Ottawa Street Power Station: Redevelopment

hood

I don't think a 12 story parking lot would be the best idea. That is pretty tall. I've been to NYC plenty of times and never came across a 12 story parking ramp in Manhattan. In a way, when parking becomes a problem, people will rely on mass transit more. So as long as there is a good transit system in place, hopefully we won't need 12 story parking ramps.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twelve floor parking rmaps are not at all uncommon, they are about the tallest you can go without an elevator, they may be able to go up to 14 though. To see some 12 floor ramps go to Detroit, they have several. For instance 1001 Woodward, which has a nice design and ground floor retail. (if you can find any better pics that would be good, Lmich):

1001_woodward.jpg

Hood,

There is no way they are going to tear down the older part of the North Grand Parking Structure anytime soon, they JUST got done a few years back making structrual repairs, repainting it, and adding new (and brighter) lighting. They poured a lot of money into it. The only ramps that may be forcing demolition are the South Grand Ramp (which will almost definitely be the first to go), and MAYBE the North Capitol Parking Structure across from LCC.

BTW, I wouldn't mind seing a 12-story garage on the current site of the North Grand Parking Structure. Lansing is still years off (and many thousands residents off) from an effective rail system that would require less parking, and the North Grand Parking Structure is probably the most unobstrusive site. Anywhere else, and you're talking about taking up prime land.

I think that if Grand Ave develops the way I think it will, becoming the prime street for residential high rises, that the city could justify razing the North Grand ramp in 5-10 years. Also, one of the worst ramps is the South Capitol ramp, that will go before or soon after the South Grand ramp, the North Capitol ramp could probably hold out awhile longer, but I would still say it will have to be razed in the near future, 5-10 years.

Thanks for the pic Hood. I had never seen a parking ramp like that before but you proved me wrong. :). It actually doesn't look that bad.

I wonder if NYC has an ordinance against building a parking ramp that high or something. Either that, or the owners of surrounding buildings bought the air rights to the parking structures so they could have windows looking out.

No, it's just that NYC has an amazingly large mass transit system, thus less parking is needed than in a typical city. I don't doubt that NYC has some monster garages, though, but much less so than in cities without large mass transit infastructures.

BTW, for Michigan, Lansing is doing pretty good in the mass transit department. CATA is currently has the second largest ridership of any transit authority in the state (second only to DDOT). This will bode well for Lansing in the future, hopefully, if CATA takes this as an incentive to take the transit system to the next level.

Until then, though, ample parking is going to be needed. And, as long as its designed better than the current structures, and at better locations, I don't have a problem with it if it helps the renovation or construction of new office and residential space.

That's my thought, build taller garages with ground floor retail. I also really like the design on that 1001 Woodward garage, with the simulated windows and redbrick. As you said also the grages should be built in better locations, not on the river, Washington or Michigan.

• 1 month later...

I'm not very impressed with the plans or ideas, or lack of them. I still think the biggest sticking point for this property is the BWL's refusal to remove their chillers, their sitting on a huge rainy day fund and could screw this redevelopment up all because their being stupid.

The RFP was officially released today. The mayor held a press conference announcing it this morning.

www.lansingriverfront.com

Great news! Thanks for posting LanCity! Good to see this thing moving. I was starting to get worried about it.

But, there are a few things that make me laugh about RFP's, especially how they list the projects in downtown, some of which have been put on hold for years, or loose concepts at best. lol I know they need to make the city sound as nice as possible, but it still makes you laugh.

The building that was just brought down was the Michigan Resturaunt Association building. I sort of doubted thats what they are talking about because it's nothing of any significance, actually its more of a disgrace given the size and location of the building, but I guess as long as it makes their list longer its good thing.

Actually I just heard from my dad today that the person he's been talking to says that the state police HQ is still "active," they said that there isn't any specifics but that the project is moving forward, just very slowly. When it comes to Cooley's Library/Performing Arts Center, I'd hardly say its on the backburner, its just simply a massive project that will be very complicated, I still think we'll see a more definative proposal no later than Spring next year, maybe before this years out though.

Actually I just heard from my dad today that the person he's been talking to says that the state police HQ is still "active," they said that there isn't any specifics but that the project is moving forward, just very slowly. When it comes to Cooley's Library/Performing Arts Center, I'd hardly say its on the backburner, its just simply a massive project that will be very complicated, I still think we'll see a more definative proposal no later than Spring next year, maybe before this years out though.

The "association" building has nothing to do with the restaurant association but if it happened it would be huge for Downtown and the City

What is it then? I have heard nothing about it.

Well its a building that is based on a lot of contingencies, if everything came together and online you wouldn't recognize Lansing's skyline when its all over. Its something worth getting excited about, but a lot of things need to come together before it happens.

Sorry, thats about all I can tell you.

I have a good guess to who Lancity is, and he can't reveal who he is, if it is who I think it is. It would be very bad for him, if he did.

that is, if it is who I have a suspicion it is. someone in a position to get information, let's just say the

'deepthroat' of Lansing development.

I have a few guesses, myself, mainly the director of the Lansing EDC. And, in that case, it would be very detrimental for him to reveal himself, but I would like to know if he's part of a city department or quasi-city agency.

I'm very interested to hear what this "association" development would entail that it would be something so huge as to change the Lansing skyline. The Lansing skyline hasn't really changed in decades so anything of this size would have to be major.

I won't disclose who I am or where I work, but you're all wrong thus far :)

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the future of lansing. I think the right people are in place to get it done.

As for the height of the "association" building. If it happens, its hard to say. Any developer would want to have enough letters of commitment before they went forward with their development, and of course they're not going to want to build a building that is just going to be empty space. Thus it would depend on how many commitments they had and how much space was needed. So in summary: I don't know.

I won't divulge anything secret on this board, but I think this city is deserving of a little more "buzz" than its been getting. We wouldn't even be talking about any of this if it weren't for it being mentioned in that RFP.

Next i'd like to see some publications being put out for this city like the one in grand rapids: rapidgrowthmedia.com but the buzz needs to catch up with the development, which at this point is still on the horizon.

One thing I've been very dissapointed with is that there isn't any news outlet that keeps up on development going on, such as the way the City Pulse used to. Every week the city pulse used to have a "Four Corners" section that had updates on all kinds of different developments big and small.

Archived