Music City Star Postponed

rocky top buzz

The way I understand it, the Lebanon line was far cheaper to contruct than the Murfreesboro line. Since there is a risk factor involved, it makes economic sense to go first with the cheaper of the two. The fact is that the cost of the Music City Star Lebanon line is extremely low ($3 Million per mile), and for that very reason, this thing has a good chance of success. All it really needs to do is cover maintenance costs, and it's going to make it. For all of you out there that are worried about it's success, please take all of this into consideration. Maybe you won't find yourselves worrying so much.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I understand it, the Lebanon line was far cheaper to contruct than the Murfreesboro line. Since there is a risk factor involved, it makes economic sense to go first with the cheaper of the two. The fact is that the cost of the Music City Star Lebanon line is extremely low ($3 Million per mile), and for that very reason, this thing has a good chance of success. All it really needs to do is cover maintenance costs, and it's going to make it. For all of you out there that are worried about it's success, please take all of this into consideration. Maybe you won't find yourselves worrying so much.

Also, I think some of our 'borocentric posters are underestimating the volume of commuters from Wilson County. I can't put my hands on the estimates right now, but if you look at the commuter pattern map at the Nashville Area Chamber, it is clear that Wilson County sends a fair number of commuters into Nashville each day. Also, the % of county residents leaving the county for work is greater for Wilson than for Rutherford. That, combined with Hank's excellent points, makes me think it will be a success.

Nashville chamber transportation map room

Yes, but clearly Rutherford, Williamson, and Sumner send more! I think the reason that the need for a M'boro line os more clear is that most people on this forum believe that a large number of Rutherford commuters come from the boro.

This map is interesting. Are they saying fewer than 100 people commute from Maury to Davidson?

You gotta consider Interchange City between Nashville and Smyrna. That is a massive complex of offices, factories, and wharehouses. A place that many Nashvillians and Rutherford Cotians (Its Just Dave included) go to work at each day. That was part of my argument for the line to come through here first. All that is between Davidson and Lebanon is just loosely packed single family dwellings and apartment complexes for the most part.

^ They did it that way because they basically were given the track for free all the way to Lebanon, because of that fact this is a very cheap project in the scheme of things. If the the ridership numbers are just nominal it will be used as a working model to push for another better route, probably to Murfreesboro.

Agreed. A route to M'boro has tons of potential.

I also think the Music City star will run on gas right? The ticket prices might go up even higher if gas does. How many Wilson County residents work Downtown and how much does it cost to get to work by car? The RTA will also have to pay insurance, security, and the wages of the train driver(s).

I also think the Music City star will run on gas right? The ticket prices might go up even higher if gas does. How many Wilson County residents work Downtown and how much does it cost to get to work by car? The RTA will also have to pay insurance, security, and the wages of the train driver(s).

Good points. When you consider how much it costs to work by car, you also need to consider how much a train commuter will save in parking, which is far from chump change downtown.

Archived