New-look Terrazzo

downtown cliff

Duke32, so you think Parent can erect 3 or 4 below grade garage levels plus 14 floors and a roof in 8 months ? Or am I being to too conservative on 3 months for garage excavation ? Considering the contractors lack of high-rise experience and the floor plate changes (retail to office to resdential to PH) interrupting the pouring flow I must be missing something, even if the design is relatively clean.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Parent Company isn't some small mom and pop group with three guys and a shovel. These guys have constructed many buidings of different sizes and have moved rock and dirt before. I dont think there should be a problem with a topping out date of 02/08

I don't think anyone characterized Parent as a "mom and pop" or disparaged them as you seem to have suggested. Rather, we were simply discussing the likelihood that the project could be topped out a year from now.

Many factors can slow the progress of these large projects, including the experience level of the entire project team. To my knowledge, Parent isn't known as a "high-rise" contractor. That doesn't mean they won't perform well on this job but I think it adds an additional element of risk to an already risky feat. By example, The West End, a much smaller 10-story condo off of 31st avenue requiring little excavation is already 15 months into its schedule and is only now nearing top out. Hayes Construction (smallish but no mom and pop) is handling the development and construction of that one.

Clearly, Terrazzo's design and development team is more experienced than Hayes but will they be twice as fast ? It's hard to say but, as happy hour on Friday approaches, here's to seeing them be successful !!

Here are the Icon and Terrazzo on a Google Map. If the addresses are right (300 11th S and 700 12th S) then the views might not be blocked, at least of the BellSouth tower and the right side of downtown. The capitol building might be clipped though.

Update: see my next post....700 11th ave is the ICON sales center, not the building which is going up on the corner

No one has mentioned how close this building is to the interstate. I wonder if you'll hear the constant whirring of traffic out on the western terraces?

Actually those addresses are wrong. Here's a better look:

icon-terrazzo.jpg

So I'm assuming the Terrazzo is on the unfortunate southeastern corner and will have no views at all, really. The marketing is certainly misleading, but if the buyers are doing any research they'll go to the site and see what's going on. Unless it's at 921 Division St, which is what this says (click on the inner loop). In that case the views would be fine.....but I think it's right there on the corner.

I've been looking at the Terrazzo site, the ICON site and google earth. ICON sits slightly lower on the NE corner and yes Terrazzo sits on the SE corner. If you look at the elevations of the ICON, the long dimension runs east to west and is 22 stories with 10 foot ceilings, meaning there is likely a 10'-8" floor to floor height. This should put the main roof level at approximately 234 feet. Terrazzo has four floors plus a mezzanne level of commercial/retail units. With 12' ceilings in those, the floor to floor height should be approx. 12'-8" each. If my math serves me that will be 5 x 12.75=63.75' tall before you start the 10 floors of residential units. The ceiling heights of the residential units are 11'-4" so a floor to floor height of 12' is expected. If you multiply the 12' floor to floor by 9 to get to the floor level of the 15th floor units (no 13th floor) you get another 108 feet of height. Add this to the 64 feet of commercial and the Penthouse floors will be at approximately 172'. ICON appears to be set about 20-30 feet lower than Terrazzo giving the penthouse floor levels the equivalent of a 200' relative height to the ICON. That still leaves a good 30+ feet in height to overcome. I don't see how therefore, that any of the Terrazzo units facing the ICON are going to see anything but a wall, other than an askew view off to the side. Depending on how each building is cocked exactly, I predict that the DT views from Terrazzo will be blocked from the west side of the Capitol to the east side of the Bat Building.

Then there is the Sliver that has been talked about on the Gulch topic line. Mr. Barkley told me it would be 5-7 floors, but the threads here are saying 17. If that 17 is correct, then the west facing Terazzo units will loose a chunk of the view to Music Row/Vandy/Midtown. It seems the only "safe" views are the east facing ones and the south facing ones overlooking I-40.

If you go to the Terrazzo site and look at where the construction fence is, the south face of the building could very well be ON TOP OF the Interstate.

There will be no need to watch Sky 5 for traffic reports from there.... :shok:

I just looked at the terrazzo website and most of those views do seem like they would be blocked by the Icon building. I had to laugh at the selection of downtown photos mixed in with the renders....As if someone who lives in the terrazzo would be spending serious time at the downtonw library/homeless lounge. LOL!!

I just looked at the terrazzo website and most of those views do seem like they would be blocked by the Icon building. I had to laugh at the selection of downtown photos mixed in with the renders....As if someone who lives in the terrazzo would be spending serious time at the downtonw library/homeless lounge. LOL!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Terrazzo site/construction pics....

The base of the crane is set and will be just to the right of the wood in the pic - right hand side about half way down - I failed to capture it in my pic....... excavation is coming along at a rapid pace

http://www.nashvillegrowth.com/WES/terrazo1.jpg

http://www.nashvillegrowth.com/WES/terrazo2.jpg

http://www.nashvillegrowth.com/WES/terrazo3.jpg

Archived