New-look Terrazzo

downtown cliff

We don't have to agree on everything, you nice little peoples, but at least give me ACTUAL REASONS why you disagree with these statements, if you actually do disagree with them, rather than telling me that my posts are too passionate and/or polarized. I am proud to say that I am extremely polarized about Nashville--and when it comes to the future of our city, which we inhereted from our fathers and will pass on to our children, so should you all be. No stodgy syphillic Bauhaus retro-futurist will tell me to keep my demands for common architectural sense to myself, and neither should the people of this so-called Urban Planet.

Because people are no longer disposable, which means buildings are no longer affordable to build, therefore new avenues must be explored.

If you would quit being so academic and realize that it is economics that determine a buildings viability first and design second, then you might began to appreciate that Terrazzo being built at least means that 20 acres of forest and farms were temporarily saved. If you pondered it a bit more, you might realize that any acceleration in urban development will force the public and private sector to respond in positive response to urban demands.

Edit** I liked the first rendering better too. :)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, New Towner. I do enjoy reading your posts because I learn a lot from them. (Keep in mind that Modernism is pretty popular up here in Chicago. Some buildings are ok, most are terrible, derivative rip-offs, in my humble opinion). Folks up here are quite passionate about architecture, too, and I think that that is great. My question to you is, what are you looking for people on the forum to do about proposed buildings in Nashville that some of us like or dislike? What practical avenues would you encourage people to take? Here in Chicago, people can gather petitions and harass the alderman if a building is being proposed that they don't like. They may or may not be successful, but those efforts have saved a few grand old buildings and prevented a few monstrosities, although you can't win them all. Another option in Chicago is to get a big showing at a zoning meeting to ask for design changes. I'm not sure what works in Nashville, though, so please provide direction about what you would like us to join you in doing.

@ NewTowner - Again, if this forum is so bad, why do so many people post here? Why is the forum growing? I mean apparently we aren't very competant or stimulating from what you say. I for one don't like the forum or its members being degraded and treated as to lowly to respect because they aren't academic enough or share your views. If you don't like this forum nobody is making you post here. I respect you views, but your attitude is very lacking, and quite honestly I don't care if you post here if you can't be more civil and respectful to other forumers.

Well Newtowner,

I would like to see a perfect world and all the buildings in it built just the way you would like them. That is your opinion. I for one am sick and tired of every thread being turned into a few peoples own personal little agenda. You do have a lot of great things to say but also keep in mind you are using vocabulary and ideas that most of the people on this board know nothing about. Most people here are not students of architecture It would be great if you explain things in simple English but I dont think you are able to do it. This is a forum that expands on the built environment. There is not a lot any of us can do as far as influencing the architecture of certain buildings in this city or any other.

If you would like to discuss certain aspects of architecture or anything else, just start a thread and those intellectual few among us can post till our little heart is content. We all have opinion and we all share them and if you dont like certain opinions here then that is just too bad. Some people on this board have gotten way too serious about things and take every little thing said as an insult. I am sorry you feel that way. I am also sorry that a couple left the forum over a difference of opinion, but that is their decision.

My statement stands, we can put the service center back and have nothing on that corner. I think its great we are having a lot of building activity on that corner and a lot of other corners in Nashville. We may or may not like what is going in but at least something is happening here unlike many places in the country. We are not the ones being judged on that the fact the the building may suck or not. Only time will tell. The difference between me and you is that I dont get as upset over things as you seem to. Again , sorry you feel that way.

NewTowner

I gave a little jibe at best and it was meant to say lighten up not to offend. (Note to self more happy face icons next time).

I am courteous to all on this forum and expect the same. But your attempt to browbeat others gets the best of you many times. It is hard to address your objections in that they are usually so over the top and filled with extraneous analogies that any attempt becomes moot. Intended or not your posts communicate strong condescension.

I like many modern buildings and many classical buildings and I am sure many more buildings that I have no idea what architectural descriptive applies. I know what I like and what I do not like when I see a building but I feel no desire to tear down those that disagree with me. (Read: stop the preaching and enter into a dialogue) Believe it or not many of us living and working and raising a family all in Nashville love this city and want to leave a thriving, growing metropolis to our children.

Your passion regarding architectural design is exponentially greater than mine and I applaud your enthusiasm but for most of us this is a fun diversion from our real priorities. I am not asking you to keep any opinion to yourself (Faust would need help) only pointing out that many of us would appreciate 20 Schemmerhorn

I'm just sitting back and letting all this happen. Academics and I are not close friends any longer other than my interests in some things around me. I'm even somewhat okay with the preaching.

