"UNCC" "CPCC" - What's in a name?

Richhamleigh, DC

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

200 Water Street IN NYC, which is an NYU dorm is 32 stories, and there are many others.

Well, I didn't mean urban campuses, but I didn't specify. Let me rephrase. What school that is not in a downtown district has 20+ story dorms?

P.S. The Cathedral of Learning at Pitt isn't a dorm; although it is enormous, it doesn't count. Their tallest dorm (Litchfield Towers "A") is 19 stories. I have a friend I visit up there that goes to Pitt.

I Can only think of a few but they are internationally located

Moscow%20state%20University.jpg

moscow state university

haha, let me rephrase again.

What university within the United States of America, located outside of a downtown area or CBD, has a 20+ story residence hall?

There, that should cover all the loose ends. Good call though. I wasn't expecting that. :thumbsup:

Illinois State, I dunno if its located in an urban area tho....

in normal, Illinois, its 28 stories and has 2200 kids living in it, thats the only one in the USA I could find after 10 min of searching on google.

oh and I actually came up with Moscow state off the top of my head, unlike illinois state, who the heck would know that? moscow state tower is one of my favourite buidings very USSR at least back in the day, there are a number of buildings that look like this in moscow

Illinois State, I dunno if its located in an urban area tho....

in normal, Illinois, its 28 stories and has 2200 kids living in it, thats the only one in the USA I could find after 10 min of searching on google.

Haha, well then I stand corrected. You're right. So glad somebody put it into their agenda to search out a way to prove me wrong. :lol: It's ok though, because now I can say, yea, Charlotte (UNCC) could use a high rise, or at least a decent mid-rise, that might even promote a few other +20 story buildings to spurt up around University. They already have seven +10 story buildings in the direct area and CIC from Wachovia which is the 3rd largest single tenant building by cubic feet in America, right after the NASA space shuttle building and the Pentagon. If it has the same square footage as the Empire State, why didn't they build it up instead of out?

Don't bash it til you try it. Most students on campus weekly go to uptown to go out. Chapel Hill and App aren't in huge urban environments, but neither is Charlotte. Charlotte is too suburban to really emphasize its location in Charlotte's uptown. Thus, you can't really promote that.

I tried it once and appatone is right; UNCC feels like a fancy community college. UNCC has some of the nicest on-campus housing in the UNC system, but that doesn't keep students around on weekends. My friends and I still chuckle when we drive down University City Blvd. because you can tell which day of the week it is based on how full the parking lots are. Monday-Thursday, they're packed. On Friday, they're full of students carrying out loads of dirty laundry and suitcases to their cars. On Saturday, they're a wasteland.

UNCC doesn't need to emphasize its location in regards to downtown. At least not exclusively. What UNCC needs to do is start throwing its weight around when it comes to city planning issues so it can start shaping a college experience around the main campus. And, in my opinion, it should do it quickly because once the NE light rail line is built (*crosses fingers*), it will be even easier for students to disassociate themselves from what the University has to offer. A name change would be a good way to get the ball rolling.

I tried it once and appatone is right; UNCC feels like a fancy community college. UNCC has some of the nicest on-campus housing in the UNC system, but that doesn't keep students around on weekends. My friends and I still chuckle when we drive down University City Blvd. because you can tell which day of the week it is based on how full the parking lots are. Monday-Thursday, they're packed. On Friday, they're full of students carrying out loads of dirty laundry and suitcases to their cars. On Saturday, they're a wasteland.

UNCC doesn't need to emphasize its location in regards to downtown. At least not exclusively. What UNCC needs to do is start throwing its weight around when it comes to city planning issues so it can start shaping a college experience around the main campus. And, in my opinion, it should do it quickly because once the NE light rail line is built (*crosses fingers*), it will be even easier for students to disassociate themselves from what the University has to offer. A name change would be a good way to get the ball rolling.

Indeed. I hear people talking about going to Franklin St and visiting their friends at UNC-CH and UNC-R for the weekend. Something should be done and though there is talk of a new direction, planning is just as bad as ever in UC. Look a few 'blocks' down the road on University City Blvd, they are building a new super strip mall extravaganza. Same is true at the corner of Tryon and Mallard Creek (though that would be a pain to walk to).

I say lets zone some POD (Pedestrian Oriented Development(is that a type of zoning?)) on the Blvd, rip down those 70's apartments, raze that new hideous half completed 'church' at the entrance and give people some places to hang out and enjoy the weekend or week. The train will be nice too, tear down everything around that and start afresh. That would take will though. :(

haha, let me rephrase again.

What university within the United States of America, located outside of a downtown area or CBD, has a 20+ story residence hall?

