Zoning approved for a new Super Target on Alpine

grrwymg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like Target is trying to keep up w/ the Jones' a la Wal-Mart and want to redo their site on Alpine Ave. and turn it into a Super Target.

Does Alpine need another "Super" store? Yeesh.

And we had a whole thread devoted to how bad the M-6 / Kalamazoo corridor is. Alpine is a hideous abomination to any sort of development planning as it is now. Now we are going to expand to a Super Walmart and a Super Target on top of it?

Mmmmmm, I love the smell of 6 lanes of car exhaust backed up at all the traffic lights on Alpine in the morning...

And the evening...

And the middle of the day...

:sick:

I don't know if Alpine TWP would allow further expansion on that lot, If I were a betting man, I'd say people are starting to look north for expansion on Alpine. But i'm not there anymore so who knows.

and in hindsight I realize that Target is still walker, but I still question if they could expand onto that north lot.

I don't know if Alpine TWP would allow further expansion on that lot, If I were a betting man, I'd say people are starting to look north for expansion on Alpine. But i'm not there anymore so who knows.

and in hindsight I realize that Target is still walker, but I still question if they could expand onto that north lot.

IIRC, it was the Alpine Twp board that voted to rezone a parcel of land - I missed which one, though - so it appears that Target would be relcating on Alpine, as MJLO stated - the current store is in Walker.

I don't see any news sites having this tidbit of information anywhere - maybe tomorrow?

no, they approved the walmart, I don't think any relocation plans have been made for target yet. I was just speculating that if they did make a super target, they prolly wouldn't be able to do it on that current spot, not enough room to expand. Someone in the know should say. I'm prolly the least in the know person on this site.

That's M. London-esque...

Well its true :P If Walker told Target no, you cant build your store in our town, because we wont rezone the area because of something like section 8, paragraph 23, sentence 9 of the Walker traffic code, then Target can't do anything but pout, and go back home.

Well its true :P If Walker told Target no, you cant build your store in our town, because we wont rezone the area because of something like section 8, paragraph 23, sentence 9 of the Walker traffic code, then Target can't do anything but pout, and go back home.

...or head up the street to the other side of the City/Twp line, where the zoning admin is likely to be part time and the municipal code might be much more lenient.

There's a reason Sam located all his places at highway interchanges just outside the city limits.

(Not intending to imply anything about Alpine Twp. I used to work with Brendie.)

...or head up the street to the other side of the City/Twp line, where the zoning admin is likely to be part time and the municipal code might be much more lenient.

There's a reason Sam located all his places at highway interchanges just outside the city limits.

(Not intending to imply anything about Alpine Twp. I used to work with Brendie.)

or theres that option :P

although how much of Alpine Ave. does Alpine Twp cover before it turns into Sparta?

My daughter works part time at Target and they are already talking about this. She did talk about them expanding to the South. She didn't say anything in particular about groceries, but she has talked about the store expanding.

Alpine Avenue is already an eyesore south of three mile. Super Target and Super Walmart will definitely not make anyone at Meijer happy. I live a couple blocks from the Alpine Meijer and I drive to other Meijers to shop. That hole won't survive any local competition.

Walker might be well advised to okaythe target expansion and catch some of the people migrating North from Meijer before their money gets North of the city limits.

Or appeal to the ZBA, and if they get denied there, they could (depending on the circumstances) sue the City. Generally, a city needs a good reason to deny a request. They can't just say "well, we don't like target, so y'all can go f yourselves."

This would be the first Super Target in Michigan, I think.

The Target on 28th and Cascade is a Super Target, its just missing the produce, which they plan on adding later. It was a first for Michigan, and more of a test store. It's still considered a Super Target as far as corp. is concerned.

I don't really care what goes up on Alpine Ave anymore. That road is such a mess and I avoid it as much as possible, since drive down it makes me sick :sick: . It could be a case study in how NOT to design a streetscape.

i completely agree. and i find it disorienting for some reason... maybe because i am so used to going east/west on 28th street and i get confused. driving makes me simple minded... :whistling:

Archived