Louisiana Weather

richyb83

Those forecasts are about 2 months old now. they are from Dr. William Gray with Colorado State. Will have to see what the next forecast looks like in June since this new trend has developed.

Yea, I looked on the internet and found out that those forecasts weren't new. I'm guessing WWL showed it before, and I just missed it.

Yep, good discussion there SlidellWX. Hurricane forcasting is definitely one of my hobbies. I enjoy it immensly. I find it a challenge... taking what mother nature gives you... putting your head to the numbers and trends and coming out with your own track. Got pretty good at it last year. I'm sure we'll have threads in the future on this board as soon as there's a storm God forbid. But, there will be.

Richy, the Austrailian season shouldn't have much to do with ours. It's in a different hemisphere. It's best for us to analyze the interation between the two areas in the northern hemisphere... the entire Pacific and Atlantic, and how they interact. It's facinating stuff., and it happens all season. Joe beotchi is a big fan of these season long interactions with AccuWeather.

Edited by TSmith

I'm sure we'll have threads in the future on this board as soon as there's a storm God forbid. But, there will be.

I was planning on starting a Louisiana Hurricane Season thread on the first day of Hurrican Season, and while it will eventually have storms, storm tracks, and info, hopefully it won't need to be used nearly as much as it would've been last year.

I was planning on starting a Louisiana Hurricane Season thread on the first day of Hurrican Season, and while it will eventually have storms, storm tracks, and info, hopefully it won't need to be used nearly as much as it would've been last year.

Great idea!! Do it!!

Sounds like a plan. And I agree, hopefully it won't be as necessary as last year.

Weather is right up there with sports for me. It's the best part of Newscast. Weather effects everything + is fascinating !

Yeah, its crazy to watch the Cyclones rotating in a clock-wise direction in the southern hemisphere; the opposite direction our Hurricanes rotate. Even the toilets flush backwards there. ha

Weather is right up there with sports for me. It's the best part of Newscast. Weather effects everything + is fascinating !

Yeah, its crazy to watch the Cyclones rotating in a clock-wise direction in the southern hemisphere; the opposite direction our Hurricanes rotate. Even the toilets flush backwards there. ha

Can you imagine if Katrina rotated the other way?!!!! It would have been MUCH worse for us, that's for sure. Speaking of things the wrong way, I'll end with this... :silly:

Can you imagine if Katrina rotated the other way?!!!! It would have been MUCH worse for us, that's for sure.

Oh man, that would've been bad. We would've had to deal with some of the heaviest rain, strongest winds, and tornadoes and water spouts everywhere. :unsure:

I woke up to clouds and turned on the weather channel. There looked like some pretty intense storms down by you all in Louisiana. Everyone alright?

Yea, I just turned on TWC too and saw what was coming. There is a severe weather warning in place for east Texas all the way through central Louisiana, and it looks like I'm gonna be getting some rain from the outer bands of the storm.

How about you TBurban? It looked like there was some severe weather headed towards Virginia as well.

Yea, I just turned on TWC too and saw what was coming. There is a severe weather warning in place for east Texas all the way through central Louisiana, and it looks like I'm gonna be getting some rain from the outer bands of the storm.

How about you TBurban? It looked like there was some severe weather headed towards Virginia as well.

Yeah, nothing too bad here. A severe thunderstorm watch is up till 8. They said expect hail and strong winds, not too much of a difference from the normal storms we've been having lately. Hope all is well for you all down there today :thumbsup:

Yeah, nothing too bad here. A severe thunderstorm watch is up till 8. They said expect hail and strong winds, not too much of a difference from the normal storms we've been having lately. Hope all is well for you all down there today :thumbsup:

That's good to hear. I haven't heard what to expect here yet, but right now it's just very overcast and the wind is picking up.

Hey Brian, did y'all get any rain up there? It looked like the storms were moving SW, but I didn't know if any of them passed through NW Louisiana.

When I logged off here around 2:00 am, it was thundering and lightning. So I turned on the Weather Scan channel and the radar showed a small storm that was pushing through on the south side of Haughton. When the line of storms came through here, it was mostly a broken line of isolated storms, so aside from that little bit of thunder and lightning, we got nothing in Haughton. I can't speak for Shreveport or Bossier, but Minden looked as though it may have had a storm or two.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Here is what's going on across the country right now. You can see the line of thunderstorms that pushed through Louisiana, though they have gotten quite a bit smaller. Most of the bad stuff in the South is in Houston, North Carolina, and Virginia right now.

us_radar_plus_usen.jpg

map_light_ltst_4namus_enus_600x405.jpg

Nice satelitte pic Nate. How about that HUGE Low-pressure swirl over western Ohio ? All the clouds strech as far North as Quebec/Ontario in Canada, Kansas City to the West. And to the South all the way down to Birmingham and almost Jackson. The eastern side is out in the Atlantic ! It has been STUCK in the Great Lakes Region since last week, it really has not moved that much in days ! Did yall see the flooding in New Hamphshire yesterday ?

Today is as nice a weather day you could expect in south La. for the middle of May. Crystal-clear with highs only 79 ! We barely got a sprinkle in BR yesterday. However Severe T-Storms caused power outages in LC and hail with 65 mph wind gust in Eunice.

Edited by richyb83

JUST CRAZY ! One-month ago, on April 16th I started the "Record HIGH" Temps & Drought tread. Now it's May 16th, and we just set a record-LOW Temp.broke in 1973 last night of 51 degrees !! 13-degrees below normal. Another record low could be set tonite. Enjoy it while it last, high's in upper 80's are forecasted by Thursday.

JUST CRAZY ! One-month ago, on April 16th I started the "Record HIGH" Temps & Drought tread. Now it's May 16th, and we just set a record-LOW Temp.broke in 1973 last night of 51 degrees !! 13-degrees below normal. Another record low could be set tonite. Enjoy it while it last, high's in upper 80's are forecasted by Thursday.

It's crazy isn't it! I walked outside in the morning a few days ago and the first thing that popped into my mind was "what he hell!?" as I walked back inside to get a sweatshirt. :blink: The weather around here has been just beautiful lately, though it looks like the perfect temperatures we've been experiencing lately may be moving away.

It looks like Summer is kickin' in, this is about the time of year. The cool snap was nice ! Maybe we could get one more ? Is that asking too much ?

Speaking of Summer, April was one of the warmest on record in BR. The temperature was above normal 26 days; normal for three, and only one day last month was the temp. below normal.

It looks like Summer is kickin' in, this is about the time of year. The cool snap was nice ! Maybe we could get one more ? Is that asking too much ?

Well right now, it looks like we won't be seeing any more cold fronts for quite some time. :(

It's gonna be one hot summer, you can already tell.

A very active Atlantic season looming for 2006.

NOAA is predicting 13 to 16 named storms; 8 to 10 becoming Hurricanes; 4 to 6 becoming "major" Cat.#3 with winds +125 mph.

The average is 11 named storms; 6 becoming Hurricanes; 2 "major"

2005 was a record breaking season with 28 named storms; 15 hurricanes; 7 "major" ! Record-breaking 4 of those hit the U.S.

Warmer ocean waters and lower wind shear are some of the main contributors that could lead to an active Tropics.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/s2634.htm