There, that should cover all the loose ends. Good call though. I wasn't expecting that. :thumbsup:

How about Lawrinson Hall at Syracuse University? It's 21 floors and pretty suburban.

info here And this is just one that I happen to know about.

lawrinson.gif

oof thats one ugly building metro

Haha, I would pack my bags if that was the tallest structure in University City.

Charlotte is annoying in that people do leave on the weekends, but those are the people that live on campus. Most (not all) of my friends that live off campus stay. It's all those annoying brats on campus who's mommies and daddies pay their way through school so they don't have to get jobs. That's why they run home every weekend, to stay on the heavier side of their parents' wallet.

I tried it once and appatone is right; UNCC feels like a fancy community college.

You tried the school? How long ago was this? It has changed more in the last five years more than in its entire history.

As a current student, I have lots of complaints about the campus and its design, but not the quality of my education. I have felt plenty challenged this semester. The uni's Earth Science and Geography Department has a good reputation and I am quite proud to be a part of it.

That said, I would love for UNC-Charlotte to change its name to the University of Charlotte. IMO, the school will never get away from comparisons with the others in the UNC system until a name change comes about.

As a current student, I have lots of complaints about the campus and its design, but not the quality of my education. I have felt plenty challenged this semester. The uni's Earth Science and Geography Department has a good reputation and I am quite proud to be a part of it.

That said, I would love for UNC-Charlotte to change its name to the University of Charlotte. IMO, the school will never get away from comparisons with the others in the UNC system until a name change comes about.

I agree, the campus is not perfect, probably won't be for awhile. Light rail might make it a little more interesting, but we all know that could be a decade away from completion unless there are more $400 million surpluses in NC in years to come. I'm proud to go to Charlotte, I'm actually wearing one of their hoodies right now; I had to today in this cold front that I really wish would go away.

Partly because of this forum, I now have to skold people when they say UNC or UNCC. I was picking up a tux today and my talor asked me what school I go to. I said Charlotte. She asked "Oh, UNC?" I cringed, and said, "I just call it Charlotte." I wanted to go off about calling it at least UNCC if not anything else. But she's older and I like her so I left it at that.

Partly because of this forum, I now have to skold people when they say UNC or UNCC. I was picking up a tux today and my talor asked me what school I go to. I said Charlotte. She asked "Oh, UNC?" I cringed, and said, "I just call it Charlotte." I wanted to go off about calling it at least UNCC if not anything else. But she's older and I like her so I left it at that.

If you had replied "UNCC", you would not have had that issue. :lol: As I said earlier, people in the greater communtity don't know what you mean when you say you go to "Charlotte". Maybe they think you are attending the Charlotte Art Institute.

I visited Charlotte (live in Nashville) last September and checked out the campuses of UNCC, Johnson C. Smith, Queens College, CPCC and Johnson & Wales. It is an interesting mix of schools, architecture, settings, etc.

As to the question about UNCC and CPCC, I do believe a change -- particularly for UNCC since it fields Division I sports (not counting football) -- would be helpful. The University of Charlotte has a classy feel to it.

I also understand that Wake Forest is going to have a downtown Charlotte presence in the future. That is a positive thing.

As to the trip, I had a fantastic time. Love the NoDa area with the charming Smelly Cat coffee shop. Downtown is vibrant and Dilworth is very nice. Charlotte is clearly a city on the move and a fantastic future.

William

I also understand that Wake Forest is going to have a downtown Charlotte presence in the future. That is a positive thing.

UNCC is also adding an uptown building to further increase its prestige in Charlotte as well. I guess with the influx of condos to the CBD comes higher education as well.

UNCC is also adding an uptown building to further increase its prestige in Charlotte as well. I guess with the influx of condos to the CBD comes higher education as well.

UNCC wants to add an uptown building. The NC Legislature has not approved the money for them to do it.

UNCC wants to add an uptown building. The NC Legislature has not approved the money for them to do it.

duly noted, you're right, but that's how most UNCC projects are. I can't remember the last public plan UNCC made that didn't get built. I'm sure that there have been some before, but I doubt it will be an issue. If they don't get to build the building by chance, I'm sure they'd still lease out space in one of the vacant office buildings that should be built in the next decade or so.

The current Chancellor of UNCC has said that by all rights, given the population of the area, and considering how underserved it is by public 4-year universities, that UNCC's population should be in the 35,000 range, but limitations on funding for buildings and dorms are holding him back. The only other public 4-year public university in the metro is Winthrop which most students in the metro area won't use because they would have to pay out of state rates to go there.

Metro, do you know if there are any exceptions here regarding tuition to four year colleges that exist close to state borders? I know SC students that live near the GA border are able to attend Savannah colleges at the same rate as GA students because they live so close to the state line. I think its only fair.

Archived