What I'm not comfortable with is my being, or anyone else on this forum being called "nice little peoples." Condescension is, unfortunately, beginning to befit you, and that dilutes your self-professed credentials of being the training master of all us little people. So kindly refrain from such stooping, please.

Sing it Crowe-baby, "I just want to have a little fun before I die." Not a freakin' doctorate.

I'm just sitting back and letting all this happen. Academics and I are not close friends any longer other than my interests in some things around me. I'm even somewhat okay with the preaching.

What I'm not comfortable with is my being, or anyone else on this forum being called "nice little peoples." Condescension is, unfortunately, beginning to befit you, and that dilutes your self-professed credentials of being the training master of all us little people. So kindly refrain from such stooping, please.

Sing it Crowe-baby, "I just want to have a little fun before I die." Not a freakin' doctorate.

I could not have expressed it any better myself. None of us on this forum like to be described as "little peoples." How utterly degrading and rude to all of us you are. I happen to have worked in the field of Engineering for over thirty years, and have a degree for one of the top Engineering schools in the country, Georgia Tech. However, I feel completely belittled ond frankly a bit overwhelmed by your attitude. I always thought that beauty was in the eye of the beholder, and was very subjective. Everyone's thought of beauty is different, and there is likely no human being on this planet that looks at architecture in exactly the same way as you. There is no definite right or wrong when it comes to architecture, IMO. I acknowledge your passion, your intellect, and your training in architecture. But please, lighten up!

See, this is a great arguement for skyscrapers. The more crowded an environment becomes, the greater the probability of conflict and a need to get away. Why not up? :D

OK, so serioulsy, I think this a good example of how urbanplanet and the things we discuss on this forum aren't at the center of our universe (sorry mods). At least they shouldn't be and that how we treat each other has a bigger effect on our city than does our built environments.

Oh great, now I sound like Oprah...not that I....watch Oprah...or anything. :blink:

Geez. Did anyone even read my post?

I'm sorry about the "nice little peoples" thing. I didn't mean it the way it came out.

But geez. My post was about architecture. Does anyone want to talk about architecture?

I do - I asked for your opinion on the new Bellsouth service center.

Geez. Did anyone even read my post?

I'm sorry about the "nice little peoples" thing. I didn't mean it the way it came out.

But geez. My post was about architecture. Does anyone want to talk about architecture?

That is a great subject under the correct thread. You have to remember that 99.8% of the people on this forum are going to have to be educated about a subject you are studying in school. Its unfair to a lot of the people here to talk way above their heads. Start a thread on Nashville architecture and address the concerns you have about what is happening with architecture here or anywhere else. But remember it is a matter of taste and many people do not share the same taste or better yet many dont really care and are excited that a new building is being built where there was once rat filled buildings.

I understand that you want people to explain the reasoning's behind why they like or dislike a building. That is not as simple as it sounds. A response would be it just looks better with no reason why. Its like asking someone why they like Pepsi better than Coke. Or, Rock music vs Country music. One will say it taste better and the other hates it. That may be an extreme simplification but that helps you to understand why some people have the opinions they do.

Just go a little easier on us when we say we dont like or like something. :wacko:

I wish they had an emoticon with a smiley head spinning round and round. :rolleyes:

I do - I asked for your opinion on the new Bellsouth service center.

I am afraid I have not seen the new Bellsouth Service Center...but it sounds like a nightmare. Nothing like something with the ambience of a medium security prison, shoved into an urban setting, to make us all feel cozy and comfy. I don't live in Nashville, so I probably won't be forced to come to my own opinions about what sounds like a lousy and unhelpful building.

Hi, New Towner. I do enjoy reading your posts because I learn a lot from them. (Keep in mind that Modernism is pretty popular up here in Chicago. Some buildings are ok, most are terrible, derivative rip-offs, in my humble opinion). Folks up here are quite passionate about architecture, too, and I think that that is great. My question to you is, what are you looking for people on the forum to do about proposed buildings in Nashville that some of us like or dislike? What practical avenues would you encourage people to take? Here in Chicago, people can gather petitions and harass the alderman if a building is being proposed that they don't like. They may or may not be successful, but those efforts have saved a few grand old buildings and prevented a few monstrosities, although you can't win them all. Another option in Chicago is to get a big showing at a zoning meeting to ask for design changes. I'm not sure what works in Nashville, though, so please provide direction about what you would like us to join you in doing.

