Providence-Boston Airport?

Carter711

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Worcester's changing thier name to Worcester-MetroWest Boston Airport.

Metrowest has always been the pet name for Springfield. I don't see how Worcester can steal the nickname from that struggling city without a fight.

Metrowest has always been the pet name for Springfield. I don't see how Worcester can steal the nickname from that struggling city without a fight.

i was always under the impression that metrowest was actually east of worcester, ending at the 495 loop (the western part of boston metro).

Really? I've never heard that. The MetroWest Daily News for instance serves a radius around Framingham I think.

:dontknow:

I've been to Springfield and seen signs with the name Metrowest. They have (I think) three large buildings in the downtown area which you see as you cross the river. I've been to a few raves there at the Asylum over the years 'til '01 - the enlightening - never saw any other reason to go there to tour the city.

Although I did attend the Sportsman's Show a couple months back with my pops.

I believe NB was looking to extend the runway to accommodate planes/jets carrying freight .

Yeah to accommodate an air cargo facility. Increased passenger service was on the radar with the expansion as well though.

and for anyone even thinking about it - T. F. Green has NO intention of changing it's name...

I don't think it would be a very good idea for them to, and I think it was a poor idea for Manchester, at least at this point. Once we have the rail connection going, it's worth thinking about, but I don't think it's really needed.

Personally, if I flew from elsewhere in the country and was heading to Boston and was tricked into flying to Manchester, I'd be pretty pissed once I landed. It's not like flying into Oakland to get to SF where you can take a shuttle to the BART and be in Downtown SF in very little time, it's one hour plus on a bus from Manchester, and those buses don't run on demand like the shuttles from Oakland to SF. Hanging around Manchester airport, waiting for a bus is not my idea of convenience.

Green should focus on capturing the business of New Englanders flying out the way they have been. I know many Cape Codders who no longer even consider Logan as an example.

I don't think it would be a very good idea for them to, and I think it was a poor idea for Manchester, at least at this point. Once we have the rail connection going, it's worth thinking about, but I don't think it's really needed.

Personally, if I flew from elsewhere in the country and was heading to Boston and was tricked into flying to Manchester, I'd be pretty pissed once I landed. It's not like flying into Oakland to get to SF where you can take a shuttle to the BART and be in Downtown SF in very little time, it's one hour plus on a bus from Manchester, and those buses don't run on demand like the shuttles from Oakland to SF. Hanging around Manchester airport, waiting for a bus is not my idea of convenience.

Green should focus on capturing the business of New Englanders flying out the way they have been. I know many Cape Codders who no longer even consider Logan as an example.

exactly... i know people around worcester and the 495 loop that try to fly out of PVD If they can.

one thing to note, however, southwest advertises manchester and providence as "boston area". although, they don't fly out of logan.

PVD, in my opinion, is more convenient to boston than manchester. at least you can take a bus to providence and take the commuter rail or amtrak into boston.

Just wondering, what's up with the rail connection? Haven't heard anything about it lately, and we've been waiting for YEARS! :shok:

Just wondering, what's up with the rail connection? Haven't heard anything about it lately, and we've been waiting for YEARS! :shok:

well, the site is ready for construction and I've seen the design myself, just waiting on all the parties (State, Airport, and Car Rentals) to agree on how its all going to work I guess...

Archived