Downtown Drinkin'

dmccall

JackPot on Hillsborough Street charges $1 for membership. They say they'll send you a card but they never do. It's all computerized so they just look you up when you get there. I'm a member but I rarely go but once/twice a year due to the relative sausage fest that place is. Good people though.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have any of you guys heard about a new gay club opening in Glenwood S.? I think the name of it is Jokers Wilde and it is supposed to open by the end of the month, but I drive through the area all the time and dont really see anything going on that looks like a new club. I know the old Steak Out building is having something done to it, but that doesnt seem big enough for a club.

• 2 weeks later...

With the Darryl's thread going off topic, I figure this would be a better thread to take over...

Doing research on when the drinking age was raised, I found a speech from Elizabeth Dole. Funny how no one has asked her about the role of alcohol in the death of several Wakefield teenagers over the last couple of years. Maybe she'll remember about the rest of state not within an hour of Salisbury during next year's election cycle.

Anyway, Regan signed the highway bill that tied the drinking age to highway funding on July 17, 1984, and North Carolina raised the drinking age to 21 September 1st, 1986.

NC State bought the land west of Weatherman's in 1980. The "notes" section says the land was razed in 83 or 84, though that note was made in 1989.

There were a couple of bars downtown as part of restaurants -- Greenshields, Joe's Place, and 42nd Street Oyster Bar -- and CCs, but that was about it.

Bars started moving west down Hillsborugh Street around that time. I turned 21 in 1994 and went to the Five-O that night. When East Village opened in the early 90s, that area of the street started to attract a lot of bar hoppers. Cantina, Pantana Bob's, etc. were popular with the fratenity/sorrority crowd, and the Brewery was the de facto live music club when the Fallout Shelter closed.

When people started littering and releiving themselves in the yards north of Hillsborough Street, businesses and neighbors asked the city and county to stop issuing ABC permits in the area from Wachovia through Darryl's. Changes to parking laws -- no parking after 9 or 11 without a sticker in the neighborhood to the north, free parking on the eastbound lane closest to the curb -- ran bars and Studio I & II out of the area.

In the mid-90s, the Longbranch and Marrz were popular, pulling crowds from the New Bar in the Charlie Goodnights complex. Legends, Wicked Smile, and the Button South opened in the Warehouse district, and Rockford opened on Glenwood. There was a bar in the current Pour House space, but I don't remember the name.

In the late 90s, downtown started to catch on. Legends drew a decent number of State students, and Jillians went from mostly empty to jam packed after being mentioned by Madison on G105's morning program. Flying Saucer, Pour House, the Office, Club Oxygen followd the Jillian's wave. Kings, Tir Na Nog, and Lakeside Lounge (Slims) opened around this time too.

In the early part of the 21st century, Hibernian opened near Rockford, Mellow Mushroom and Mo Joes opened on the Peace Street end, and the Creamery complex had Vin, Hard Times, and the Rhino Club. The Rhino Club was an attempt to go upscale that failed, a few years ahead of its time. Stool Pigeons is in that space today. 518, Southend, Ri Ras (now Napper Tandy's) and Taza's (now Blue Martini) opened in the Powerhouse area near 42nd Street Oyster bar. The next Glenwood wave was triggered by 510's Bogarts, and the Graduate which was replaced by Hi 5, Rush/Aura, Armadillo Grill (replacing the "Milk and More Cafe).

In the last couple of years, several new bars have opened in the "south warehouse" area with White Collar Crime, Nana's, Ess, Sin City (replacing Oxygen), Kulture, etc. Glenwood South has "The Dirty" near Harrington and Haven just north of the 510 building.

I'm sure there's a lot of gaps, missed time lines, etc. but is a decent start. I do think it would make for a good coffee table book, though few people would actually put it on their coffee table.

I started at State in 1991. Playboy named the Brent Road back to school party as one of the bigger/better college parties in the country. That attracted high schoolers and out of towners from ECU and points beyond. The "everyone catches up with each other at the beginning of the school year" party it started as was still there, but you had to look for it.

The media and police presence grew year after year and then leveled off. They went from closing off Brent Road to keeping people off it. Rents went up as the area got a reputation, and the residents on the street "up the hill" away from Gorman kept asking the city to do something about it. Every year the vast majority of people arrested were not State students, but that didn't stop the media from labeling it as an "NC State party."

Maanjri, currently Pi bar, was the location of the Five O, occasionaly mentioned on here. The owner also started Rockford on Glenwood. Five-O's name drawn from Hawaii Five O, and Rockford from the Rockford Files tv shows. In its heyday, the Five O was the go to place, since there weren't many other options at the time. Sundays was dollar domestics night, and Wednesdays were Triangle's original 80s night. It was funny that there was "80s night" a few years removed the decade, but there wasn't much/any mainstream dance music produced in the "grunge" era, so it caught on.

The Capitol Room is *not* a "long time staple". I'm pretty sure the Fayetville Street Tavern was a Radio Shack around the time of the pedestrian mall opening. It was a couple of different restaurants starting around 2001-2002 and opened as the Capitol room around 2004 or 5. A photo shows it as available in January 2004 on the county tax site. The space Fayetville Street Tavern is expanding into was a Wendy's until 1997 or 98, and has been empty since. It was busy, but didn't open for dinner and had no drive through window (obviously). Several times I ate burgers that had not been fully cooked :sick:

There might have been other staples, like the Capitol City Club on top of Progress Energy I, or the old Capitol City Club building at the corner of Martin and Salisbury, but neither of those were affiliated with F Street Tavern.

