• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay here we go...

From todays CA

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/...4631987,00.html

And the plans website...

http://www.dpd.duncanplan.com/fbc/main.htm

You can see some renderings on that site by clicking Photo-Realistic Visualizations near the bottom. When was light rail planned to go near Hollywood and Sam Cooper? :blink:

Edit- Never mind. I just read the Full Charrette Report and Master Plan it says:

Page 17

Opportunity for Light Rail

The center median of Sam Cooper Boulevard provides an opportunity

to provide a light rail link entering the study area along Sam

Cooper, and exiting through Overton Park along the traditional

alignment previously occupied by the streetcar line.

Page 34:

There is an opportunity bring light rail through the center of Sam Cooper,

providing access between downtown and the outlying suburbs.

The route could follow the original transit route through Overton Park

to make this connection, then run down the median in Sam Cooper

through the study area.

But where will it go? The CSX line will be pretty close so maybe it'll connect to that line along Sam Cooper. It might service the east side of Overton Park and connect to the Airport line at Overton Square and directly connect Cordova to Downtown.

Interesting. I know very little about this neighborhood outside of what I just read in the plan. So Bears could you fill me, and others, in about this area a little more?

Just by reading on the links it sounds like this is a pretty comprehensive plan to redevelop the area and reverse the area's blight problems. There seems to be alot of great historic structures and streetscapes in that area full of potential.

Interesting. I know very little about this neighborhood outside of what I just read in the plan. So Bears could you fill me, and others, in about this area a little more?

Just by reading on the links it sounds like this is a pretty comprehensive plan to redevelop the area and reverse the area's blight problems. There seems to be alot of great historic structures and streetscapes in that area full of potential.

The area is just to the east of East Parkway, between Poplar on the south and Summer on the North. I don't know too much about it either except that it's centered on Broad Street.

Here's a not-so-good pic of Broad Street:

original.jpg

I was watching Memphis news tonight and a police crackdown called "Operation Blue Crush" was mentioned as being carried out in Binghamton. I found it ironic that I asked about this area earlier then I just out of the blue happened to watch CH 3 News and see a piece on it.

Well as you've probably read in the plan, Binghamton was an industrial suburb. It has alot of manufacturing, textiles, furniture, kitchen utensils, etc. Its kinda a "rust belt" of sorts for the Memphis area. Alot of the plants that are still open don't look very attractive. Nearby, theres Overton Park, Rhodes College, and the WLMT/WPTY TV studios. I think since Rhodes is so close, this area can become even more vibrant than CY. The thing that makes this plan special is that the residents of the neighborhood designed it. It proves Memphians support smart growth, public transportation, and making the neighborhood vibrant instead of wanting to get out ASAP. This area has a density a little under 4000 people/square mile.

Here's the racial make up of Binghamton:

White 37.46%

Black 57.66%

Asian 2.42%

American Indian 2.04%

Other 2.04%

Hispanic 2.88% (I read Memphis has the 5th fastest growing Hispanic pop. in the US a few weeks back)

As you saw on TV, its not the safest area, but I wouldn't say its extremely dangerous either. Operation Blue Crush is good. Last night alone MPD got 315 arrests. Only time will tell if Blue Crush has an effect on overall crime. Maybe we can get that 50% reduction in crime which will probably make us one of the safest cities in the nation. That will make redevelopment in some parts much easier.

I looked over that master plan and it did look good.

What's really impressive about development in Memphis nowadays is the fact that certain leaders have the vision to expand redevelopment throughout the city and not just limit it to the hot spots of South Main, Mud Island, downtown, Midtown, etc., but also to the Uptown area, Lamar Terrace, that depressed area between Poplar and I-40 by the Med Center, and so on. It seems they have a concern for the quality of life in those areas and are attempting real urban renewal on an urban scale.

What made this plan so interesting to me was that other than Summer Ave and Broad Ave, the buildings don't really change much. Its basically growing plants, better sidewalks, and redoing signs. Turning Sam Cooper into a true parkway will be great to see and having a plan in place for future light rail is fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

I completely forgot about the Memphis College of Art. Binghampton might become another artsy district... http://memphis.bizjournals.com/memphis/sto...y1.html?i=38539

According to the article, there are already a number of studios and whatnot in the area. I guess art students have just gotten priced out of Midtown.

Archived