Louisiana Weather

richyb83

Yesterday was the hottest day of the year with a high temp. of 97. Today I think it's even hotter ! I am drained from playing softball today.

I can imagine, I was out playing football this morning, and it was very bad even at 10am. The humidity sucks today, when you go outside the air is so dense that it literally feels like you have weights resting on top of you.

Wow, I just realized something very cool. It looks like the weather channel's temperature maps update themselves even when you post them on other websites. I posted those maps at 12:30, but the temps on the map have changed, and they were last updated at 4:13 and 4:07 central time. Very cool! :D

Weird, maybe it's the way you posted it. I know I've posted one before and it didn't change but I bet it's because of the way I posted it. I wonder how long it will stay updated like that.

Yea that might be it. I just copied the image location and wrapped the code in IMG tags. The maps have updated again and the temperatures changed, so they are obviously being updated constantly. I think that's pretty awesome, maybe just because I wasn't expecting it.

Anyway, at 12:30 New Orleans' heat index was at 91, and Shreveport's was at 92, since then the index has increased by one degree in NOLA, and is now up to 99 in Shreveport. Looks like your getting pretty much the same temperatures in NWA as I'm getting in New Orleans, Rod.

Yea that might be it. I just copied the image location and wrapped the code in IMG tags. The maps have updated again and the temperatures changed, so they are obviously being updated constantly. I think that's pretty awesome, maybe just because I wasn't expecting it.

Anyway, at 12:30 New Orleans' heat index was at 91, and Shreveport's was at 92, since then the index has increased by one degree in NOLA, and is now up to 99 in Shreveport. Looks like your getting pretty much the same temperatures in NWA as I'm getting in New Orleans, Rod.

Yeah, it isn't the first day we've hit the 90's but we haven't had many so far. They were predicting today to be the hottest we've had so far. I think our predicted high was 94. I'm just glad we always manage to stay cooler than Oklahome to the west of us. It always seems so much hotter over there.

When you look at maps like this, it's always been so weird for me to look up and see parts of New York barely even hitting 50 degrees. We're down here getting closer and closer to 100 throughout many parts of the south, meanwhile they're up there barely even in the 50's. ;)

When you look at maps like this, it's always been so weird for me to look up and see parts of New York barely even hitting 50 degrees. We're down here getting closer and closer to 100 throughout many parts of the south, meanwhile they're up there barely even in the 50's. ;)

Another interesting weather incident that I always thought was weird is the big temperature difference between Phoenix and Flagstaff. Even though if you look on the map they aren't too far away from each other. But often times there's a 30 degree difference between the two.

Another interesting weather incident that I always thought was weird is the big temperature difference between Phoenix and Flagstaff. Even though if you look on the map they aren't too far away from each other. But often times there's a 30 degree difference between the two.

I know I've seen maps where Phoenix was around 110, and Flagstaff was in the mid 80's. I've thought that was pretty interesting too.

I know I've seen maps where Phoenix was around 110, and Flagstaff was in the mid 80's. I've thought that was pretty interesting too.

Flagstaff has elevation of course. But I've also noticed that it seems to stay cooler a lot of times than places in New Mexico that's just as high up in elevation. It has something to do with an effect with the winds as well. The air gets condensed quite a bit going from such low elevation from the south to suddenly higher elevation. I don't understand this completely but I guess it's a little like a naturally occuring air conditioner in a sense.

Man would it be nice to have that around here sometimes! ;)

:lol: I can't complain too much. Parts of NWA sometimes gets a little of this effect. Although it's certainly nothing major. It also tends to work out the wrong way making it cooler in the wintertime with winds coming from the north heading to the south to the highest parts of the Ozarks.

Another scorcher ! Today BR tied record high with 98 degrees. The humidity is only 31%.

A few showers have spun-off T.S. Alberto over SE LA and So. Miss. It's actually getting cloudy.

Yea today was a very hot one. It was already 85 degrees in New Orleans at 7:30am! Though Covington got one of those quick and random summer showers at around 3:30 where it rained for about 10 minutes with the sun still shining. It was just enough rain to cool things off a bit, which was nice.

Correction on my post. BR broke a record with a high temp of 99 !

The rain shower miss us, only a clap of thunder. I'm glad Covington got a little rain.Wow 85 at 7:30 am is nasty. Did you notice the showers are moving from NE to SW around the circulation of Alberto ? A frontal boundry that went thru B'ham is causing some nasty weather too, those T-Storms look-like they are about to become part of Alberto's circulation.

Edited by richyb83

My power was out for about an hour after a pretty large storm rolled through Covington at around 7:00. The rainfall was pretty heavy, but the winds were really gusting. It was another very necessary shower.

Sorry about the storm. My power went out sometime during the day today, but it was sunny and mostly clear all day... not a storm in sight. Sometimes I hate this little town. I've lived here less than 9 months now and I can't count the number of times my power has gone out, including on normal, clear days.

You can think that rain from a combination of a weak cold front and Alberto providing enough midlevel moisture to fire off a few thunderstorms. Guess I should have higher than 20% for areal coverage.

It was 99 in Slidell today. We rarely get this warm. We are also now in a severe drought on the Northshore and an extreme drought on the Southshore.

It was 99 in Slidell today. We rarely get this warm. We are also now in a severe drought on the Northshore and an extreme drought on the Southshore.

Yea it's bad up here on the Northshore. Especially here in Western Saint Tammany, where most of the area is rural once you get outside of Covington/Mandeville. There have been multiple brush fires set ablaze recently after people just didn't pay attention to their debris fires. I know you guys are having the same problems over in EST. It seems like we just have to hope for some strong afternoon summer showers to roll through frequently, but it doesn't seem like that will be happening anytime soon.

Yeah, its ridiculously dry ! I hardly ever water the yard, even when many are watering theirs. But I actually watered the grass last Fri. and need to water it some more tonight.

They are saying it will be dry the next few days. They say 20% Friday, 30% Sat. and Sunday 30-40%. That would be nice !

It was actually kind of nice around here. Only 93 here with low humidity and nice breezes. Thats the frontal boundry that kept it in the 70's yesterday in Mith's area, Arkansas.

Edited by richyb83

Yeah...I'm the fire wx focal point at the office...so I get to know about all of the fires we are having. We usually let the guys know what the winds and humidity are doing so they can plan ahead. We had one at Camp Villere the other day that got way too close to my neighborhood. I could see the flames in the distance from my backyard.