Zoning approved for a new Super Target on Alpine

grrwymg

Is light rail an issue when the destination is a grocery store or department store like Meijer, Walmart, or Target? I can't imagine anyone waiting for the train to go back to their car with a gallon of ice cream, 128 oz jug of Tide and the 12 double rolls of Charmin.

I visited Chicago a few times and stayed downtown. I always have wondered what people living in the high rises and taking the train or walking do when they grocery shop or buy large items.

I see the rail as getting you back and forth to work and entertainment, not really to go back and forth to shop.

I mentioned this before in another thread (I think)..., living DT Chicago is much different than DT GR. You walk out of necessity in DT Chicago. It's simply the way of life.

When I lived DT Chicago, I walked to Jewel about the equivilant of walking from the Calder to The Bob. It was really easy to complain when it was 20 degrees or 90 degrees. But it was a fact of life. I didn't complain when I walked to Oak St Beach. I didn't complain when I walked to Water Tower Place. Or most any other place for that matter.

Maybe once a month, I'd drive to Skokie and hit the Warehouse Club and Target (and yes, even Jewel) in the middle of strip-mall-land.

In DT GR, doing business in the GR City Bldg, you park in the ramp at the City Bldg. After that, a beer and a game of pool at the Bob, you park in the ramp across the street. Almost always an empty spot, and at $0.90 an hour, no problem! Ya drive! (unless you live in Plaza Towers, then you're a lazy @$$)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is covered, because it is considered freedom of expression. What differes with the two mediums is the business side of it. because Strip clubs and the like are offered under "entertainment" free speech protects that, but shopping at Target is not considered "entertainment" it is considered a busniness transaction (regardless if you have haivng fun running up your debt at a store, the government will never consider what you are doing "entertainment")

Well, w/out getting into a huge argument here, if you read the First Amendment, as quoted verbatim below, it amazes me how lawyers are able to contrive strip clubs as a freedom of "speech". Please. Give me a break.

*Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.*

Sunlover, freedom to peaceably assemble, and the freedom of speech... Speech as in expression.

Don't blame this on the lawyers... Who decides whether this is a consitutional decision? A Judge.

judges don't rule without the rheortic of lawyers . . .and who brings the suit in the first place? Judges may make the final call but lawyers are still involved . . . whose to say I am not one?

I don't get why these Meijer's are classified in such manner?

I understand why people use the term "Ghetto Meijer" and it really upsets me. I love going to that Meijer as a way to escape the monotony of all the other Meijer's. Sure, it's a little more dirty, cramped, and disorganized than the others, but it was also the first of their stores (I think) to incorporate the all-in-one shopping expericence. I've never felt unsafe or out of my element while shopping there.

I've heard people make unpleasant remarks about the "diversity" of the people who shop there. I love the diversity. I've never seen so many different races/ethnicities/income groups in any other big box store as compared to the "Ghetto Meijer".

To me, the Meijer at K-zoo/28th st. is an example of what we want our urban experience to be like; the mixing of races and income groups, a little gritty but interesting as well.

I understand why people use the term "Ghetto Meijer" and it really upsets me. I love going to that Meijer as a way to escape the monotony of all the other Meijer's. Sure, it's a little more dirty, cramped, and disorganized than the others, but it was also the first of their stores (I think) to incorporate the all-in-one shopping expericence. I've never felt unsafe or out of my element while shopping there.

I've heard people make unpleasant remarks about the "diversity" of the people who shop there. I love the diversity. I've never seen so many different races/ethnicities/income groups in any other big box store as compared to the "Ghetto Meijer".

To me, the Meijer at K-zoo/28th st. is an example of what we want our urban experience to be like; the mixing of races and income groups, a little gritty but interesting as well.

