Which OTP CID has the most potential?

Hybrid0NE

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which OTP CID has the most potential?

• Cumberland
    • Gwinnett Place
    • Highway 78 (Snellville)
    • North Fulton
    • Perimeter
    • South Fulton
    • Town Center

I noticed that the Greater Atlanta area has a good concentration of Community Improvement Districts (CID) but which do you think has the most potential to evolve into something better than it's current state? I focused on the OTP ones since Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead CID's are perhaps light-years ahead of the others and excluded Gwinnett Village since it's not finalized. Anyway, discuss...

P.S. Links...

Buckhead

Cumberland

Downtown Atlanta

Gwinnett Place

Gwinnett Village

Highway 78

Midtown

Perimeter

South Fulton

Town Center Area

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And places like Town Center or Snellville arent choking on their own growth? I dont see where a huge influx of Mexicans means the area doesnt have potential. Mexicans and other Latin Americans are more likely to be pedestrians than whites or blacks so this could be a great thing. Build places like Plaza Santa Fe at street level...get rid of some of the big boxes in favor of mixed use developments, build mixed income housing, and the area could be wonderful.

Agreed - I don't see any reason to make any, even if it's non-intentional, racially / ethnically motivated comments. Besides, the Gwinnett Place area was already going downhill before any large number of Latinos showed up. On the other hand, north of Gwinnett Place towards Lawrenceville - connecting to the 316 tech corridor, the edgeless city has grown dramatically, even with exposure to Hispanics.

But good topic - I think the edge city that has the greatest chance of diversifing into a reasonably pedestrian accessible mixed use area is the Perimeter edge city.

I would say Perimeter first, with Cumberland a close second. They have come into their own as defined urban centers and they have a lot of positive momentum. I also think their proximity to the city of Atlanta is a major plus -- many people still want to access the city's airport, its sports, dining and entertainment venues, its private schools, government buildings, cultural institutions, universities, etc.

Alpharetta feels more diffuse to me but maybe that's just because I'm less familiar with the area. It's certainly got the high end demographics. It also has the best public schools in the metro area, and that has to be a major draw for families.

I would say Perimeter Center as well. It is the only one listed (OTP) that has access to not one but three heavy rail transit lines. It also has probably the metro's second best shopping and dining (outside of Buckhead) and it is evolving to include more residents in the area. I definitely have a soft spot for the Perimeter Center area. :blush:

Archived