Providence-Boston Airport?

Carter711

Last night, the Manchester City Council, in a surprise move, voted to officially change the name of Manchester Airport to Manchester-Boston Regional Airport. Boston isn't to happy about the idea, and is threatening a lawsuit. Providence, meanwhile is about the same distance from Boston and will be more accessible to the city than Manchester once commuter rail comes through.

I was just curious to see if you guys see a name change in TF Green's future.

Story

Welcome to Manchester-Boston Regional Airport

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I highly doubt it. While Providence certainly accepts its interplay role with Boston and we are now waking up to the opportunities of being associated with such am urban powerhouse; Rhode Island has a very, very strong sense of self. Our love of naming structures and places after fellow Rhode Islanders alone shows that.

Last night, the Manchester City Council, in a surprise move, voted to officially change the name of Manchester Airport to Manchester-Boston Regional Airport. Boston isn't to happy about the idea, and is threatening a lawsuit. Providence, meanwhile is about the same distance from Boston and will be more accessible to the city than Manchester once commuter rail comes through.

I was just curious to see if you guys see a name change in TF Green's future.

Story

Welcome to Manchester-Boston Regional Airport

they won't change the name of the airport...

MHT is actually closer to logan... 54 miles. while green is about 60 miles (green is actually in warwick, about 8 miles south of the city of providence).

and rhode islanders don't like change...

I can understand the argument that Manchester doesn't have much name recognition, but I agree with the alderman's suggestion to call it "New Hampshire International Airport." It's not nearly as misleading as attempting to associate the airport with Boston. In TF Green's case, maybe I'm being naive, but I think Providence is considerably more known outside New England than Manchester or Worcester.

An airport-sponsored study of 15 communities west of the Mississippi River found that 83 percent of respondents had never heard of Manchester Airport. But 93 percent had heard of Boston.

I'd like to meet the 7% who responded, "Boston? Nope, doesn't ring any bells." Or maybe I wouldn't. :unsure:

They are already talking about changing Worcester to Worcester-Boston.

Personally, I think it is downright misleading. If it is more than a 30 minute drive from teh city, then it's not the same region. Sure there are other cities in the country where the airport is that far away, but they don't hve the same road system as we do.

forget the road system... how about the fact that between manchester and boston, worcester and boston (although to a much lesser extent), and providence and boston there's a whole lot of nothing... especially providence and boston (although once you get out of nashua, there's a whole lot of nothing before you get to manchester). once you leave the state of RI and north attleboro, it's just woodlands until you hit 93, and even then it's not much until you get just south of boston (the milton area).

forget the road system... how about the fact that between manchester and boston, worcester and boston (although to a much lesser extent), and providence and boston there's a whole lot of nothing... especially providence and boston (although once you get out of nashua, there's a whole lot of nothing before you get to manchester). once you leave the state of RI and north attleboro, it's just woodlands until you hit 93, and even then it's not much until you get just south of boston (the milton area).

Not really, there's a bunch of office parks (Mansfield, Norton) and lot's of other sprawl between Providence and Boston. It's pretty contiguous development between the two cities.

Not really, there's a bunch of office parks (Mansfield, Norton) and lot's of other sprawl between Providence and Boston. It's pretty contiguous development between the two cities.

they're so spread out that a lot of it still remains undeveloped, which is not a bad thing. driving on 140 or rt 1 in the mansfield-foxboro area, you pass a ton of trees and then an office park and more trees and some other small development. some trees and then a boatload of parking lots and foxboro stadium (why couldn't they just build a couple big parknig garages?). it's really not until you get to the 95-93 split that there's a fair amount of development.

That one airline was US Air, and didn't they leave Worcester.

they're better off without us air... us air is terrible. i won't get started with the god awful experience i had with them flying to atlanta... but let's just say there were 5 flights involved... the first one was cancelled, and all the others were delayed because of the airline, not the airport or weather.

TF Green has much more potential than Manchester ever will. Providence is it's own city. With the boom going on now, it won't be long before Green begins to add more flights. This year will be a bad year for Green as Delta and American have pulled out a lot of flights. I see Green much like Bradley airport in a few years.

TF Green has much more potential than Manchester ever will. Providence is it's own city. With the boom going on now, it won't be long before Green begins to add more flights. This year will be a bad year for Green as Delta and American have pulled out a lot of flights. I see Green much like Bradley airport in a few years.

green will become what bradley is now. i don't think green will become what bradley has been in the past or has the potential to become in the future (that is a true international airport, and by international, i mean more than just flights to canada, which i think we currently have). but if they ever get the train going down to the airport (especially if there's a station literally at the airport so passengers can walk from the terminal to the train platform) and the planned expansion goes through, it will have awesome potential.

green will become what bradley is now. i don't think green will become what bradley has been in the past or has the potential to become in the future (that is a true international airport, and by international, i mean more than just flights to canada, which i think we currently have). but if they ever get the train going down to the airport (especially if there's a station literally at the airport so passengers can walk from the terminal to the train platform) and the planned expansion goes through, it will have awesome potential.

We do have flights to Canada, but it's just tiny 19-seater aircraft. I read awhile back that the Azores are going to start advertising more - hopefully we can get more than a weekly flight.

I think they should call Green, "Providence-Warwick-Cape Cod-Nantucket-Martha's Vineyard Airport."

I read awhile back that the Azores are going to start advertising more - hopefully we can get more than a weekly flight.

I really think I want to take advantage of those Azores flights sometime soon. Anyone ever been? Would someone who doesn't speak a lick of portuguese have issues?

I can understand the argument that Manchester doesn't have much name recognition, but I agree with the alderman's suggestion to call it "New Hampshire International Airport." It's not nearly as misleading as attempting to associate the airport with Boston. In TF Green's case, maybe I'm being naive, but I think Providence is considerably more known outside New England than Manchester or Worcester.

I'd like to meet the 7% who responded, "Boston? Nope, doesn't ring any bells." Or maybe I wouldn't. :unsure:

The pathetic knowledge of geography language in this country is amazing; it's like those people who have never heard of Providence, RI or Columbia, SC - don't kids learn all of the state capitals in school?

The pathetic knowledge of geography language in this country is amazing; it's like those people who have never heard of Providence, RI or Columbia, SC - don't kids learn all of the state capitals in school?

I've been asked by people in upstate New York if I have to take a ferry to get to the mainland....

US Airways did leave, but now Allegiant Air flies to Orlando from Worcester.

FYI; 20 years ago Worcester(ORC) had Piedmont(bought by US Air), Comtinental, Northwest, Presidential(bought by UA), US Air, Business Express(Delta commuter) and Bar Harbor(Eastern Commuter). There were other airlines also during that period. they had as many as 20 jet flights and 25 commuter flights daily.

Mark

Archived