IN PROGRESS: Dutch Point Redevelopment

beerbeer

Hartford -- A blueprint for the future in a Hartford community. It's a $72-million five year plan to redevelop the Dutch Point Colony area on the fringe of downtown.

The city has already showed off a major success story in the Charter Oak-Zion section of town, where they turned a crime infested housing project into a successful shopping area.

Now, across town at Dutch Point, public housing developments are history and state of the art mixed housing is the future. Today's tour is for future residents, neighbors, and others interested in the transformation of the area from one known for crime and poverty to one of housing and hope.

Not only is new construction going up here but construction money is going to Hartford based minority businesses and workers. In all, the project is a $72-million undertaking over 5 years that will result in 127 rental units; 71 of which are being called home ownership housing.

The community itself is changing with household income up 15%, income from employment up 36%, and income from assistance down 65%.

A key part of the project is support services that will be provided for residents from case management and youth programs to G.E.D. classes and homeownership counseling.

The project is a partnership between H.U.D., the Hartford Housing Authority, the builder, and the Sheldon/Charter Oak Neighborhood Organization.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now if they can only do that to Westbrook Village, Bowles Park, and Nelton Court maybe we can see a little progress around here. That neighborhood will be very pricy in about 5 years. I would bet on it. Once Coltsville and Capewell are finished it's gonna be great over there.

• 2 years later...

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news6714.html

good article in the HBJ.

to think this was a crime ridden housing project just a few years ago.

now lets see the city replicate this around UHART

58 townhouse condominiums (in progress)

and 127 Apartments. open and occupied.

here is a snip

The condominiums, which vary in size from 1,008 to 1,064 square feet, will cost between $180,000 and $290,000.

They are part of a $73 million project launched in 2003 when the Hartford Housing Authority received a $20 million HOPE VI grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to overhaul the area located in the Sheldon-Charter Oak neighborhood immediately south of downtown.

During the past five years, 127 apartments have been built and leased.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news6714.html

good article in the HBJ.

to think this was a crime ridden housing project just a few years ago.

now lets see the city replicate this around UHART

58 townhouse condominiums (in progress)

and 127 Apartments. open and occupied.

here is a snip

The condominiums, which vary in size from 1,008 to 1,064 square feet, will cost between $180,000 and $290,000.

They are part of a $73 million project launched in 2003 when the Hartford Housing Authority received a $20 million HOPE VI grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to overhaul the area located in the Sheldon-Charter Oak neighborhood immediately south of downtown.

During the past five years, 127 apartments have been built and leased.

Exactly, it works and needs to replicated as soon as possible elsewhere in the city. Hartford should have no old style housing projects within it's borders. Stowe Village, Dutch Point, and Charter Oak Square are all gone and their former neighborhoods much improved. Next up is Westbrook Village, Bowles Park, and Nelton Court. Can't wait to see them go. They will not be missed!

It is such a shame that the markets are all destroyed right now. with this project being a relative success, this area could really use the capewell nail factory renovation to go through.

at one time the capewell was supposed to be 100+ condos and have two hotels in the 100+ room range.

such a shame as it would really tie this area together

It is such a shame that the markets are all destroyed right now. with this project being a relative success, this area could really use the capewell nail factory renovation to go through.

at one time the capewell was supposed to be 100+ condos and have two hotels in the 100+ room range.

such a shame as it would really tie this area together

That is definitely quite a shame. I really thought that the Capewell project was going to gain momentum, but then the first signs of the credit bubble bursting started to be seen and things just have not been moving at all since.

That is definitely quite a shame. I really thought that the Capewell project was going to gain momentum, but then the first signs of the credit bubble bursting started to be seen and things just have not been moving at all since.

sessir.

it is pretty safe to say that there are very few active projects left in Hartford.

Exactly, it works and needs to replicated as soon as possible elsewhere in the city. Hartford should have no old style housing projects within it's borders. Stowe Village, Dutch Point, and Charter Oak Square are all gone and their former neighborhoods much improved. Next up is Westbrook Village, Bowles Park, and Nelton Court. Can't wait to see them go. They will not be missed!

I agree completely. What is more bothersome is that both WB and BP are in areas with plenty potential. I really think someone should put together a "down with Westbrook" committee together...lol

• 1 year later...

so I can see Dutch point from my break room at work, and construction is definately back on 100% with this project.

I am guessing its the whole multi phase thing, so I will have to re-read this thread to remind myself whats actually being built right now.

but if I recall it should just be another block or so of townhomes or apartments just like the others.

on a related note...

I drive through coltsville 2 days ago and its really quite nice. the ugly end is definately pointed towards I 91, and the whole area around the factory and those old bunker looking homes is quite charming. it reminds me of the mills in Manchester.

If Dutch point turns out nice, and maybe capewell ever happens, this area would really have a chance. (remembering the 20 million streetscape plan and eventual expansion at colt.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

i was noticing today while in a meeting that there are some huge piles of dirt over there right now and they look newish. so I guess the next phase is well under way.

sm.jpg

http://www.dutchpointapts.com/sitemap.html

site map O fun

looking at google maps I see they also updated their image. its pretty recent, but does not show the most recent work being done.

right now they would be building the last couple sections of townhomes along Stonington St as well as the section along the east side of Dutch Point Ln. and another section on the corner of patsy williams way and dutch point Ln

I hope this area manages to climb out of the deep whole it once was in.

just like every other part of hartfoed, there is SO MUCH POTENTIAL HERE

Archived