New convention center and hotel in Montgomery

krazeeboi

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RSA is very generous to the cities Bronner likes.

Good for Montgomery <_<

I noticed the same. Nothing for Birmingham...unless you consider the Ross Bridge Resort which, while nice, is not located in downtown and certainly is not visible to the public or people passing through the city. I'm glad for Montgomery, but I'm hoping the RSA will do something in downtown Birmingham. Montgomery and Mobile now both have something.... I'm betting Huntsville may get something in the near future, but I'm not holding my breath on Bronner bringing something nice to Birmingham anytime soon.

I feel the same way. I'm very happy for Mobile and Montgomery and the other cities that

have benefitted from Bronner's largesse, but I want to see him do something

in Birmingham (not just Hoover) AND Tuscaloosa : Birmingham because it's the state's

largest city and metro, and Tuscaloosa because the 8-county west-central region anchored by Tuscaloosa

is the only sizable region of the state with zero RSA investment.

^I'm really surprised that Tuscaloosa doesn't even have a RTJ golf course.
Ross Bridge in Hoover is actually the closest for us.

For people in areas like Livingston or Demopolis, it's over 100 miles to any RTJ course or any

other RSA investment of any kind. For them, the RSA might as well be in another state entirely.

It's especially interesting to me since Dr. Bronner's job pre-RSA was as assistant dean in Tuscaloosa. I guess he didn't like it here too much :angry:

We're trying to get our downtown off the ground now, and even a fraction of the amount he has invested in places like Opelika and Florence and Point Clear would go a long way here.

As Birmingham continues to grow, Bronner will probably notice and invest in the city. However, I do not think he will do much more in Huntsville.

I was really hoping the RSA would step to the plate with some role in Birmingham's planned BJCC expansion plan. That's the biggest, most high-profile project in Birmingham proper that I can remember, yet I've

not seen any mention of the RSA even considering playing a role.

I was also hoping the RSA would do something in downtown Huntsville, as the urban core seems to be on the leading edge of really taking off - possibly play some role in the Von Braun Center improvements ?

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hotel Guru Works to Attract Conventions

Ray Ezelle, sales and marketing director for Montgomery's new hotel and convention center, has begun booking convention business for 2008, and believes that the facility will help change the perception of Montgomery for decades to come.

The $157 million development will have more than 103,000 square feet of meeting and exhibit space and a 14,000-square-foot ballroom on the main level. A performing arts theater will seat 1,800, and an upscale restaurant will face Commerce Street.

There will be 347 rooms; 600 parking spaces; and a 9,000 square-foot European style spa, a fitness center, a pool and fountains on the parking deck. A running track will circle the top of the deck.

Montgomery Advertiser story here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After three years in North Carolina, the Buckmasters Expo will return to Montgomery in 2008 (August 15-18), and will bring about 36,000 visitors to the new Renaissance Montgomery Hotel and Spa at the Convention Center. Buckmasters estimates an economic impact of $13 million to $14 million to the area.

Montgomery Advertiser: Buckmasters back in Capital City

August construction pic

RSAhq_8-19.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The new downtown hotel & convention center is about six months away from completion, and several national acts with Alabama ties will help open the facility. Among the first to book the center, the Alabama Music Hall of Fame will conduct its induction ceremony in Montgomery for the first time. Alabama natives scheduled to perform at the event include Percy Sledge, Randy Owen, The Commodores, Clarence Carter, and Taylor Hicks.

WSFA-TV: Convention Center & Hotel Near Completion; Opening Acts Set

Archived