Do you like FM Radio in Charlotte?

monsoon

Do you like FM Radio in Charlotte?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like FM Radio in Charlotte?

• No - it is worthless, constantly channel surfing
    • Yes - love it, can't live without my DJs
    • Only listen to news and public radio
    • I don't listen to FM

Okay, so it seems to be established that FM radio in Charlotte stinx and is getting. It is also clear that satellite radio is gaining ground fast.

It seems to me that there will be a time when things shift fast, when the numbers hit a low point on local FM that cause them to lose sponsors. That will, in turn, make content worse.

I think there will end up being some stations that remain, but it'll like turn out being like AM radio now, where only a handful of stations have content that anyone cares about.

So assuming my theory is true and FM will begin a rapid decline and most people end up with satellite radio, here is my question: is this another chapter in the death of regionalism? Is it bad that Charlotte could lose out on many of its local radio shows (Charlotte does pretty well as far as syndication of radio programs)? I think it could be good if it means that we no longer have the negative reputation of being slow to get good music. But it still could cause us to lose out on the benefits of locally based media.

well, i think about this often when i'm lonely.... it's very interesting to try and predict where radio is going. i love how satellite gives a big FU to the FCC and the fact there is a streaming, ad free station, for every mood in the human psyche. though, i must admit that there is something impersonal about satellite radio to me... but overall it's brilliant and no doubt it's the future. what will become of FM is what is intriging. i wonder as FM loses more and more listeners that stations will close up shop... leaving more and more open band width. now here's where i start dreaming... it would be nice if all the corporate stations folded and FM then became a playground for local audiophiles, entreprenuers...

OK. lets see if i can put this in simpler terms. IMO, corporations (clear channel) have hijacked and homogenized FM radio. it seems that satellite type radio can serve as the sword that slays monopolized FM station owners. hopefully this re-opens FM to the opportunity of a local or regional voice. everyone wins. except clear channel... but they made their bed.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a very good point, cinco. That would be very cool, too.

But wouldn't it just be easier for small shops to just broadcast on the internet or get a slice of the huge bandwidth of satradio than to try to get a broadcasting setup, and deal with all the licensing stuff? It seems that there is already room on FM for people to do that anyway. So it seems that unless that barrier to entry falls, that it won't happen.

I hope FM doesn't go away, as that I specialize in advertising, Radio Spots are the cheapest methods out there, and still pretty effective, people listen to the radio enough still, it won't completely replace radio for a long time.....

Did you know that the US Gov't was planning on switching completely over to High-Def TV by 2006.......... I just looked around and I have only 1 high def in my apt, and its a small one in the kitchen, then 3 regular tvs.

But wouldn't it just be easier for small shops to just broadcast on the internet or get a slice of the huge bandwidth of satradio than to try to get a broadcasting setup, and deal with all the licensing stuff? It seems that there is already room on FM for people to do that anyway. So it seems that unless that barrier to entry falls, that it won't happen.

your absolutely right. thats the biggest question for me - where is FM headed? i think @ some point, the barrier for entry will fall... as listeners and stations start to leave FM. hopefully that will create a void that can only be filled by local and regional interests... b/c more of the same won't ever be supported as it once was. FM will be a downsized market as far as big commercial radio is concerned... i just wonder how they will deal with it. i personally hope it wipes them out. the funny thing is the FCC, which loosened it's mandate to allow more station ownership, in a particular area, by a single company, has completely backfired. @ least it seems that way to me.

i understand your point about smaller shops setting up on the internet... i just hope for the purpose of accessabilty, that they could get a chance @ FM. i mean everyone has an old radio lying around. as for satradio (dubone, did you coin that word?), i wonder the costs involved and if that would limit a true regional/local station.

i know of people in NYC who have done the whole pirate-radio thing. thats always cool to come across, but limited to small range and often leads to crippling paranoia for the pirate. also, AM radio has become somewhat popular amongst smaller shops. i used to spend hours tooling around with a shortwave radio as a kid. man, talk about crazy... i heard everything from gay theatre to a station with the sole purpose of keeping "atomic coordinated universal time"???

Did you know that the US Gov't was planning on switching completely over to High-Def TV by 2006.......... I just looked around and I have only 1 high def in my apt, and its a small one in the kitchen, then 3 regular tvs.

Charlotte HDTV local stations last i checked in 2004 are doing very well. 3, 9, 18 and 36 are running at full power and was able to pick them up in Asheboro. I heard 36 is getting better now but back in '04, they were having problems intermittantly with the HD signal.