• 2 months later...

^ I dunno...their location is kinda hidden behind where the TTA station would have been, from what I could tell.

I kinda assumed Sidetrack would be mostly betting on business from the surrounding residential areas: Boylan Heights, Bloomsbury Condos, Cityscape Apts, St. Mary's townhomes, and the various apartments on Morgan & Hillsborough. Combine that all together and one would think the demand for a "neighborhood bar" would be adequate. :dontknow:

According to their website:

"The Triangle Transit Authority's Regional Rail System will be operational in 2008, and the Downtown Raleigh Station will be on our doorstep."

"We are still looking for investors. We have about 2/3 of our commitments. Click on the documents in the Prospectus to the left for detailed information."

I've never seen a restaurant solicit investors on their website, this surely can't be a good sign, especially when they are spewing incorrect info about the TTA. Oh well, sounded like a nice place.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

From todays N&O:

Sidetrack Brewpub. The brainchild of Andrew Leager, who operates woodworking company Special Projects in the building's basement, was expected to open this summer. But building permits for the project, at the southeast corner of Boylan Avenue and Hargett Street, have been harder than expected to obtain. Leager now hopes to open early next year.

Again, this will be just the second brewery (Big Boss) in Raleigh when it opens.

on sort of a side note, my parents were at the beach on vacation and my mom got to talking to this older woman about raleigh and how she grew up here. she was telling my mom about how she used to drink at the capitol room before fayetteville st. was a pedestrian mall. i did not realize that the capitol room was such a staple downtown. i did not know of its history and now question the owner's decision to change the name to the fayetteville st tavern.

The Capitol Room is now the restaurant in the Blue Ridge Ramada (an underwhelming hotel given its proximity to downtown, RBC/Carter-Finley, SAS, etc.), and has some tie to the two Belks locations. We ate there once. The food was underwhelming and seemed to be straight out of a cafeteria, despite it being a full service restaurant.

I am guessing Fayetville Street Tavern is the bar banned from using "Capitol Room"? I like the new name better, but am not a fan of their Harley-Davidson like t-shirt logo.

Has anyone been to Fins for drinking yet or just eating?

The Mint seemed to still be months away last time I passed there.

Has anyone been to the renamed pourch/bassment?

Any news on tenants going into the Wilmington/Hargett NE corner?

• 5 months later...

It has been a while, and it's Friday at work, so time to update the list.

Probably a bit too late for folks going to the World Beer Festival tommorow, but better late than never!

Here is the (somewhat) full list, with as many additions and subtractions that I know of. I moved the Quad 3/4 line to the Dawson/McDowell corridor.

Glenwood South and the warehouse district still dominate, though F Street/City Market is holding its own, even before the convention center opens later this year.

Quad 1

Mo Joe's

Mellow Mushroom

Haven

Office Tavern

Red Room

The Globe

Bogart's

Hi5

Armadillo Grill

Lucky B's Around the Corner

George

Sullivan's

The Dirty (?)

Stool Pigeons

Hard Times

Enoteca Vin

Whatever used to be Rush Lounge

The Bassment

Hibernian

Rockford

42nd Street Oyster Bar

Napper Tandy's

Second Empire's Tavern

Blue Martini 116 N. West St.

Prime Only

Mosaic (across from 518)

Amras

Dive Bar

Quad 2

18 Seaboard

J. Betski's

Quad 3

Ess

White Collar Crime

Five Star

Humble Pie

Deep South

The Office

Flying Saucer

The Borough

Flex

Aries Lounge

Legends

The Capital Corral (CC Nightclub)

Berkley Cafe

Mosquito Lounge 311 South Harrington St

Poole's

Quad 4

The Bar (in the Sheraton)

Yancey's

The Big Easy

Alibi

The Mint

Fayetville Street Tavern

Slim's 227 S. Wilmington St.

Landmark Tavern

Cafe Luna

Pour House

Tir Na Nog

Duck & Dumpling

Times Bar

Riveara/Riv Lounge

Rum Runners

Zydeco

Woody's

El Rodeo

Lounge 101

Fins

Lincoln Theater

Soon to be added to Quad 1 will be Brooklyn Heights in the old Firefly space. I'm not sure when they are planning to open, but it looked pretty close to ready when I walked by after work today. Earlier in the week I saw them moving some of the furniture in. I have not really heard much else about this other than a mention today on New Raleigh.

Also, Sidetrack Brewpub appears to be making progress it seems on their deck, and the interior is supposedly coming along as well, according to their website. They are also taking suggestions for beer names that reflect "Raleigh, trains, and your beer attitude."

• 2 months later...

Helios has their kegerator working finally. 4 or 5 beers on tap....and while I can appreciate a good import, nowadays having another $2 PBR option is nice. (Quality of my drinking is inversely proportional to the price of gas)... :alc:

It has been a while, and it's Friday at work, so time to update the list.

Probably a bit too late for folks going to the World Beer Festival tommorow, but better late than never!

Here is the (somewhat) full list, with as many additions and subtractions that I know of. I moved the Quad 3/4 line to the Dawson/McDowell corridor.

Glenwood South and the warehouse district still dominate, though F Street/City Market is holding its own, even before the convention center opens later this year.

Quad 1

Mo Joe's

Mellow Mushroom

Haven

Office Tavern

Red Room

The Globe

Bogart's

Hi5

Armadillo Grill

Lucky B's Around the Corner

George