"UNCC" "CPCC" - What's in a name?

Richhamleigh, DC

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. The agreement between GA and SC is also reciprocal. Savannah students can attend USC-Okatie in Bluffton at SC rates,near Hilton Head. I hope UNCC students go beyond University City during their time in Charlotte. The area surrouding UNCC is hardly inspiring right now. I think all the projects underway citywide will attract even greater interest by prospective students toward UNCC.

Currently Winthrop does have an agreement on providing in state tuition to members of the Charlotte Regional partnership. Right now I think it only applies to Graduate students, but I could be wrong.

When I worked at USC-Lancaster there were a lot of efforts to offer in state tuition to Charlotte area students, but I'm not sure if they ever went anywhere.

https://www.winthrop.edu/graduate-studies/specialtuition.htm

Ok. The agreement between GA and SC is also reciprocal. Savannah students can attend USC-Okatie in Bluffton at SC rates,near Hilton Head. I hope UNCC students go beyond University City during their time in Charlotte. The area surrouding UNCC is hardly inspiring right now. I think all the projects underway citywide will attract even greater interest by prospective students toward UNCC.

No worries, between thursday and sunday kids at the university venture out to all stretches of Charlotte. At the speculation that most Charlotte kids go home to the burbs on weekends; that is only half true. The reason why a lot of the parking lots empty out is because the students who do drive (and live on campus) play caddy for people wanting to go to South Park, Uptown, and Concord Mills. Also, a lot of them have jobs on weekends in which they must drive to.

I'm tired of people saying that all Charlotte students (not you voyager, just in general) go home on the weekends. I only know of a few of my friends that do that.

Also, with Charlotte's region, we're in the bible belt where family is key. I think this has a lot to do with why the students who do leave go home on the weekends. Other areas of the country aren't so family oriented in comparison to the BB. Sorry, this just sparked the memory of people on this board accusing Charlotte of this.

Family is key in Japan and they don't have the Bible there but I agree with you Aussie Luke. When I lived in Moore dorm in the 80s there would be massive parties in that place all weekend long. In fact I lived on the set of floors called The Zoo and it earned its name. I later moved to one of the apartments and I don't remember them emptying out either. I had 3 roommates and they would stay all weekend except for one who would occasionally go home to the mountains to fill up his milk jug with some more moonshine when he ran out.

UNCC used to sponsor an event where esentially all of the beer companies would bring their trucks on campus and students could drink all the beer they wanted for free. (drinking age was 18 then) These were always big draws and kept a lot of people hanging around campus on the weekends. You just had to show your ID and they would put a wristband on you. I don't guess they can do this anymore however but they were a lot of fun. That is until you woke up and didn't remember how you got to where ever you happen to be.

Family is key in Japan and they don't have the Bible there but I agree with you Aussie Luke. When I lived in Moore dorm in the 80s there would be massive parties in that place all weekend long. In fact I lived on the set of floors called The Zoo and it earned its name. I later moved to one of the apartments and I don't remember them emptying out either. I had 3 roommates and they would stay all weekend except for one who would occasionally go home to the mountains to fill up his milk jug with some more moonshine when he ran out.

Well, I didn't literally mean to bring religion into it, i was just making a reference to the area.

UNCC used to sponsor an event where esentially all of the beer companies would bring their trucks on campus and students could drink all the beer they wanted for free. (drinking age was 18 then) These were always big draws and kept a lot of people hanging around campus on the weekends. You just had to show your ID and they would put a wristband on you. I don't guess they can do this anymore however but they were a lot of fun. That is until you woke up and didn't remember how you got to where ever you happen to be.

:shok:

Macquarie Uni outside of sydney had something like that, drinks were cheap but not free. I managed to find ways around that though having girls go up saying they "spilt their drinks." Works better than you'd think.

• 6 months later...

"University of Charlotte" reminds me too much of "University of Phoenix" :lol: Makes me wonder if it's just a dinky diploma mill somewhere...

I think "Charlotte State University" would be better - keep the affiliation with the state system but don't sound like just another "UNC at nnnn" satellite school.

I do admit that students are not as well versed these days as when I was in college, but I would hope that anyone in college would be able to figure out the letters in UNCC did not stand for community college. It was never an issue when I went there.

I am surprised this is what occupies the time of the Student Senate.

Metro, do you know if there are any exceptions here regarding tuition to four year colleges that exist close to state borders? I know SC students that live near the GA border are able to attend Savannah colleges at the same rate as GA students because they live so close to the state line. I think its only fair.

Appalachian takes full advantage of its namesake and mountain location to provide a niche for itself within the UNC system by truly giving students an experience of living in a new environment. ASU does this by taking strong advantage of the outdoor opportunities the mountains offer and the unique cultural offerings of the mountain area. When you at ASU or even Chapel Hill you know where you are and what it's all about.

At about the same time Pembroke State became UNC-P, there was a suggestion to change ASU to UNC-B; the idea was shot down pretty quickly - ASU does a very good job of managing their identity. Ditto for Boone, which seems to have accepted its' dual tourist town/college town identity; there's a thoughtful effort to make sure that one doesn't overwhelm the other.

Having gone to the school and lived in the area long afterwards, I think (outside of Charlotte) if any in-state school was a natural candidate to evolve/expand into a research university, it would be ASU, though the idea is (or was when I was there) very unpopular among both students and faculty. ASU - in its' current incarnation (it was previously Appalachian Teachers College) - goes back about as far as UNCC; the two schools have evolved down different paths. App is aware of its' national standing (and relative obscurity), but I think the priority is to continue to develop as a very strong regional school, rather than aiming to become a national prestige school, though by succeeding as the former, they may eventually become the latter, in the far-off future.

It really has nothing to do with Chapel Hill. What he is saying is the school is part of the University of North Carolina system. Like it or not, on a resume, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte or UNC at Charlotte, looks a lot better than Charlotte University or the University of Charlotte. Both of which really sound like small for profit schools or something you do on the web.

The school was once independent and known as Charlotte College. It did not start to grow until it joined the state university system and changed its name to UNC at Charlotte. It's taken it 45 years to build up that name, so I don't see the sense of tossing out that reputation and starting all over again.

When the time comes to get a job, I wonder how many of these advocates for changing the name, will be willing to be the first to put out a resume with the Charlotte University on it? I don't think there will be many takers.

There are a lot of University of X's and X University's out there. Saying that having just Charlotte in the name cheapens the name seems to be a bad sign for the city of Charlotte. What RHJ said is right, for people outside of this area, UNC-x sounds like a satellite school. The University of North Carolina at Charlotte has not earned a reputation nationwide with that name. If anything, the Charlotte 49er moniker that our athletics program has earned at least a notable reputation and people don't say, oh, small college.

If I graduated from University of Charlotte, Charlotte University, Charlotte College, or UNC-Charlotte, my diploma would mean the exact same thing to me. I would be no more or less reluctant to show it off either way. A college degree from a major university is a college degree from a major university. We're not talking about Yale or Harvard here. Chapel Hill may carry a bigger name, but having UNC-Charlotte on my resume vs anything else would not help or hurt me anymore. Even after I graduate I will continue to push for this issue, whether it makes my degree more or less "reputable" will be irrelevant to me because the school is still the same school, it didn't move, it didn't change. When an interviewer asks, any laymen would be able to say, "they changed the name" and that would be that.

Archived