If you had to live in another area of Louisiana...

NCB

I just thought this thread could draw some discussion from everyone on the LA board. If you had to live in a different area of Louisiana than you do now, where would it be? This thread is also definately open to anyone not living in Louisiana, at that point it would just be "If you moved to Louisiana, what area of the state would you want to live in?" :)

For me, If I had to live in another part of the state away from Greater New Orleans, I would probably have to say that area would be NW Louisiana, specifically metro Shreveport-Bossier City. I just really like that area, like the culture, people, food, and it helps that I have family around Dallas and NE Texas, as well as family and property in SW Arkansas. Though Baton Rouge and Lafayette would also be tied for a very close second. I love both of those cities and metro's as well. :D

How about you guys?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just thought this thread could draw some discussion from everyone on the LA board. If you had to live in a different area of Louisiana than you do now, where would it be? This thread is also definately open to anyone not living in Louisiana, at that point it would just be "If you moved to Louisiana, what area of the state would you want to live in?" :)

For me, If I had to live in another part of the state away from Greater New Orleans, I would probably have to say that area would be NW Louisiana, specifically metro Shreveport-Bossier City. I just really like that area, like the culture, people, food, and it helps that I have family around Dallas and NE Texas, as well as family and property in SW Arkansas. Though Baton Rouge and Lafayette would also be tied for a very close second. I love both of those cities and metro's as well. :D

How about you guys?

I would live in New Orleans. By far the most fun, interesting and unique city in America.

I'm with breaux, I'd say hands down it would have to be New Orleans. I love the city and actually have told my wife I could see myself living in the French Quarter.

But I am completely surprised, though pleasantly, that you'd say Shreveport-Bossier. Heck, next time you're up this way I'll buy you a beer... or a coffee... or a Diet Coke, whatever your poison may be. And I mean that!

My company had its annual awards banquet tonight and I was so proud to hear all the kind words from the people from offices all over the south. Everyone had good things to say about the area, including the people who have been coming for the banquet annually for years and have seen how much the area has matured since they started coming. Naturally, I swelled with pride; it made me feel really good to hear such kind words from so many people from areas like Little Rock, Dallas, Houston, northwest Arkansas, the Memphis area, Baton Rouge, and so on.

I'm with breaux, I'd say hands down it would have to be New Orleans. I love the city and actually have told my wife I could see myself living in the French Quarter.

But I am completely surprised, though pleasantly, that you'd say Shreveport-Bossier. Heck, next time you're up this way I'll buy you a beer... or a coffee... or a Diet Coke, whatever your poison may be. And I mean that!

My company had its annual awards banquet tonight and I was so proud to hear all the kind words from the people from offices all over the south. Everyone had good things to say about the area, including the people who have been coming for the banquet annually for years and have seen how much the area has matured since they started coming. Naturally, I swelled with pride; it made me feel really good to hear such kind words from so many people from areas like Little Rock, Dallas, Houston, northwest Arkansas, the Memphis area, Baton Rouge, and so on.

I'll have to hold you up on that offer, Brian!

I know exactly how you feel about hearing kind words about your city and it's progress. It's definately a great feeling, and I'm looking forward to hearing the same things from people coming to New Orleans, 5, 10, or even 50 years from now. :)

Lafayette, no doubt. The people there remind me most of the people in New Orleans. Same lifestyle, great food, etc.. Lafayette also has some great neighborhoods. Just seems like a nice place to live.

Lafayette is definately up there for me as well. I'm actually going over there tommorow to visit some family. It's really a great city. :thumbsup:

I love the city and actually have told my wife I could see myself living in the French Quarter.

Lived there through most of my life, and it's where I grew up. I was always one of the only kid's living in the Quarter, so I knew nearly everyone on Orleans street, and I was actually friends with many of the bellhops at the Bourbon Orleans Hotel growing up. :D Living in the quarter was great. It got a little crazy sometimes, no doubt, but the architecture, history, food, people, activity, and the fact that your within walking distance from nearly anything you could need in New Orleans is just fantastic.

Lived there through most of my life, and it's where I grew up. I was always one of the only kid's living in the Quarter, so I knew nearly everyone on Orleans street, and I was actually friends with many of the bellhops at the Bourbon Orleans Hotel growing up. :D Living in the quarter was great. It got a little crazy sometimes, no doubt, but the architecture, history, food, people, activity, and the fact that your within walking distance from nearly anything you could need in New Orleans is just fantastic.

