The Club

chasHine

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey - I live in the Denver metro area, but tend to spend more time reading, maybe sometimes posting, on the forum of my hometown, Grand Rapids, Michigan. Now those folks love to talk on UP, although I've come to realize those folks from GR love to talk anywhere, anytime. Anyway, why can't we get something up and going like they have, a group of very devoted members, who talk about everything in their metro area (and beyond sometimes). Their favorite topics are downtown or central city development/redevelopment and getting more retail downtown, but they cover a gamut of topics.

I'd love to help build something like that for a Denver forum. Any ideas, inspiration to make that happen? Or does Denver Infill syphon some of that interest away, not that I have anything against that site. I love Denver Infill. :wub:

Maybe I didn't read enough of the posts, but I got the impression those folks are obsessed by how tall a building is or should be. I'd like to get beyond a focus on tall buidlings and talk about a wider set of issues about what makes a good/great community.

Interesting. The cities are so strikingly different, especially in the general ideology, but so similar in their geography.

Not to be too dramatic, but isn't this kind of like the communist/capitalist Cold War thing where two contrasting ideologies (conservative, pro-development versus progressive, conservation) went against each other?

I'm going to be in the Springs for a night early next month (on the way to Boulder, ironically). I'm going to be staying kind of to the north most likely (it's super-cheap) and will be hanging out Downtown a bit. Anything else I should check out while there?

Edited by colin

Interesting. The cities are so strikingly different, especially in the general ideology, but so similar in their geography.

Not to be too dramatic, but isn't this kind of like the communist/capitalist Cold War thing where two contrasting ideologies (conservative, pro-development versus progressive, conservation) went against each other?

I'm going to be in the Springs for a night early next month (on the way to Boulder, ironically). I'm going to be staying kind of to the north most likely (it's super-cheap) and will be hanging out Downtown a bit. Anything else I should check out while there?

Thanks for the advice. I definitely want to stay Downtown, but have to economize on this trip (part of a much larger one) and the place on the north side is just so cheap.

And the coffee shops sound good. I may check out a bar as well. I was planning on a full day (drive in from Las Vegas, NM early in the morning), so hopefully I'll be able to get in some tourist stuff as well as Downtown stuff.

The whole Focus on the Family + Air Force thing always threw me off but I always assumed that there was another side to the town. I think every city is like that. Even here in Tucson we have our Air Force types and then the pseudo-hippies, and never the two shall meet. Even Boulder has their renegade neo-conservatives.

• 1 month later...

What do we have to do to increase traffic a little more so that CO can take off? I'd love to see us have a CO Springs and a Denver subforum. FRG, I'm amazed at the progress we've made here with the work you've done. Mad Props

• 3 weeks later...

I constantly hear "that only happened because of Mayor Makepeace." As if because the mayor who made a project happen is no longer in office somehow deminishes the project. Yes. Makepeace was great. Yes. Rivera is lame. The fact that we have a lame mayor now doesn't make projects that are happening now any less significant.

::rant & rave::

Do you still lurk around here Timbucktuna? Was that your Grand Rapids photo thread on SSP? If so, great shots! From afar, it really seems like GR is one of the countries best kept secrets.

Also, Manitou Springs is offering free parking to anyone who drives a hybrid. Manitou Springs is just west of Colorado Springs, and has managed to complete a pretty extensive makeover of it's downtown in the last couple of years. I'll have to do a photo thread sometime.

Edited by Front_Range_Guy

The Democrats will hold their state convention in Colorado Springs next year.

The Colorado Springs Independent published a pretty good opinion piece on the ongoing fued over water between Colorado Springs and Pueblo. I think everyone in Colorado Springs should read it.

Meanwhile, Colorado Springs seems intent on treating Pueblo as a nuisance, a pest that won't go away. That's why, at a June 5 forum here, someone alleged Colorado Springs had lost its soul. Meanwhile, Pueblo is working to enhance its image, proudly using terms such as "renaissance" and "blue-collar version of Santa Fe."
Edited by Front_Range_Guy

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

This past weekend, someone flipped the switch and spring started. One week ago today we had heavy snow. This morning was truly odd and wonderful. Driving into work at 6:30 this morning I saw the most spectacular lightning show. At 6:30 in the morning! We don't have thunderstorms at 6:30 in the morning in Colorado. It's really unheard of. It was great though. Watching the lightning driving into town, eventually driving into the heavy rain.

It's fair to say we had our first widespread thunderstorm event of the season today. Denver reported flooding that shut down the offramp on I-25 at 6th avenue, the hail piled up so deep that Manitou Springs called out the plows. Manitou recorded nearly 2" of rain today, and Elbert County east of Colorado Springs was under a tornado warning for a time.

I'm a bit of a weather nerd, and I am darn glad to see the winter come to an end.

I planted a couple of plum tree's in backyard this weekend. I think the threat of hard freeze has passed, though I wouldn't be surprised if we get down to 32 one or two more times.