Eastern Wake Co

willrusso

The gently rolling terrain in Eastern Wake County which used to be farmland seems to be ripe for development. The completion of the new 64 bypass is the catalyst. Developers are planning a 4000 home development just off the bypass which could mean a 200% increase in Wendell's current population. The available land has already been annexed and sewer line construction will begin this fall. This project has been described as the "Brier Creek" of eastern Wake.

Full N&O article can be read here:

http://www.newsobserver.com/125/story/429830.html

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I guess that's the worle we live in. Sprawl is here stay for a while. It's not that bad, cause hey this is one of the fastest growing counties in the US. So it's expected. Now who wants to bring in a 10,000 home development?

I don't think it will be long before you see a 10K home development. It could be the start of a new town

The big buggaboo I have with this is that it will add, what, 8,000 students to that area and additional strain on the water and sewer lines, which is fine if those 24,000 people moving in will pay for all of those marginal expenses, but NO, we all will have to.

I'm getting pretty peeved about this school issue. If it weren't for these new residents, we wouldn't have to be building the new schools. (Don't get me wrong, I want both) So THEY should pay for them! Marginal demand should pay for marginal supply!

If one is going to argue for the rights of the property owner developing the housing area, why can't that same argument be held for those of us property owners having to finance that property's redevelopment? In other words, while property owners rights are great, they shouldn't introduce an extraordinary burden on other property owners :angry:

It's likely to see development sprawl over to West Nash & Franklin, but mainly most of the development grow more south to Central Harnett, Johnston, Lee, & too central Chatham. The fastest growing of them all would probably be Harnett (with raleigh to the north, Fayetteville to the south & Fort Bragg to the West).

The big buggaboo I have with this is that it will add, what, 8,000 students to that area and additional strain on the water and sewer lines, which is fine if those 24,000 people moving in will pay for all of those marginal expenses, but NO, we all will have to.

I'm getting pretty peeved about this school issue. If it weren't for these new residents, we wouldn't have to be building the new schools. (Don't get me wrong, I want both) So THEY should pay for them! Marginal demand should pay for marginal supply!

If one is going to argue for the rights of the property owner developing the housing area, why can't that same argument be held for those of us property owners having to finance that property's redevelopment? In other words, while property owners rights are great, they shouldn't introduce an extraordinary burden on other property owners :angry:

Ahhh...someone who appreciates the law of economics as much as I do :)

I absolutely agree with your entire post. It baffles me beyond belief that marginal demand and supply can not sufficiently meet the new burden of needs placed on the existing infrastructure. I understand that there might be some nominal increases that will get spread amongst everyone, but the new school bond proposal is unbelievable! New residents moving in should equate into new tax revenues. These new tax revenues should be enough to carry the costs associated with the benefits that new residents will be recieving from the county. Sure, it may initially fall short to pay for the immediate costs of building new schools, but that is why a bond is spread out over a period of years. They can then finance the outstanding obligation with the new tax revenues coming in. Throw in some impact fees from these developers building all over the dang place and the rest of us won't have to shoulder the weight of the newcomers and inefficiencies of the county.

I guarantee everyone here that if the new school bond passes, the school board will come back in a few years and say they still do not have enough money to meet their current obligations. Education is very important to me, but I just do not agree with the way our tax money is being managed and the continual onslaught of reckless, sprawling development in our county.

The gently rolling terrain in Eastern Wake County which used to be farmland seems to be ripe for development. The completion of the new 64 bypass is the catalyst. Developers are planning a 4000 home development just off the bypass which could mean a 200% increase in Wendell's current population. The available land has already been annexed and sewer line construction will begin this fall. This project has been described as the "Brier Creek" of eastern Wake.

Full N&O article can be read here:

http://www.newsobserver.com/125/story/429830.html

They are finished with the 64 bypass?? I hope not, because the clover leaf part of it over the beltline is an eyesore! It looks so cheap. The sides are all rusty looking...lol. Raleigh tries very hard not to look like a big city.

About sprawl heading out to Wilson. I drive from Raleigh to extreme eastern Wilson co. all the time...its only 45 minutes from the beltline. Western Wilson co is only 30 minutes from the beltline. I would think the driving time for people in western wilson co would be the same as people from southern Wake and northern Harnett counties driving to RTP. Don't you think?? Also, the outer outer beltline will get people from Wilson to North Raleigh and RTP even quicker. Wilson is in for a huge population explosion over the next 20 years...mark my words. Wilson is also closer to Raleigh than Rocky Mount and Goldsboro.

This is a great post, and these are very valid points. Impact fees, anyone?

That's the price we pay for living in a wonderful growing city. It doesn't really bother me though. The folks moving in have to pay for the residents currently staying here, so....

The folks moving in have to pay for the residents currently staying here, so....

Now how exactly does this work? In the example of schools, the school board has plainly stated that growth exceeding projections is the reason for massive capital expenses and the need to throw most of the system into year round schooling.

Is there a *Wake County* impact fee? Or does each city do whatever it wants and the county only gets its part of property taxes? Raleigh's has been stagnant since the 80s, while Cary's rised as it needed to be. Since schools are a county, not city, issue, why isn't there a "county impact fee"?

Property taxes in and of themselves aren't enough. How can property taxes alone be expected to foot the bill for the one time costs -- road network expansion, school construction, park creation *AND* recurring costs -- road maintenance, school staffing and operation, park maintenance. They can not, and that is why we are in trouble now. The "it will pay for itself" philosophy has been proven wrong. The home builders' assocation needs to realize that people move here because of the quality of *life* the area offers, not the quality (or lack thereof) of their housing stock. Fee-free sprawl will make 4,000 home complexes impossible to do in the next few years unless WC public school system starts using distance education to replace trailers.

Raleigh is now seeing what Mecklenburg county has been going though.

We have been adding new schools every year, sometimes 2 high schools in one year. I have lived in Charlotte since 1985.

7 new High schools have been built, and CMS needs for 2 more now. Middle and elementary schools I have lost count.

CMS now has 126,903 student this year and has 150 schools.

The cost to built and staff these schools will put Wake county in a catch-up mode. 4,000 to 10, 000 house projects will put Wake in the bond market for a long time. Wake is known for a good school system, but out of control growth all over the county will put pressure on property taxes to go up and the quality of education could go down.

The problem is finding teachers to staff the schools is going to get harder every year as you expand your schools.

CMS has a hard time getting enough teachers in place before school starts.

LOL Wake

I have a grand'daughter who will be in Wake County Schools in a few years.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wendell Falls development is going mixed-use in Eastern Wake Co. That developer is insane if he thinks it's 12 minutes from downtown. Anyway, let's hope it's closer to North Hills than Brier Creek... I'm not holding my breath.

Google Map

EDIT: A qick google search yielded the master plan... although I suppose this doesn't reflect the new larger mixed use zone.

I still doubt that this will be a truly "mixed use" development like North Hills. More likely, we're going to see another Brier Creek, a massive development with lots of surface parking, and "Retail over here, Residents over there" separated by 15 foot berms and 45mph arterials.

I still doubt that this will be a truly "mixed use" development like North Hills. More likely, we're going to see another Brier Creek, a massive development with lots of surface parking, and "Retail over here, Residents over there" separated by 15 foot berms and 45mph arterials.

Archived