I was thinking you'd mentioned having grown up in the Quarter. How cool that must have been. I've always been a city boy, so I'd have absolutely loved that. You probably took it for granted somewhat, since it was just your neighborhood, but I bet deep down inside you knew there was something special about living there. It's just an awesome place... I really wish I could have something like that without having to move to New Orleans. Nothing against New Orleans, it's just that I want to have my cake and eat it too! I want the Quarter but I don't want to leave my beloved Port City. But if I ever were to do it, I'm sure I wouldn't want to come back up this way! :rofl:

Sorry I did not reply earlier NCB, thats a really tough decision .

Sometimes I wondered what life may have been like in a smaller town. Louisiana is such an interesting place being so culturally diverse . Pineville or Jennings are really worlds apart. I have family in both places as well as Lafayette, they too might have been an option. There is no real clear choice ? Out of curiousity, a smaller town would have been intresting. But Lafayette gets the edge.

Wow NCB, you were a lucky kid. I would have loved that experience. I was walking around down there the other day with my brother. We came accross this condo for sale on Royal... third floor, looking down Royal with an awesome view of downtown. I'd LOVE to live there.

Wow NCB, you were a lucky kid. I would have loved that experience. I was walking around down there the other day with my brother. We came accross this condo for sale on Royal... third floor, looking down Royal with an awesome view of downtown. I'd LOVE to live there.

He was a lucky kid, that's for sure!

And that third-floor condo looking down Royal would be awesome. Wow.

Sorry I did not reply earlier NCB, thats a really tough decision .

Sometimes I wondered what life may have been like in a smaller town. Louisiana is such an interesting place being so culturally diverse . Pineville or Jennings are really worlds apart. I have family in both places as well as Lafayette, they too might have been an option. There is no real clear choice ? Out of curiousity, a smaller town would have been intresting. But Lafayette gets the edge.

Louisiana has some neat small towns. Around Lafayette I really like Grand Coteau, Abbeville, Breaux Bridge and St. Martinville. I also like St. Francisville and Natchitoches and, suprisingly, Clinton was a nice town as well.

I love having the amenities of the city, but there is something very appealing about great small towns, especially if they're close to a larger city.

Yes I was. And I'm always very proud to tell others that I'm from New Orleans, and more specifically the French Quarter. I've been able to tell this to people in countries all over Europe, and nearly everyone knew exactly what I was talking about.:D

And that third floor condo on Royal, man that would be awesome! Im curious, how much were they asking for it?

Keep dreamin' buddy.

Just kidding... :)

Haha, I don't want to buy it, I probably couldn't buy 1/8 of that condo, but I'm just curious to see how the prices have gone up on some of the condo's in the Quarter. Pre-Katrina the average selling price for a house in the French Quarter was skyrocketing, and those numbers are just being shattered now. Some family friends who lived in the Quarter at the same time we did bought their house there in the late 80's/early 90's for around 180,000, well it's for sale, and guess what they're asking for it......$1.5 million! :shok: And you better believe they'll have some possible buyers. Anyone interested on here? ;)

I'd happily take an apartment in one of the Pontalba Buildings.....The last I heard, the rent on some of them was $12,000 per month. It's probably more now.

Geez...maybe one day I'll be able to say that and be serious! :lol:

I'd happily take an apartment in one of the Pontalba Buildings.....The last I heard, the rent on some of them was $12,000 per month. It's probably more now.

I thought my $1,000/month mortgage payment was some crap. Geez, I can't imagine $12,000/month... and that's rent.

I can't even imagine making enough money to cover a $12,000/month payment. It boggles the mind.

I think that if anyone is paying a rent like that in the French Quarter, it would likely be a corporation. From waht I have heard, many, many buildings in the French Quarter are now owned by varios corporations and used for the purposes of housing their executives and visitors. I'd also heard that there was a movement afoot to stop this sort of acquisition, but I'm not sure how one would go about that.

I think that if anyone is paying a rent like that in the French Quarter, it would likely be a corporation. From waht I have heard, many, many buildings in the French Quarter are now owned by varios corporations and used for the purposes of housing their executives and visitors. I'd also heard that there was a movement afoot to stop this sort of acquisition, but I'm not sure how one would go about that.

Well, things like that definitely drive costs up for everyone around there... but it would be cool for my company to have a place like that in the French Quarter. I know my boss, though... he wouldn't pay $1,200/month, let alone $12,000/month. :)

Archived