New-look Terrazzo

downtown cliff

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the new rendering and I do not think it was a big change. They squared off the corners to make it more angular and sleek so I like that but the color remains...

This building is really boring. Next to the more-than-adequate Icon, it is going to look like someone had a dry nicotine headache in mid-70s South Beach while drawing this one up.

I know you are all going to hate for that, but it's got to be on the record. This building was obviously designed by somebody who doesn't believe beauty exists.

You know, I never really liked this building... but I have to say, I actually prefered the OLD look... this new one is WAY too boxy.... The other one at least had some softness to it (compared to this one)... but overall... imho, it just needs to be COMPLETELY redone....

I do like the tower, and I think the changes made it better, but there are still things I liked about the old one. I like the glass at the base curving just a little bit, I like all the trees, and the little bit of extra color in it. The new almost seems a little dull, but I like it.

Hey CheerioKid!!!

Thats EXACTLY why I prefer the original... the lower levels (with the glass) were softer.. and the color was better... this new one is just SUPER dull!!! And, as I said before, VERY boxy....

:huh: After a closer look... this new rendering actually makes me LIKE the original!!! This new one has GOT to go!!!!

Hey CheerioKid!!!

Thats EXACTLY why I prefer the original... the lower levels (with the glass) were softer.. and the color was better... this new one is just SUPER dull!!! And, as I said before, VERY boxy....

:huh: After a closer look... this new rendering actually makes me LIKE the original!!! This new one has GOT to go!!!!

It is tragic that the adolescent design ideology of Pure Form coincides perfectly with cheap-ass construction. The curves were not only a violation of the Modernist commitment to the machine that this building is clearly nostalgic for, but also more expensive to construct. The sensual, feminine edges will not be back, and probably were not really intended in the first place.

Ocean-view, anyone? In this case, it's over a parking lot. Deception! This thing looks like a corporate pillbox in some anonymous suburb of Mexico City.

Next to the more-than-adequate Icon, it is going to look like someone had a dry nicotine headache in mid-70s South Beach while drawing this one up.

The South Beach reference is on target. When I first saw it, I immediately had a flash back to a childhood trip to Miami.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad and ugly. We can always put the Bell-south service center back.

It's this sort of diversionary thinking that so frustrates the few designers and architectural historians who bother visiting this site.

No, my friend, you don't have to take the good with the bad and ugly. You don't have to take the good at all. ? I guess what you meant to say was, you have to take the bad and ugly with the good. But again, you are wrong. The only people who have to take anything are gagged and restrained with duct tape and jump ropes on the concrete (or Terazzo!) floor of North Korean "rehabilitation centers." The rest of us have an option.

I, for one, am a citizen, and I demand more from my polis than garbage--much less mock garbage! Your kitschy sarcastic suggestion that Terrazo-haters could just eat the ol' Bellsouth Service Center was ridiculous and insulting. "Love it or leave it"? No...you mean "Love it exactly the way I do or leave it." Sucka, that's just silly. The Service Center sucked (obviously). So does the Terrazo (obviously). Bam.

Cheerleaders of the World, Unite! But put your contacts in, because you Moderns and your uninformed progress worshippers are cheering for the losing team. Terrazo is a step forward for Nashville, alright...a step into more inhumane ugliness and aesthetic-raping historicist Progress Leg-Humping.

I don't get the big deal, some people like it, some people don't. In my case I don't particularly like it, but what I like and dislike is really irrelevant. Its an opinion/preference, not statement of fact. So debating the merits of opinions and preferences on a building's design as being acceptable or unacceptable seems rather mute to me.

It's this sort of diversionary thinking that so frustrates the few designers and architectural historians who bother visiting this site.

You know that for a fact? :rolleyes:

This site is for people who are interested in urban development and want a serious place to discuss whats going on in Nashville, Atlanta, etc. Its for everyone who wants to join and follow the rules set forth by the Administration, if certian folks think its below them, well thats not our issue. This site is growing rapidly in membership, so we must be doing something right, as a lot of people are deciding this is a good place to read about and discuss urban topics.

I, for one, am a citizen, and I demand more from my polis than garbage--much less mock garbage! Your kitschy sarcastic suggestion that Terrazo-haters could just eat the ol' Bellsouth Service Center was ridiculous and insulting. "Love it or leave it"? No...you mean "Love it exactly the way I do or leave it." Sucka, that's just silly. The Service Center sucked (obviously). So does the Terrazo (obviously). Bam.

New Towner [and anyone else] - I'm wondering what your opinions are on the new Bellsouth Service center, which was built on the north end of the gluch. Compared to the old one, I hate it. It looks like a maximum security prison. Drive by and look at the double-chain-link, razor-wire-above-and-below fence, which fronts the streets! It's terrible. I find it sad that sites in the urban core [tho slightly removed] can get such a tacky, suburban treatment.

Cheerleaders of the World, Unite! But put your contacts in, because you Moderns and your uninformed progress worshippers are cheering for the losing team. Terrazo is a step forward for Nashville, alright...a step into more inhumane ugliness and aesthetic-raping historicist Progress Leg-Humping.

Ugh! Fire bad.

