Do you like FM Radio in Charlotte?

monsoon

Do you like FM Radio in Charlotte?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like FM Radio in Charlotte?

• No - it is worthless, constantly channel surfing
    • Yes - love it, can't live without my DJs
    • Only listen to news and public radio
    • I don't listen to FM

wow. speaking of charlotte radio, i just saw that Henry Boggan of WBT's "hello henry" died.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ent...ip/14388577.htm

my dad (therefore myself) used to listen to this guy all the time. when i got into my pre-teens i used to crank-call into his show often. very sweet man. if you were a first time caller (and i was everytime), he would beep a horn that was supposed to be a goose called "queen charlotte". yes, he will be missed.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cinco, I have Sirius and my partner had XM until he traded his chevy for a lexus and now he has Sirius too, so I have listened to both extensively. There are no public service annoucements for Charlotte so if a volcano were to erupt in Charlotte then you would have to find out about it by other means. Sirius does offer a local channel (traffic and weather) for the 20 largest markets in the USA, but CLT is not there yet.

thanks, that answers my question.

"Does Charlotte have any college radio stations?"

yes, gaston community college has a station (WSGE 91.7). it doesn't come in too good for me. from what i've heard, i'm just not into their dj's play selection. this is often the problem with college radio... sometimes it's not cohesive or when it is and you just can't stand the dj. @ WXDU in durham we had playlist that the station manager put together that we had to play a certain amount of songs from every hour. this added to the cohesiveness as well as made the dj search the playlist and discover new songs.

NCSU's radio station was a perfect example of a non-cohesive radio station.

Smooth jazz is like the only thing on FM radio that I like, and it's starting to sound more bland from listening to it in other markets, although I wish we had it in Charlotte.
You hit upon the main problem with smooth jazz radio, especially in smaller markets. There's a lot of good music out there, but a lot of times all you get to hear is the blander tracks.

My vote goes to WNCW, 88.7/100.3. (formerly 100.7). :thumbsup: I was driving down I-85 to Atlanta years ago searching for some tunes. I found 88.7. They were playing some great music. When they announced their call letters and location i about flipped. I could'nt believe good 'ol Isothermal Community College(my alma mater!) in Spindale had a radio station, much less play such cool music. I am a fan to this day!

One of the best radio stations that I have ever heard in this genre is Sirius's Acid Jazz station called The Chill. I never even knew there was such a thing as Acid Jazz until I started listening to satellite. Certainly not on FM.
Oh man, acid jazz is great. It's very fun to listen to.

No, you have to have a sirius or xm receiver. Both systems stream their music on the Internet, but you have to have broadband access and a web browser to access it. It is free if you subscribe.

Also Dish Network, includes all of the Sirius music channels in their subscriptions.

Ipod listeners are listening to the same songs. (which I think cost $1/each :ph34r: )

My only complaint is Simone Orendine's voice on 90.7 sort of irritates me.

ha,ha. MC, thats funny b/c i was just telling someone the other day how Jamie Bedrin's voice drives me crazy. you have to admit, though, that Simone Orendine is a great radio name.

Excuse my ignorance but internet radio (XM/Sirius) can be picked up from an IPOD?

I dropped iPod in favor of Creative players a long time ago, but I don't think this is true. I guess you could record streaming radio in iTunes and listen as an Mp3. I don't think there's an Mp3 player on the market that's capable of streaming internet radio yet. My Vision: M (like most other Creative players) has an FM tuner, but that's it.

WFAE has a new HD station. It might interest some of you who aren't happy with FM radio in Charlotte.

WFAE HD2, our digital HD radio channel, is also available to listen to online. WFAE is the first station in Charlotte to broadcast two programming channels on its digital signal. WFAE HD2 features the Triple-A (adult album alternative) format called XPoNential Radio, which showcases an electic blend of blues rock, world, folk and alternative country. XPoNential Radio can be heard on a digital HD Radio receiver or online.

P.S. I like Simone's voice. :) It's so familiar to me now. I can imagine WFAE without her there.

No, you have to have a sirius or xm receiver. Both systems stream their music on the Internet, but you have to have broadband access and a web browser to access it. It is free if you subscribe.

Also Dish Network, includes all of the Sirius music channels in their subscriptions.

Ipod listeners are listening to the same songs. (which I think cost $1/each :ph34r: )

nah I have a program on my ipod I bought at target and I can stream internet music, that I can't get on my delphi, it works nicely and was only in the mid $20s in price

each song is $.99 cents hehe, or 9.99 a cd, which is a good price for a cd

hehe, its a good gift too, you give someone a $15 gift card to itunes, they can get one brand new CD, plus 5-6 songs, so it works nicely, with cash at say best buy, you are getting one cd for this price, so I mean its still $.99 a song, but its a good deal

one time I got a 40 song 2 disk set for 9.99 that retailed for around 25 and I was very happy

You people do realize that using an ipod doesn't require loading it with music purchased from Itunes right?

I currently have around 7000 songs loaded up on mine, and maybe purchased 20 tracks from itunes. I also keep a good deal of podcasts so I can hear about things I am interested in while out and about.

Between that, and my lack of tv watching, I am almost completely ad free on a daily basis. It feels good to be free of annoying ads.

Okay, so it seems to be established that FM radio in Charlotte stinx and is getting worse. It is also clear that satellite radio is gaining ground fast.

It seems to me that there will be a time when things shift fast, when the numbers hit a low point on local FM that cause them to lose sponsors. That will, in turn, make content worse.

I think there will end up being some stations that remain, but it'll like turn out being like AM radio now, where only a handful of stations have content that anyone cares about.

So assuming my theory is true and FM will begin a rapid decline and most people end up with satellite radio, here is my question: is this another chapter in the death of regionalism? Is it bad that Charlotte could lose out on many of its local radio shows (Charlotte does pretty well as far as syndication of radio programs)? I think it could be good if it means that we no longer have the negative reputation of being slow to get good music. But it still could cause us to lose out on the benefits of locally based media.

This is my opinion, but Charlotte's shows that are syndicated really stink and I can only stomach them for as long as it takes me to change the channel. DJs that laugh at their own tired jokes get old pretty fast for me.

But I do agree that FM has been destroyed by being taken over by a few corporations. The days of local broadcasts that are relevant to a specific area are fast disappearing.

As a side note, technically Sirius and XM are both broadcasters in Charlotte. They operate terestrial repeaters so that if you are in the city itself you can pick up the signal with one of their receivers without being able to see the satellite. This is why satellite radio still works in the parking decks downtown. This fades out however as soon as you leave the city as neither repeater reaches Huntersville.

Archived