Do you like FM Radio in Charlotte?

monsoon

Do you like FM Radio in Charlotte?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like FM Radio in Charlotte?

• No - it is worthless, constantly channel surfing
    • Yes - love it, can't live without my DJs
    • Only listen to news and public radio
    • I don't listen to FM

I had to take my car in for service this morning which meant I did not have my satellite radio anymore. So I attempted to listen to FM during the perilous journey from E. Independence Blvd back to Huntersville at 9 am in the morning. (I had to pick the one morning it was pouring down rain.) I was taken back by how bad it is these days. All I could find was either hip hop or bubble gum music, endless talk and commercials. It's not my cup of tea, but maybe you folks feel different.

So what do you guys think of the state of radio in Charlotte these days?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was in high school and I would occasionally come through the area and could pick up 106.5 I used to think it was so great. Now that I live in Charlotte it seems that 106.5 is still mostly playing the same songs I heard 10 years ago, and they call themselves "New Rock."

The station I listen to often is from Lexington and they play mainly 80s.

The radio stations here are awful, but I think they are pretty awful everywhere, with the exception of some college stations.

I mostly listen to NPR. My husband has satellite radio in his car. FM radio is pretty bad here. I do enjoy the local NPR station. I particularly enjoy Charlotte Talks.

I ditched XM radio in favor of NPR. I strictly listen to NPR now in my car and my fiance does the same in her car. I do listen to an a-la-carte music subscription service during work, but that is only when I'm not listening to NPR podcasts. FM radio is terrible for the most part, at least for listening to music.

I mostly listen to NPR. My husband has satellite radio in his car. FM radio is pretty bad here. I do enjoy the local NPR station. I particularly enjoy Charlotte Talks.

N-P-R is the only place my dial is at too cbv. I hate all others :angry:

Sorry

A2

Another vote for NPR :thumbsup: Do we all drive beat up Volvo wagons and wear birkenstocks too? Oh thats the Chapel Hill forum :P I can't stand most of the DJs but I do like a variety of music so I listen to 95.1 for top 40 and The End out of Gville/Sptbg for rock. I also have to say that Mix 94.1 out of the Triad does have a great mixture of music and the DJs play more songs than talk which is always a plus.

I can honestly say that it was the low quality of Charlotte stations that FINALLY got me to start buying CDs for the CD player (it came standard in my car.) For years ... (OK, decades :rolleyes:) ... the radio was good enough for me.

I usually leave it on 90.7 -- not for NPR so much as the local music and lack of ads.

With the demise of oldies 96.1 (Magic 96) several years ago, there has been a huge void in the Charlotte radio market depending on what type of music you prefer.

One of my favorite radio stations to help fill that void is WRBK, 90.3. They play so many old hits that no other station in the Charlotte area will play. A huge variation of rock, R&B, bubble gum & beach. They are out of Chester, SC and come in pretty clear in south Charlotte but start fading out around Tyvola/Park Rd.

Another station that I listen to at times is 95.7. They are an independent radio station and fortunately not under the Clear Channel cloud that has stations playing the same ole burn out songs 15 times a day.

95.7 will occasionally play deep cuts, and lesser played hits but for the most part they tend to play 95% of what you hear everywhere else. That's too bad as they could really take more advantage of the missing link in Charlotte radio. OK, I know I am showing my age here but that's OK. Everything today is pretty much a knock off of the best music from the 60's & 70's. I keep a pile of CD's in my car and tend to listen to them more than anything.

I miss the smooth jazz station. A market this size should have one.

Smooth jazz is like the only thing on FM radio that I like, and it's starting to sound more bland from listening to it in other markets, although I wish we had it in Charlotte. Hopefully they'll add a few more formats, when we get more move-in stations. They just recently moved 100.9 to Charlotte from Albemarle and started playing a gospel format, which isn't too bad, if you're into that.

I guess there is always XM, CDs, and mp3s.

IMO, as long as i can remember charlotte radio has flat out sucked. it's really rather embarrassing for a city our size. i attribute the "college" factor as the problem... as with most of charlotte cultural woes. there is not a prominent college radio staffed by students, whose playlist is influenced by students. i used to have a radio show in durham on the duke university's station 88.7 WXDU. i was not a student @ duke, but the station allowed participation from the general public as it was a co-op. i often fantasized about charlotte having something like that... but all we really have is a laundry list of clear channel #@$%.

charlotte is @ a point where i think the lack of culture, i.e. music, art, etc... is going to fade. even without major unversities or colleges in center city, we are just growing so much, that all the cultural perks are inevitable. radio, i believe is one that charlotte missed it's chance on (except WBT or WFNZ) - as i tend to think that community based radio is increasingly becoming extinct. however, it does seem almost impossible that it would dissappear completely... i would not be surprised to see an inclusion of certain local community stations among the satellite radio trend.

i do not have satellite radio, but think it's a brilliant... i do have a question for those who do. i know that radio was @ first intended to serve the public, specifically the immediate community... i.e. public service announcements. so, if you have satellite radio in charlotte and lets say a volcano erupts and the pyroclastic flow is headed towards you... will there be a local public service annoucement played on satellite radio?

as for the presets on my radio.

1. 90.7 WFAE/NPR

2. 88.7 or 100.7 WNCW singer-songwriter/bluegrass

3. 106.1 WMIX crooner and AM gold

4. jazz station?

Cinco, I have Sirius and my partner had XM until he traded his chevy for a lexus and now he has Sirius too, so I have listened to both extensively. There are no public service annoucements for Charlotte so if a volcano were to erupt in Charlotte then you would have to find out about it by other means. Sirius does offer a local channel (traffic and weather) for the 20 largest markets in the USA, but CLT is not there yet.

However the local media has gotten so sensationalist, that at the sign of the few pops of lightening, their reporting of it makes me think that I need to head for the local fall out shelter. The old fable of Chicken Little still applies. Therefore, I am not sure that having a Sat radio is any disadvantage over FM If you are really concerned, you can get a small radio that monitors the local NWS weather band. (In CLT this is band 3) I actually have this on my car sterio, but they can be had for a small amount of money.

88.7 is definitely one of my all-time favorite radio stations. It generally comes in west of Statesville along I-40. I like how they have NPR news updates but no All Things Considered, etc.

Does Charlotte have any college radio stations? 88.1 WKNC (NCSU), 88.7 WXDU (Duke), and 91.5 WUNC (UNC / NPR) are the only radio stations I listen to in the Triangle. I'm willing to bet that ClearChannel has a panel of 10 lawyers dedicated to shutting them off the airwaves using whatever means necessary - especially 88.1 and 91.5 since they have powerful transmitters - but they haven't succeeded yet.

Archived