Expansion of Ford Airport

gvsusean

That's interesting that Denver is the biggest destination from GRR not currently served by a direct flight. Is it because so many people are just going to Denver, or that so many people have connections in Denver? I guess I'm surprised the biggest destination isn't New York or a west coast city like LA or San Francisco. Though Denver may be a very convienient spot for a layover for a west coast trip. Now if only any flights were available past 11pm at GRR.

-nb

I am a bit suprised that DEN is the biggest destination not currently served by a direct flight. I will note that NYC is served directly by CO through EWR (Newark), but I would have thought LAX or SFO would be bigger destinations.

I do know that there are a lot of skiiers headed that way in the winter months though. I don't know how much business is done between here and there. As far as business travel, I would think a city like Boston would be a bigger destination.

I too miss some of the earlier and later flights that have been cut. Seems like I am always trying to shoehorn in a trip, and those flights made it much easier to have a productive day at my destination and still be home the night before/after. I hope there is a later flight back from DEN. It would be great to be able to ski til 3 or so in Summit County and still hop a flight home that night.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess this is as good a thread as any for this:

Ford Aiport to tap major Rockies market by Fall

GRAND RAPIDS -- This fall, United Airlines will open a major portal between West Michigan and the western United States.

On Tuesday, it announced plans to begin daily direct service between Grand Rapids and its hub in Denver on Sept. 6.

Denver International is the sixth busiest U.S. airport and the 11th-busiest in the world. Denver is the seventh most-popular destination for travelers leaving Gerald R. Ford International Airport.

Reading that headline made me think that GRR was going to sell Coors :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Let's bring this topic back up to the front. I was out at the airport today and snapped a few pictures of what appears to be the beginning of the expansion of Concourse B. here they are:

166601894_2dac87175b.jpg

166601921_c1c3832ed1.jpg

I was kind of surprised to see that they're adding onto the back of the concourse instead of the end. Does anyone have access to the plans for this addition?

There has to be a new carrier coming in, or maybe someone is going to make it a small hub. The airport lost passenger traffic in '05. There has to be something going on for them to add to concourse B. The original statement says the are adding a gate. Gate, as in one more place for planes to land? or Gate as in multiple new ports of entry into the airport. I have long thought that there needs to be something done to boost traffic out of Ford. A little can go along way, and perhaps we can have competitive fairs for a change.

I'll cover it, GRDad. I love the airport.

Update: Oh, wait, I get it. The whole security thing. You just have to be fearless, people.

I absolutely love the airport too, i have a facsination with the airplanes, and I appreciate GRR opening up the viewing area for all to enjoy.

This weekend I was at o'hare, and DTW, and i just cannot believe the massive amount of traffic that goes through those places and what a logistics nightmare it must be.

Let's bring this topic back up to the front. I was out at the airport today and snapped a few pictures of what appears to be the beginning of the expansion of Concourse B. here they are:

166601894_2dac87175b.jpg

166601921_c1c3832ed1.jpg

I was kind of surprised to see that they're adding onto the back of the concourse instead of the end. Does anyone have access to the plans for this addition?

I have drawings sitting right here in front of me. It looks like the lower level is what they call lease space and mechanical space. The upper level is what is a passenger lounge with a ramp and stairs to the lower level with new restrooms. I was going to scan the drawing in and post but I didn't want to get the fed's after me.

• 2 weeks later...

However as airport parking ramps go, it'll be rather average. The new one at Metro has what over 11,000 spots? I know they are adding a Gate at Ford, but are there any long term plans for an airport terminal that doesn't look like your flying into BFE ?

• 2 months later...

Archived