Providence-Boston Airport?

Carter711

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, the site is ready for construction and I've seen the design myself, just waiting on all the parties (State, Airport, and Car Rentals) to agree on how its all going to work I guess...

How were you able to see the design? I would love to take a look.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to give you guys the good news. Looks like Bradley will be getting non-stop to Amsterdam soon. The airport thread in Greater Hartford has some more info for all who may be interested.

This isn't good news for PVD. :P It's just another reason why we should expand the runways!

In addition, the Warwick residents now have yet another reason to shut up. The state has released the results of its air pollution study and the pollution levels around the airport are no worse than other suburban areas.

I just want to give you guys the good news. Looks like Bradley will be getting non-stop to Amsterdam soon. The airport thread in Greater Hartford has some more info for all who may be interested.

I'm confused as to your posting. If you're trying to be sarcastic, Green is in no way competing with Bradley for service. If you think that anyone in RI will potentially patronize Bradley and legitimately think that this is positive news for us, well then...I'd say no one cares. Props to you...but if we need international flights, we'll go to a true international airport 40 miles up the road in Boston.

not to mention that the new international service hasn't been announced by any airline, nor have there been any official word that the proposed carrier has the aircraft available to do the service. BDL-AMS was one of 10 routes mentioned as rumored to maybe get it mid to late next year.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be surprised if BDL-AMS happened, but be careful about counting your chickens before they have hatched. PVD has been so close to getting many differnat types of new service just to have something stupid happen to cause it to cancel. I hope it happens so some of these airlines realize that there is some money to be made at medium sized airports (like PVD and BDL) too...

Like what? (Not being sarcastic, I'm just interested).

Frontier to DEN (2001), Icelandair to Reykavik (1999/2000), thrice weekly Ireland service for this summer/fall came really close but fell through last minute. There are many more, but those were the most serious ones that I know of...

Frontier to DEN (2001), Icelandair to Reykavik (1999/2000), thrice weekly Ireland service for this summer/fall came really close but fell through last minute. There are many more, but those were the most serious ones that I know of...

I remember asking about Icelandair on the PVD group and they said it just wasn't economically feasible.

Were we going to get Aer Lingus to do the Ireland service? What caused it to fall through?

Thanks mental!

webbage - wasn't Aer Lingus, and I unforetuneately can't say who it was since there is always a chance this carrier MIGHT come here anyway. It was going to be heavily backed by a tour operator who didn't get all the financing he was counting on...

Icelandair could have come here - they just didn't.

London, Paris and Frankfurt would seem to the big draws for European service, but Amsterdam isn't far behind - and yes it's a big hub.

Is Amsterdam a European air hub? As nice as Amsterdam is, I just don't see much demand. wouldn't London, Paris, or Munich be bigger draws?

The reason Amsterdam is so big from the US is because Northwest and KLM have a huge partnership, and Amsterdam is KLMs big hub.

@Mental - I hope we get Ireland service someday! Maybe next summer! :)

@Mental - I hope we get Ireland service someday! Maybe next summer! :)

Me too. I hear the push for new service will target our areas largest demographics (Irish, Portuguese, Cape Verdean, Dominican, and Guatamalan - Italy is too far for PVD 'short' runways). This strategu make obvious sense - but getting (and keeping) international service is VERY difficult at best.

Me too. I hear the push for new service will target our areas largest demographics (Irish, Portuguese, Cape Verdean, Dominican, and Guatamalan - Italy is too far for PVD 'short' runways). This strategu make obvious sense - but getting (and keeping) international service is VERY difficult at best.

Yes, it is hard to maintain. We really need to expand 5/23!

so bradley can actually continue calling themselves an international airport? i hardly consider canada international considering air canada flies to PVD.

BDL doesn't really compete with PVD anyways, considering logan is an hour away and BDL is about an hour and a half (with far fewer flights than logan).

PVD and BDL do not compete very much at all. There is very little overlap between our market areas. The infrastructure and population density is so poor between the cities, there isn't much to fight over anyway. People in the Norwich and New London areas are technically in the PVD catchment area, but some of those folks will occasionally choose between the 2 airports under certain circumstances.

People in the Norwich and New London areas are technically in the PVD catchment area, but some of those folks will occasionally choose between the 2 airports under certain circumstances.

Yep... for school trips and such we always for some reason used Bradley, and when my parents took us to Florida a few times in the '80s we used BDL each time. Most people use PVD because it's cheaper. NL and Windham county definately overlap.

Yep... for school trips and such we always for some reason used Bradley, and when my parents took us to Florida a few times in the '80s we used BDL each time. Most people use PVD because it's cheaper. NL and Windham county definately overlap.

PVD is also easier to get in and out of in my opinion.

the advantage PVD has as it relates from residents of SE CT is that you don't have to go through downtown to get to the airport. If you are flying around the rush-hour times, you'd have to go through (or around on what appears to be smaller capacity or at least additional milage routes) dowtown Hartford. Since PVD is south of the city - you breeze right up on 95 and into the airport proper...

the advantage PVD has as it relates from residents of SE CT is that you don't have to go through downtown to get to the airport. If you are flying around the rush-hour times, you'd have to go through (or around on what appears to be smaller capacity or at least additional milage routes) dowtown Hartford. Since PVD is south of the city - you breeze right up on 95 and into the airport proper...

that's the same advantage it has to those in SE MA over logan... although in a different sort of way. :D

yes, in some cases. Although some have to pick their poison - going through Boston rush hour traffic or through Providence. For those up near the 95 corridor (in MA still though), you can always use 295 and avoid most of the worse Providence traffic has to offer and still be at PVD WAY faster than going through Boston.

yes, in some cases. Although some have to pick their poison - going through Boston rush hour traffic or through Providence. For those up near the 95 corridor (in MA still though), you can always use 295 and avoid most of the worse Providence traffic has to offer and still be at PVD WAY faster than going through Boston.

i'd take providence traffic anyday over boston traffic. even those on 93 just north of the merge are better off driving to PVD during rush hour.

Archived