Getting change rolled out of a bad design is a difficult, difficult thing to do--even, ha ha, if you are the bad architect in question. In the end, only popular consensus can force a developer to force the architect to make big adjustments. Case in point--the Signature Tower originally included a huge cut-through enabling cars to cross the sidewalk and do pick-ups/drop-offs at the clear expense of Church Street pedestrians. People came to Tony Giarratana's public meeting about the building (and I have to say, Mr. Giarratana recieves my HIGHEST respect and affection for holding this meeting, and he made it about 200x more likely that I will ever buy a unit from him by doing so) and made a big fuss about this cut-through, among other things. I personally talked to the architect at the time, France/Chicago's own Lucien Lagrange (!!), and super-politely and respectfully told him I thought that cut-through was cheezy and lame. He shrugged and agreed that it might be. What else could he do?

Needless to say, there is no more cut-through on the Signature Tower. There is no more Lucien Lagrange, either, but I have no idea why that happened. People can make a difference, and certainly the petition method has a place--but it is preferable, I think, to just create and express a public consensus regarding building projects, and it helps when developers are open to public input (like the amazing, brave Giarratana). In the end, a public realm worthy of respect and affection can only be created by the collective will of grown-ups with high standards and the willingness to be part of a community.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose, ICON would block or partially obscure Terrazzo residents' view of downtown.

In other exciting news, I like the design. I think there is something to be said for how it will relate to the rest of the buildings in the neighborhood. There are many ways to interpret the Gulch's "industrial" motive; therefore, the design should not be so quickly disparaged.

Think on the other buildings in the Gulch. The Laurel House is an odd structure, but I've always thought it was a refreshing contrast to Mercury View. Likewise, Icon differs from those two, and Terrazzo will add even more diversity.

(Would it be OCD of me to mention terrazzo is a singular noun form, not the plural terrazzi? We do that with sandwiches too--panino/panini.)

I drove past there today and a new sign graces the corner. There are also two new bill-boards in the Gulch promoting the Terrazzo. The media blitz is on and I expect this project will do pretty good despite some feelings about the view and the design. Just remember, Location Location, Location

I drove past there today and a new sign graces the corner. There are also two new bill-boards in the Gulch promoting the Terrazzo. The media blitz is on and I expect this project will do pretty good despite some feelings about the view and the design. Just remember, Location Location, Location

I beleive this project is supposed to start in June. I can't wait to see the crane going up. Has they started in earnest on the Icon yet? If not, I know it's imminent.

• 2 weeks later...

No work on the ICON yet, but I would suspect it will start in earnest this next week. The Terrazzo is still on schedule to start in June according to William.

Here's something that supports the Terrazo starting up in June. Here's what I'm pretty sure is the Bidclerk ammouncement for construction bids on the project. The announcement calls for a start of construction in the 2nd Qtr 2006 (June).

Terrazo(?) Announcement on Bidclerk

Hankster I think this is another project, probably one that has already been announced. It lists 70 townhouses and 159 flats but Terazzo will only have 109 condos.

Maybe this is for the second Adelicia Tower (speculation only)

What are some other possibilities?

Here's something that supports the Terrazo starting up in June. Here's what I'm pretty sure is the Bidclerk ammouncement for construction bids on the project. The announcement calls for a start of construction in the 2nd Qtr 2006 (June).

Terrazo(?) Announcement on Bidclerk

Hankster I think this is another project, probably one that has already been announced. It lists 70 townhouses and 159 flats but Terazzo will only have 109 condos.

Maybe this is for the second Adelicia Tower (speculation only)

What are some other possibilities?

Hey NB--Out of courtesy to the person who told me, I'll decline to disclose who mentioned this...But there is a group with a track record considering putting up a fourth condo tower in the gulch. I don't have any journalistic protocols I'm following here, but it just seems like an announcement would be for them to make when they see fit and not for someone like me to tip their hand. I'll be clear that they didn't indicate they had made a final decision to build a fourth tower, but it is something this person's colleagues & investors are looking at carefully based on what the market is doing. :ph34r:

No work on the ICON yet, but I would suspect it will start in earnest this next week. The Terrazzo is still on schedule to start in June according to William.

Work has started. Core drillers are on site and earth has started to be moved there.

As of this weekend of course. May 14th.

• 1 month later...

Archived