM one record Low was broken at 44 degrees...then again for(May 4th) Saturday morning's Low at 40! Sunday/May 5th afternoon's High was only 65...breaking a record for Coolest High Temp! Yesterday's low of 47 was just one degree from tying the record!

The BR area has still yet to reach 90...at this same time last year it had already happened 4 or 5 times....

• 4 months later...

The Summer of 2013 in south Louisiana was not nearly as bad as it has been the past few years...

http://theadvocate.com/home/6965095-125/worst-of-summer-is-behind

And the 1st half of Hurricane season has been so quiet; have not needed to start our annual thread....Only quick lived tropical storms (Never happened that storms A-G never turned into hurricanes) that either fizzled out or developed too close to land/making landfall too quickly to get revved up....

Peak Day of Hurricane Season was Sept 10th(yesterday)/now beginning on 2nd half & finally  hurricane "Humberto" formed way out in the Atlantic...the 2nd latest hurricane to develop in the satellite era...it should stay out to sea..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What has proved to be the Weakest Hurricane Season in my lifetime....has only been verified by cream-puff Karen moving into the northern Gulf! :yawn:  Like most of the storms this season; that have had to battle with high-wind-shear at the upper-levels + dry air...Karen is just barely hanging on to tropical storm status! No complaints here...we needed a break from hurricane season; no new thread's necessary! 

The 1st legit Fall Front is on the way by late afternoon Sunday across the region...can hardly wait for some cooler breeze!  Low temps' in the mid/upper 50's for much of next week! :yahoo:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes indeed Antrell :thumbsup:

A nice Arctic plunge is racing south toward Louisiana tomorrow afternoon!  Forecast calls for possible light freeze for the I-10/12 Corridor Wed & Thurs Morning's....this would be the Earliest Freeze for BR since 1993....The Average 1st Freeze is Nov 24th....The Earliest Freeze recorded was Oct 28th(1957)....Latest Freeze Jan 5th(1971)....Can you imagine a year w NO FREEZE in December?? :shok:

• 4 weeks later...

The roller coaster temperatures  continue...BR Broke a Record High today of 84......after a chilly Thanksgiving Week of nearly record-breaking Lows(26)....temps are expected to fall throughout the day on Friday as a strong cold front moves across the region...

As of 10:00pm  BR is 73 degrees & Shreveport only 38!

It's under 30 here right now, with freezing rain occurring. I walked out back about a half hour ago, and a little bush outside my back door had icicles hanging off its leaves. When my wife and I went out Christmas shopping earlier, there was a light dusting of snow on the Industrial Drive and Old Minden Road overpasses in Bossier City. That was as far as we went on I-20, so I'm sure it was probably the same all the way down I-20 for a while. The precipitation has been spotty all day, but is starting to fill in now.

Now this is the crap I like. I don't like it when it's cold and it rains and we get nothing out of it. I'm not a fan of freezing rain, which we're getting at the moment and my wife just went out in, but I love the hell out of snow. That's my jam.