The Metro

sonofaque86

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok...Maybe about 4 or 5 years ago I started hearing everyone call Columbia, Da Metro...Everyone in SC basically knows what the metro is lol...Anybody know how this nick name came along or why everyone says the metro now?

I think it has something to do with the Columbia Metropolitian Airport. I wonder if we called it the Columbia International Airport, would we be called the "Inter" or a combination between Metro and Inter, and make it "Intro". :P

Anyway, I think it's the airport, or at least that's the obvious answer. I doubt it's slang for metropolitian statistical area.

Columbia has been called the metro for the longest. I remember back in middle school columbia was called the metro or the met for short. A lot ofcity names are self explanatory like the A or Atl, or even queen city for charl. I really wonder where the name metro derived from. I very seldom here anyone say columbia anymore.

I've heard the metro every since I was in middle school (mid 80s). Various news articles, etc would refer to the Columbia Metro area (see the paper Metro/Region) and I think the usage stemmed from there.

I've never heard it. Do you mean if you go anywhere in the state and someone asks where you live and you say "the metro" they know where you're talking about? If so I've been living in a vacuum.

I've never heard it. Do you mean if you go anywhere in the state and someone asks where you live and you say "the metro" they know where you're talking about? If so I've been living in a vacuum.

I wouldn't say all that. But anyone who went to any public schooling in columbia from 90 till the present time should know what the metro is :shades:

nowadays you can go to most areas ( in the state) and say you are from the Metro and have it understood where you are from. But I speaking on when I first heard/used the term. I think local usage spread to a poiint that it is commonly acknowledged in most parts of the state....much as Chucktown or The Chuck for Charleston, Sparkle City for Spartanburg or the QC (Queen City) for Charlotte. Its more of a slang usage than anything.

I've lived in Columbia my whole life, and about 4 months ago someone said something about living in "The Metro". I asked where that was, and was told that means Columbia. As I said, I've lived here my whole life, and just recently heard that for the first time.

I've lived in Columbia my whole life, and about 4 months ago someone said something about living in "The Metro". I asked where that was, and was told that means Columbia. As I said, I've lived here my whole life, and just recently heard that for the first time.

Brycola what high school did you attend?

the 'metro' was a new concept to me as of about a year and a half ago. If someone told me they were from the metro, I'd probably have to think a second about what it means. I have never actually heard some say it in conversation. That said, you do hear Sparkle City, G-vegas, Chucktown, Flo-town, etc. frequently.

the 'metro' was a new concept to me as of about a year and a half ago. If someone told me they were from the metro, I'd probably have to think a second about what it means. I have never actually heard some say it in conversation. That said, you do hear Sparkle City, G-vegas, Chucktown, Flo-town, etc. frequently.

I've heard of all the names on your list except G-Vegas?? what's that???

Some Columbia radio station will advertise that they are the number one station in "The Metro". That's where I've heard it for a few years now. I believe Hot 103.9 FM is one.

103.9 is where I heard it first. It's kind of catchy in SC, but I don't think it would hold much merit elsewhere. Every city of a certain size has a metro area, so it's kind of unoriginal.

103.9 is where I heard it first. It's kind of catchy in SC, but I don't think it would hold much merit elsewhere. Every city of a certain size has a metro area, so it's kind of unoriginal.

The only city with a nickname that I have heard is Charleston's The Holy City.

Having grown up in Greenville and having lived here most of the time since, I can say that "The Metro" is totally new to me. I also hadn't heard of "G-vegas" until reading it on UrbanPlanet.org in 2004. So I guess the term isn't well-known everywhere in SC. ^_^

I hadn't heard it before the same timeframe, but I have since heard many people say it, particularly as I get to know more Greenvillians.

The only city with a nickname that I have heard is Charleston's The Holy City.

We're talking about unofficial nicknames. Officially recognized nicknames are quite different...

Spartanburg = The Hub City

Charleston = The Holy City

Florence = The Magic City

Anderson = The Electric City

Columbia = The Capital City

Greenwood = The Emerald City

Greenville = ???? (I have never heard of an official Greenville nickname)

I am certain that other cities like Rock Hill and Myrtle Beach have nicknames too...

I hadn't heard it before the same timeframe, but I have since heard many people say it, particularly as I get to know more Greenvillians.

We're talking about unofficial nicknames. Officially recognized nicknames are quite different...

Spartanburg = The Hub City

Charleston = The Holy City

Florence = The Magic City

Anderson = The Electric City

Columbia = The Capital City

Greenwood = The Emerald City

Greenville = ???? (I have never heard of an official Greenville nickname)

I am certain that other cities like Rock Hill and Myrtle Beach have nicknames too...

Greenville is whatever you want to call it. Greenville: _______________. I can't think of an official one at the moment. :)

Archived