So assuming my theory is true and FM will begin a rapid decline and most people end up with satellite radio,

I dont think society as a whole will be willing to pay $10-12 a month to hear something that they were listening to for free before so therefore, it will continue to be around. Most people now have CD players and/or "IPODS" with a connector to their car CD player if the radio is not doing them any good for music preferences.

Maybe not, but on the other hand as you can see above, less than 10% of those polled think FM is worth listening to. Buy one CD or download a few legal tunes and you have paid for a months worth of music on satellite. Once I tuned on the Sat, I have heard music that I would have never known about otherwise. And from what I can see a lot of it can't be bought on CD or it is difficult to find on download.

BTW, Sirius (not sure about XM) broadcasts BBC Radio 1 which is one of the big pop stations in the UK. It has not been perverted by corporate interests and comes closest to resembling FM of the 70s & 80s when it was still local. It's refreshing to hear something like that again.

I am not sure what HDTV has to do with this discussion at all.

The TV analogy doesn't fit, though, because it is really the same content, just a higher quality. The Sat radio is better content and better quality. There is a last ditch effort to save broadcast radio by switching to digital. That is more analagous to the TV switch.

(By the way, it doesn't really matter if you own all HDTVs as there will be set top boxes or converters. The delay in the regulation is more about the manufacturing side than the consumer side from what I have read).

I agree. Government isn't madating a replacement of FM with Satellite.

A better analogy is what cable did to broadcast TV. 25 years ago, most people watched TV on the local TV stations. Now with cable and satellite channels, they gather just a minority of television watchers. And I will point out that people paying for cable TV or Satellite are doing so even though they can get broadcast TV for free by throwing up a cheap antenna. (TV's used to come with built in antennas, now they have built in cable plugs)

I am not sure what HDTV has to do with this discussion at all.

I was aware of being off topic (no analogy intended) because i wanted to respond and applause the local HDTV progress in the Charlotte market since they are doing better than the NYC market with Charlottes main affiliates (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX) transmitting FULL POWER.

I then went to the next paragraph to redeem myself to return back to the main topic on FM radio Charlotte :D

WFAE HD2, our digital HD radio channel, is also available to listen to online. WFAE is the first station in Charlotte to broadcast two programming channels on its digital signal. WFAE HD2 features the Triple-A (adult album alternative) format called XPoNential Radio, which showcases an electic blend of blues rock, world, folk and alternative country. XPoNential Radio can be heard on a digital HD Radio receiver or online.

I think HD Radio could give XM and Sirius a run for there money in the coming years. You'll be able to listen to several different types of music on one station, like you were mentioning with WFAE. The AM stations sound so much better in high definition and probably could support different types of music programming as well.

Although the equipment is expensive right now, I expect it to come down in price in the coming years and unlike satellite radio, there are no monthly fees as of yet anyway.

As far as college radio goes... up here in Davidson we have WALT 1610 AM. Weak signal, but good.

As for the rest of the bunch:

KISS 95.1

Symbolizes all that is wrong with the world. Pop only, actually speeds up music (listen closely) so that they can get to the commercials faster.

WEND 106.5

New Rock just doesn't have the goods like it used to. At least Jack and Kristin are pretty amusing. They're the only radio talk show that I'll listen to.

WYBT 96.1

Guilty pleasure station if you don't mind listening to the latest Hip Hop single for a little bit.

WRFX 99.7

Quality station, more about the music than many.

107.9 The Link

Starting to throw back to early 90's music, which I like. Unfortunately, your nostalgia is quickly destroyed by Matt and Ramona trying and failing to host a funny afternoon show, or Bob and Sherri listening to themselves talk.

Most of the other stations have already been mentioned. I'm a big fan of 88.9, the jazz station.

107.9 The Link

Starting to throw back to early 90's music, which I like. Unfortunately, your nostalgia is quickly destroyed by Matt and Ramona trying and failing to host a funny afternoon show, or Bob and Sherri listening to themselves talk.

Ive always liked the Link. Over in Pinehurst, one day ill get the Link, the next day ill get 107.9 WNCT (Oldies Station) out of Greenville/New Bern.

I hate how the AM stations keep replacing solid national talk shows with local crappy ones. Take Jim Rome being cancelled 3 years ago on 610 AM WFNZ and replaced with local guys who talk about NCAA 24/7. I mean I know it's NCAA country, but there's something to be said about overkill.

You mean ACC right, b/c the whole country is NCAA.

try 1660. They air the ESPN Radio shows.

Archived