The Club

chasHine

Howdy again,

My interests in the planning and development of this city just keep rising. Would anyone like to setup a day where those of us who want to learn more could take a drive/walk of Denver and discuss just how cool it is?It seems that other cities have started creating clubs that do this after meeting on urbanPlanet.

Does Denver already have one of these groups? If not, let's gauge interest. Maybe DenverInFill could host the first event?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy again,

My interests in the planning and development of this city just keep rising. Would anyone like to setup a day where those of us who want to learn more could take a drive/walk of Denver and discuss just how cool it is?It seems that other cities have started creating clubs that do this after meeting on urbanPlanet.

Does Denver already have one of these groups? If not, let's gauge interest. Maybe DenverInFill could host the first event?

I would be interested in that.

I'm moving to Denver in a week and have been following all the new construction from Nashville on UrbanPlanet and Skyscraperpage. I would really be interested in a forum meet maybe in early May?

Early May works great for me. Would a weekend or weeknight be best? How does the week of May 7 sound to you guys?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I've been in Colorado a few times so I'll see if I can contribute something. I was curious if anyone had noticed quite a bit of southern Colorado seems to have a bit more of a Hispanic influence and also seems to look more towards New Mexico than the rest of Colorado. I know this also applies to areas of west Texas like El Paso that seem to identify more to New Mexico than the rest of their state.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The only place I've ever ran into ridiculously bad traffic in Denver was on I-25 in the tech center pre-the end of T-REX. Sure there's traffic in Denver, but it's to be expected... I've never been to any other large cities so I can't really compare it.

Edited by Front_Range_Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Blizzard stories anyone?

I don't really have any good stories. I've just sat at home listening to the wind all day. Where I live south of Colorado Springs we only got about 6" of snow with some drifts and white out conditions most of the day... definately a blizzard, but not as bad as most of Colorado Springs and the Denver Metro area got.

All of El Paso County has been declared a disaster area and I believe Governor Owens issued a state of emergency and called out the national guard.

The City of Colorado Springs just declared a state of emergency... whatever that means.

The scary part is, the storm hit Denver twice as hard!

Here's a slide show from The Colorado Gazette.

http://www.gazette.com/interactives/blizzard_1220/

Edited by Front_Range_Guy

• 1 month later...

well it's good to see you didn't abandon us. For a minute I thought you got fed up and left. You've done great things in the Colorado Forum, have taken it from the least posted in forum, and have built moementum. It has good potential. I'd hate to see that stop.

I promise to add my usual fluff.

I am moderator over all the west so it's kind of part of my duties, though it's kind of hard for me to get meaningful discussion going when i'm so far away, and don't know much about the areas, and whats going on in general. Anyone who posts in here at this point is welcome though.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I ventured over to SSP today for some reason and noticed how much busier the west was than it is here. The other forums, South, Northeast, and Midwest (Namely Michigan) Blow SSP out of the water. But it's west section is way busier than here, F_R_G, Tuna, what do I gotta do to get people to play at UP, it's way better. I discovered UP first which is why my loyalties are here I guess. I just wonder if there's anything we can do to get the CO people around since we have a whole section dedicated to their state and not just the region it's in.

I don't know... I'm afraid most of the Denver Forumers on SSP are happy there. I still post there regularly because I found SSP first, but I've slowly been switching over to UP because it's friendlier and less hostile here. I'd say go after the political moderates and posters from smaller mountain west cities. Boise and Colorado Springs especially. Maybe Las Vegas. Denver is the big dog in the region and they know it, and they are kinda jerks to everyone else... it's all about politics on SSP... I generally agree with the politics of the people on SSP, but I don't feel the need (for the most part, I'm not completely innocent) to belittle people and tell them their city is completely irrelevent if it isn't super liberal (goodness knows mine isn't) which is pretty much status quo over there.

I will say this... on SSP I spend a lot of time in the skybar and current events sections, which I can't do here without paying... it's kind of a turn off when I can do it for free over there. When you're originally from SSP things like photo limits and paid sections are kind of annoying... but like I said, if someone like me can come to a site like this and post about their city without hearing "doens't matter. focus on the family. you suck. go away" that's worth something. I don't think I want most of the Denver forumers from SSP on here...

I didn't know we had "pay" sections on here. I can say that this site was created in direct opposition to people having that city to city boisterism. All places are created equal, and childish pissing contests are not tolerated even to a small degree on here. The integrity and quality of content on this site will be protected and maintained so you don't have to worry about that ever, know that i'd drop the proverbial hammer.

There have been situations in the past, a big one was the whole "Minneapolis vs. Detroit" confrontation in the midwest, but that's long gone, and since we've gotten even more strict about comparison threads, and superiority complexes. If you need anything from me, or if there is any way I can make things easier let me know. I love it that you all are here. Just tell your CS friends, I'll push for a CS subforum.