Expansion of Ford Airport

gvsusean

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when are they going to have non stop Grand Rapids to Phoenix

Or anywhere on the west coast for that matter...I am flying out to both Phoenix and Los Angeles later this week, and have to hit up Minneapolis on the way out and Memphis on the way back...I love the convenience of it!!! :wacko:

Or anywhere on the west coast for that matter...I am flying out to both Phoenix and Los Angeles later this week, and have to hit up Minneapolis on the way out and Memphis on the way back...I love the convenience of it!!! :wacko:

I'll be flying to Phoenix via Cleveland in a couple weeks. I try not to think of it as inconvenient but rather as bonus frequent flyer miles.

Apparently a Southwest plane had to make an emergency landing in Grand Rapids not too long ago. I don't remember hearing about it, but there's video of the pilot talking about it on their corporate blog.

Check it out, several people have commented that GRR would be a great place for SW to land regularly, and I couldn't agree more. Let's tell them what we think.

Dangit I would love SW in GR.

he said we have a small airport :cry:

I didnt think it was that small

Last Saturday I was waiting for boarding and heard this announcement:

<circus ringmaster>

"LADIEEEZZZZ and GENTLEMENNNN, boys and girls! If you're arriving from [place] on [flight,] you can collect your baggage at [carousel number]...and while you're there, stop and see [suzie] and wish her a HAAAPPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!" </circus ringmaster>

Yes, it is a small airport. I never heard anything like that at DTW.

[3-hour layover in O'Hare on the flip-flop]

big airport compared to what? muskegon, kalamazoo, yes. The rest of the cities that southwest flies to, no, its small.

If you compare to cities of similar size and scope to GR then its very average size 1 terminal, 2 concorses, 8 shoots (that might be a little small), but with a new parking ramp, added gates, new flights and carriers, and possibly direct access to I-96, I would say its growing fast and steady and could be bigger than average someday

It's a good size airport... I'd pay more attention to the economic value the port has then anything else. I don't really pay so much attention on passenger activity, but more on the import and export of goods.

But the bad news is, according to www.grr.org, is that cargo transport is way way down this year.

• 1 month later...
just wanted to see if any forumers knew this but. I noticed a city of gr tax added on my check today i work out at the airport and always thought that was kentwood. well after looking through some maps i found that right smack in the middle of the airport is grand rapids im i the only one who didnt know this or?

Yes, I recall that when the airport was built, the terminal was added to the City because of the liquor issue. When the airport opened in 1963, Kentwood had not yet been incorporated.

I remember the Fred Harvey's Restaurant at the airport as being a very big deal. I think I saw my first plate of lobster at the restaurant (not at my place setting, unfortunately). It was clearly one of the best places in town, and remained a good restaurant up to the early 1970s, as I recall. Good food, and a chance to watch airplanes -- a nice combination in my book.

(Of course, until 1968, the planes were limited to propliners -- Viscounts, Convair 240s (later 580s), DC-6s and DC-3s. When the first jets came in that year (737s on United and DC-9s on North Central), it seemed like GR had finally hit the big time.

the airport is mainly in Cascade township, not kentwood, patterson ave is the border and the only part of the airport that is in kentwood are 2 small strips of land on the west side of patterson that have the landing lights.

but I've wondered why on maps it shows GR city limits in by the terminal only. Why GR did'nt annex the entire airport property?

Great trivia, Walker. I didn't know that about the 737, but it doesn't surprise me. I think that UAL was the launch customer for the 737-200, though Lufthansa may have flown 737-100s a little earlier in Europe. One of the first 37s was named "City of Grand Rapids." My first jet flight was on one of those birds -- pretty exciting stuff.

• 2 months later...

Archived