I actually feel safter at the Kzoo 28th meijer then I do in the Alpine one, only because I know the Alpine one only had one security person there at any given shift.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Also, the kzoo meijer is the least "ghetto" if we are being fair to the term. It's frequented by a diverse group of races and classes, not one low income race. I friggin hate it when people call it "ghetto meijer's"

Juvenile <_<

I'm not making any friends here, I know, but it needs to be said.

Well not to try and bait anyone, but I believe the reason it is referred to as such, has less to do with the people who frequent it, and more to do with the condition of the property.

I could not agree more. It is the least updated Meijer there is . . . .clientle aside, I simply hate that Meijer b/c of the way it is laid out and it is old & grubby .. .kind of like the D & W on 4 Mile & Alpine . . .ICK

I could not agree more. It is the least updated Meijer there is . . . .clientle aside, I simply hate that Meijer b/c of the way it is laid out and it is old & grubby .. .kind of like the D & W on 4 Mile & Alpine . . .ICK

Way back in the day that used to be a "Famiy Foods". That store is a bit grubby. Was grubby way back then, too. I think it was the lighting. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been to the 28th and K'zoo Meijer as well as the Alpine Meijer. Yes I do have to say that they are a bit rough around the edges. Infact I preffer call the "Ghetto" Meijer the "Blade Runner" Meijer for all the security cams and T.V.'s mounted everywhere thoughout the store. But there is a kind of a melting pot of races and walks of life happening in these stores that I like. I've also been to a Wal-Mart supercenter. If any one thinks that the two old Meijer stores mentioned here are rough around the edges, step foot into a Wal-Mart Super Center. Wolly World would make even the oldest shabiest Meijer store look like a golden palace when it comes to being grungy and shaby. As for Super-Target. I've never been to one but I hear it is a decent place and far better at keeping things clean than Wal-Mart but I don't think it is as good as Meijer's latest batch of stores (I.e. the Standale Meijer on M-45 and M-11 and the Kenwood Meijer at M-6 and K'zoo.)

Now my response to the Alpine Wal-Mart that is attempting to go super center is this. I'm sure that Meijer is not looking at the prospect of their old Alpine store going head to head with a brand new Wal-Mart and a possible Super Target without some kind of countermove up their sleeves. A case in point would be a the Ionia Meijer store which was about two thirds the size of the 28th and K'zoo store. Wal-Mart built a super center less than a half mile away. Meijer countered this by building a mordern and up-to-date store next door to the old one. By the time I visited Ionia Meijer staff were in the process of moving into the new store. Not long after the old store was torn down to make room for parking for the new store. That in mind I suspect a similar fate awaits the old Alpine Meijer. The old store will be torn down to make way for a new one or Meijer may opt to built anew somwhere close by on Alpine.

I've been to the 28th and K'zoo Meijer as well as the Alpine Meijer. Yes I do have to say that they are a bit rough around the edges. Infact I preffer call the "Ghetto" Meijer the "Blade Runner" Meijer for all the security cams and T.V.'s mounted everywhere thoughout the store. But there is a kind of a melting pot of races and walks of life happening in these stores that I like. I've also been to a Wal-Mart supercenter. If any one thinks that the two old Meijer stores mentioned here are rough around the edges, step foot into a Wal-Mart Super Center. Wolly World would make even the oldest shabiest Meijer store look like a golden palace when it comes to being grungy and shaby. As for Super-Target. I've never been to one but I hear it is a decent place and far better at keeping things clean than Wal-Mart but I don't think it is as good as Meijer's latest batch of stores (I.e. the Standale Meijer on M-45 and M-11 and the Kenwood Meijer at M-6 and K'zoo.)

Now my response to the Alpine Wal-Mart that is attempting to go super center is this. I'm sure that Meijer is not looking at the prospect of their old Alpine store going head to head with a brand new Wal-Mart and a possible Super Target without some kind of countermove up their sleeves. A case in point would be a the Ionia Meijer store which was about two thirds the size of the 28th and K'zoo store. Wal-Mart built a super center less than a half mile away. Meijer countered this by building a mordern and up-to-date store next door to the old one. By the time I visited Ionia Meijer staff were in the process of moving into the new store. Not long after the old store was torn down to make room for parking for the new store. That in mind I suspect a similar fate awaits the old Alpine Meijer. The old store will be torn down to make way for a new one or Meijer may opt to built anew somwhere close by on Alpine.