Wow, as Rummy would say you are a"nattering nay bob of negativity." :)

Nashville is but a balance of the good and bad, yin and yang, beauty AND progress/growth. To those of us who value both we understand that compromises must be made. Locations such as Charleston (SC) and Savannah (GA) have the beauty but limited growth and progress. In fact they are popular tourist destinations for the very fact that they look the same as they did a century ago. Other cities like Los Angeles and Shanghai have hyper growth but limited beauty.

Based on your posting I would venture that among your favorite large US cities (Architecturally speaking)DC stands head above shoulders; Very dense and very classical. But that combination derives from mostly federal dollars that do not require any spreadsheet v. style/quality/material compromises. In other words few have the luxury of living in a fantasy world populated by bureaucrats and students. BAMO :shades:

Wow, as Rummy would say you are a"nattering nay bob of negativity." :)

Nashville is but a balance of the good and bad, yin and yang, beauty AND progress/growth. To those of us who value both we understand that compromises must be made. Locations such as Charleston (SC) and Savannah (GA) have the beauty but limited growth and progress. In fact they are popular tourist destinations for the very fact that they look the same as they did a century ago. Other cities like Los Angeles and Shanghai have hyper growth but limited beauty.

Based on your posting I would venture that among your favorite large US cities (Architecturally speaking)DC stands head above shoulders; Very dense and very classical. But that combination derives from mostly federal dollars that do not require any spreadsheet v. style/quality/material compromises. In other words few have the luxury of living in a fantasy world populated by bureaucrats and students. BAMO :shades:

I am going to respond to this, but I gotta tell you: just as Bzorch and Cdub did before bailing out, I am finding it difficult to maintain an interest in a "forum" which can't seem to produce, digest, or even excrete design critiques without spewing up a bunch of unrelated nonsense like "take the good with the bad and ugly" or "few have the luxury of living in a fantasy world populated by bureaucrats and students." Every time an articulated design philosophy is expressed, which inevitably contains a set of beliefs and understandings focused on more than Buildings-as-Objects, AKA skyscrapers, the party responsible gets shot down for being overly academic and/or too dedicated. I often hear that quaint little jib about "opinions are like buttholes," etc. Well then, why the hell are we all online telling each other about our buttholes? This is ridiculous.

Here's a little more butthole for you: I got big, bad news. We aren't talking about Jelly Belly Flavors here, we are talking about the long term value and health of our city. If informed and highly-constructed opinions (and I am not suggesting that my own thoughts automatically qualify as either) are rejected because they pick a bloody side, and only general grunts of agreement or qualified agreement are tolerated, then we are all wasting our (employer's) time.

Look, I know that in this world there is a lot of gray mess which is subject to opinion, but on either end of that blurred mess there is a definite right and a definite wrong. If we can all at least agree that Nashville should be a thriving, exciting place that is worthy of respect and affection, which we mostly all do, plain ol' common sense would say that can build on this consensus at least somewhat when talking about specific buildings. Most everyone seems content to just repeat single-serving mini-ideas which more or less amount to "Wow!", or "Awesome!"--and maybe sprinkle a little "Cowabunga!" or "Sweet!" around. Well SORRY, but this is not Urbanity, either in FORM, nor CONTENT. This place is degenerating into a text-based infomercial about Nashville, and I got better things to do than listen to people agree with each other about things they don't want to actually understand.

Now look, Nashville_bound...here it is, plain and simple. Cities from Yemen to Japan, from Argentina to Morocco, from Greece to Canada all possess good things, and bad things. This is also true of people like you and me, families, and everything else in the blasted Known Universe. NO DUH. In my heart of hearts, I truly want to ask you why this means we Nashvillians should accept badness, in the name of Progress or anything else, because it seems ubiquitous--but I won't insult us both by doing so. I'll just say this: trying to have good things is important. Why? Because it's good. Is it all relative? I don't know...tell me this: is there an elderly woman on Earth who can get shot in the head by anti-aircraft fire and then rock a Speak 'n' Spell the very next Tuesday morn? OF COURSE NOT. PEOPLE OF URBAN PLANET, SOME THINGS ARE NOT RELATIVE, AND THESE ARE THE NON-NEGOTIABLES OF GOOD BUILDING, NEIGHBORHOOD AND CITY DESIGN.

Look, not everybody has to be a classicist, just like not everybody has to believe in God. But the machinist progress worship which decanted American cities into the suburbs and so enthralled both the fascists and the communists didn't work, and so it is important for us to go back to the drawing board and rethink the way we build our cities. Actually, we need to go back to the garbage can and retrieve the traditions and common sense design principles that the Bauhaus intentionally and knowingly threw in the trash. The Icon is a compromise between the meaningless rhetoric of the "cutting edge" and the classical principles of design which have produced humane places THE WORLD OVER, throughout ALL OF TIME. The Terazzo is not completely evil, but it fails in so many respects that it should not be built. It is sterile, hostile, angry, and brutal.

We don't have to agree on everything, you nice little peoples, but at least give me ACTUAL REASONS why you disagree with these statements, if you actually do disagree with them, rather than telling me that my posts are too passionate and/or polarized. I am proud to say that I am extremely polarized about Nashville--and when it comes to the future of our city, which we inhereted from our fathers and will pass on to our children, so should you all be. No stodgy syphillic Bauhaus retro-futurist will tell me to keep my demands for common architectural sense to myself, and neither should the people of this so-called Urban Planet.

Archived