Westgate Watcher

Spartan

This will be a thread for news relating to Westgate Mall (modeled after the Columbia Place Watcher in the Columbia section)...

Westgate is getting two new tennants:

"This month, women's wear retailer LUBI opened in the Belk wing in a spot formerly occupied by B. Moss. And Today's Man opened near Bed Bath & Beyond, in the former Atlanta Bread Company spot that was later briefly occupied by Wilson Leather."

article

The mall had a 17% vacancy rate in February (largely because of the loss of Proffits). The HJ said that CostCo was looking at that spot. Fortunately that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I don't like the idea of a wholesale food store in the mall. I think that shows signs of a dying mall, which I don't think that Westgate is.

Thanks for the new thread. I hope the men's store pulls more foot traffic to that area of the mall. To me, Sears is just not a huge draw to go walk around and check out. Most people who want something from Sears park right outside, go in and buy it and come out. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of incentive to walk to Sears from the other stores in the middle of the mall.

Think about Concord Mills mall. You have major entrances, but you have to walk a lot to get to most stores, which encourages stopping by the smaller inside areas. While I don't think that the anchors should close up there doors, Wesgate does need to do more to invite people into the main mall entrances.

The HJ said that Costco was looking at that spot. Fortunately that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I don't like the idea of a wholesale food store in the mall. I think that shows signs of a dying mall, which I don't think that Westgate is.
There is a mall in Fredericksburg, Va. with a Costco attached (on an old Montgomery Ward site). That mall is thriving and expanding actaually.

I don't think Westgate is dying but do think that the mall needs to fill the Proffits space ASAP. I also think the popularity and easy access of Dorman Center is hurting Westgate.

I agree. With all of the big stores except target moving to the Blackstock Rd corridor, the frustration of having to go to 4 separate locations for every store is minimized because they are on the same road (sorta).

There is a mall in Fredericksburg, Va. with a Costco attached (on an old Montgomery Ward site). That mall is thriving and expanding actaually.

Well, that may work for Fredricksburg- but I still think that the mall could do better than a Costco. What stores do you think Spartanburg could support?

• 2 weeks later...

Right... I didn't mean move from Greenville. Just move in to the area :)

Apple Store!! WOW, you guys are always one step ahead of me.. I was coming here to get some opinions about Apple in Westgate. I have recently become an authorized Apple Reseller and a business partner and I are considering a retail store in Westgate Mall. With Vista being delayed, and Apple at least 12-24 months away from launching a Greenville store, I think now is a good time. Plus, Apple is hoping to cash in big time this holiday season, hence the new marketing campaign. So, do you guys think we can sell enough $1299 iMacs to cover our expenses?? What would you like to see in a independent Apple retail store?? We plan to carry other gadgets too.. any good store names??

Well, I have a bias.... so keep that in mind. But I would love to see an actual Apple Store, but even a store that sells Apple products would be a major step forward for Spartanburg. I don't like driving to CompUSA in Greenville or the Apple Store in Charlotte. I don't feel comfortable giving business advice, so all I can say is that I would definately go there.

I'd recommend looking at the locations Apple has for its retail stores- most are in high-end malls in larger cities. Why doesn't Apple have any in more mid-tier malls in smaller cities?

oh, believe me, I am very familiar with Apple's retail operations. In fact, I have visited about 30 of their stores including the mega stores in NY and Chicago. I don't think we'll ever see an Apple store in Spartanburg. At least it's not on their "roadmap" for now and probably won't be. They are looking at Greenville but it's not happening this year.

Article: Costco to add WestGate location

Spartanburg Herald-Journal (SC)

2006/5/15

The former Profitt's will be razed to make way for upstate South Carolina's second Costco. The upscale wholesale club will open a freestanding location in the space.

Costco announced a few months ago it will be anchoring the Greenville Mall site with Rooms To Go and the unofficially announced Bass Pro Shops.

I was hoping JCPenney would take advantage of the vacated Profitt's and use its current location to be renovated like the old Upton's was for Bed, Bath & Beyond and Dick's Sporting Goods. It is still good to have a competitor against Sam's.