If they build new my guess is it will be on 4 mile. Probably near the Orchard project at Walker and 4 milke

It is somewhat acceptable to add "s" or "'s" to the end of Meijer because it was called "Meijer's" for a long, long time. So, of course, people in the Grand Rapids area (especially those old enough to remember, perhaps 35+) are going to be accustomed to calling it "Meijer's".

meijer_store.jpg

1940s08.jpg

That second photo, I Believe is was the store in Standale on the north east corner of M-45 and M-11. It was closed when Meijer focused on Thrifty Acres. (That's what the Mejier stores where called when they first decided to do all-in-one shopping.) Anyway the Standale Location was a Shop-Rite and badly run down by the time I moved to Walker. Then it became a Ralph's Market for a year or two before shuting down and abandoned. It's still abandoned to this day. However things come full circle as the saying goes. A Year and a half ago the new Standale Meijer, on the opposite corner of the intersection, replaced the ruins of an old deserted Drive-In movie theater.

If they build new my guess is it will be on 4 mile. Probably near the Orchard project at Walker and 4 milke

Personaly I would like to see the Alpine Meijer replaced by a Meijer store carved out of the space at the old Lear Plant. Maybe it could be a "Flagship store" that had bells and whistles no other Meijer store has. Then the rest of the Lear Plant could be coverted into small shops, office space, and maybe some hip loft condos.

Personaly I would like to see the Alpine Meijer replaced by a Meijer store carved out of the space at the old Lear Plant. Maybe it could be a "Flagship store" that had bells and whistles no other Meijer store has. Then the rest of the Lear Plant could be coverted into small shops, office space, and maybe some hip loft condos.

Speaking of Meijer stores carved out of plants. The Meijer store on Plainfield has within it the shell of an old factory that was used to make lighted photograph frames. The frames would illuminate, from behind, photographs of scenic vistas. This factory was built in the early 1950s, I believe, and was occupied by the Meijer grocery store (this is before Thrifty Acres) in about 1960. The remainder of the factory was occupied by an Arlen's Discount Store. Over time, Meijer occupied the entire space and expanded it to a Thrifty Acres.

• 4 weeks later...

We have a new warehouse person in my building, and she says she used to work at this Target. Although the Super-ness upgrade was approved, she says that Corp is backing away from that now, and following an unofficial policy of disinvesting in the location.

Huh.

We have a new warehouse person in my building, and she says she used to work at this Target. Although the Super-ness upgrade was approved, she says that Corp is backing away from that now, and following an unofficial policy of disinvesting in the location.

Huh.

It means "they are going to let it rot" Like whats happened to some of the older Meijer stores.

My guess is Target might be looking at an urban target location somewhere closer in-town.

It means "they are going to let it rot" Like whats happened to some of the older Meijer stores.

My guess is Target might be looking at an urban target location somewhere closer in-town.

I could go for an urban Target in downtown as long as they can incorporate the parking into the building somehow. Most of us would not want to see a "open" lot just for parking.

I could go for an urban Target in downtown as long as they can incorporate the parking into the building somehow. Most of us would not want to see a "open" lot just for parking.

What if Target is looking at the old Lear Plant? It's more than big enough to accomadate a Super Target both in Urban style form or typical Big Box form. Also that location is close enough to DT to attract that crowd. But it doesn't move it too far from its current location to lose its existing customer base. Added to that, being almost directly across the street from an aging Meijer store would but Meijer at a serious disadvantage. It would be either shop at an old worn out store or shop at a nice brand new Target.

Archived